Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Originally posted by SkippyJack View Post
    Exhibit A- Dykstra item in current Jackrabbit Auction. Starting bid is $50. SDSU probably won't make zillions out of this and the Lusignan jersey and the signed football helmet etc. however, imagine the $$$ UConn are making out of Shabazz Napier items while he goes to bed "starving."
    A small stipend is justified. If a player blows it all on pot and tats and still goes to bed starving that is on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think thats sort of a seperate issue. I think if a player wants to use his stuff and sign it and sell it on his own to profit from it while not stealing stuff, but if he signs a bunch of basketball balls and wants to sell um on Ebay to make a few bucks, i have no issue with that. SDSU also needs to raise money to pay for stuff too. There are really only a handful of schools and programs that could probbaly handel paying athletes with out raising the cost of tickets, or cutting sports, or taking on huge amounts of expenses to cover it.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      I think thats sort of a seperate issue. I think if a player wants to use his stuff and sign it and sell it on his own to profit from it while not stealing stuff, but if he signs a bunch of basketball balls and wants to sell um on Ebay to make a few bucks, i have no issue with that. SDSU also needs to raise money to pay for stuff too. There are really only a handful of schools and programs that could probbaly handel paying athletes with out raising the cost of tickets, or cutting sports, or taking on huge amounts of expenses to cover it.
      Do you really think the NCAA and its member schools want athletes signing and selling jerseys?

Hypothetically speaking, SDSU wouldn't be able to raise much money off Nate Wolters photographs if his roommates have been flooding the Brookings community with authentic signed Jackrabbit gear.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
        John Calipari released a new book yesterday called Players First:Coaching from the Inside Out, and I plan on buying it. In the book he describes how to make the NCAA better and a few other things.
        John Calipari would be a great place to go on this type of stuff. Isn't he the only coach in NCAA history to have national titles vacated at 2 different schools? I'm wondering how long it will be before he gets busted for his "recruiting" tactics at Kentucky. He is a really good coach but he isn't much for NCAA rules. I think his book will be really good for college basketball players. I wonder if he will touch the whole problem about the other sports the NCAA has to finance or just look out for basketball and it's players. He does know basketball well enough that it should be a really interesting read.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
          John Calipari would be a great place to go on this type of stuff. Isn't he the only coach in NCAA history to have national titles vacated at 2 different schools? I'm wondering how long it will be before he gets busted for his "recruiting" tactics at Kentucky. He is a really good coach but he isn't much for NCAA rules. I think his book will be really good for college basketball players. I wonder if he will touch the whole problem about the other sports the NCAA has to finance or just look out for basketball and it's players. He does know basketball well enough that it should be a really interesting read.
          That is a pretty ignorant comment. At UMass, he had a final four taken away because Marcus Camby took money from an agent during the Final Four and Camby's own roommate didn't even know. At Memphis, Derrick Rose was busted for having someone take his SAT for him because he couldn't pass it. Calipari wasn't the only high profile school recruiting him, it just so happened he went to Memphis where Calipari was coaching there and he got that Final Four taken away. Calipari has never been found to have violated any rules nor has he been reprimanded. He has never violated any recruiting rules nor does he need to at Kentucky
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            Excepting the fact that the NCAA doesn't allow their Student Athletes to sell their stuff. Exhibits B and C Johnny Manziel and Dominic Artis. They went about it in different ways but.....
            The point is that the NCAA and some Universities are making bank off what is essentially indentured workers when their own rules prohibit the athletes making a red cent off their own labors. For the minority there is the lure of an NBA or NFL payday but for the majority they put their bodies on the line for an education and are happy to do so. Should they get paid a wage? I don't think so. Should they get a small annual stipend to cover out of pocket expenses? I have no problem with that. I'm also happy to make it increase each year the student stays in school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

That is a pretty ignorant comment. At UMass, he had a final four taken away because Marcus Camby took money from an agent during the Final Four and Camby's own roommate didn't even know. At Memphis, Derrick Rose was busted for having someone take his SAT for him because he couldn't pass it. Calipari wasn't the only high profile school recruiting him, it just so happened he went to Memphis where Calipari was coaching there and he got that Final Four taken away. Calipari has never been found to have violated any rules nor has he been reprimanded. He has never violated any recruiting rules nor does he need to at Kentucky
              I don't think his comment was ignorant at all.

John Calipari is as dirty as they come - he just hasn't been caught red-handed yet. He maintains his distance though handlers so that he can keep deniability. You think Calipari didn't know that someone else was taking Rose's SAT?

In his book Calipari talks about ways to improve the NCAA student-athlete model and supposedly has even offered to be the "leader" on this movement and assist the NCAA.

The NCAA wanted nothing to do with him and politely told him to go away.

Too bad John Cheney never got his hands on him.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post

John Calipari is as dirty as they come - he just hasn't been caught red-handed yet. He maintains his distance though handlers so that he can keep deniability. You think Calipari didn't know that someone else was taking Rose's SAT?

In his book Calipari talks about ways to improve the NCAA student-athlete model and supposedly has even offered to be the "leader" on this movement and assist the NCAA.

Keep thinking that. Calipari has never been accused nor convicted of doing anything wrong. No, Calipari did not know that Rose had somebody take the SAT for him. As far as his book, ESPN wrote an article with his main points: www.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10760355/kentucky-wildcats-coach-john-calipari-likens-ncaa-dying-soviet-union-new-book
                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  I've got a solution.

We will pay all college athletes minimum wage for the time they spend practicing, training, watching film, etc. They can then pay for their own education.
                  It's been almost 60 years since the NCAA started allowing formal scholarships. In that time there has been billions of dollars made off the backs of these athletes. Adding $200 a month and some kind of extended health care for injuries suffered to their scholarships seems pretty reasonable to me.

Comment

Thanks for showing us what a ignorant comment really looks like.

Comment

The NCAA hates Cal, Cal hates the NCAA. At this point, I'm inclined to take Calipari's integrity over the NCAA rulebook. Cal is doing as much or more than anybody else in exposing the NCAA for what it is. The more I hear him talk, the more I like what he has to say. I can see why he is such a great recruiter.

Duke and Coach K had a player get fronted $60,000 worth of jewelry. The NCAA found no violations... because the player and the jeweler reached a confidential settlement so there was nobody left to tell the NCAA what happened. How convenient. Coach K gets to keep his national championship and Duke fans can keep thinking Cal should have known what Marcus Camby was doing in his free time.

BTW, according to an O'Reilly interview I watched with Coach Cal, they keep a very tight rein on Kentucky players now. Team housing, no guests, NBA security on the road, etc. A Marcus Camby type situation is not likely to happen at Kentucky. Honestly, it sounds like a guy who learned something - fool me twice, shame on me.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Keep thinking that. Calipari has never been accused nor convicted of doing anything wrong. No, Calipari did not know that Rose had somebody take the SAT for him. As far as his book, ESPN wrote an article with his main points: www.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10760355/kentucky-wildcats-coach-john-calipari-likens-ncaa-dying-soviet-union-new-book
                        If you want to continue thinking that these coaches are clean, especially Coach Cal, you go right on thinking that. The only ones that get caught are the ones that get sloppy.

I suppose you don't think there are any bag men that work for $EC football either?

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          Duke and Coach K had a player get fronted $60,000 worth of jewelry. The NCAA found no violations... because the player and the jeweler reached a confidential settlement so there was nobody left to tell the NCAA what happened. How convenient. Coach K gets to keep his national championship and Duke fans can keep thinking Cal should have known what Marcus Camby was doing in his free time.
                          You and I have hashed this one out before. I'm not naïve enough to think something shady didn't go down.

At the same time, I do think players should be able to take out loans for "expensive things" based on potential future income. If that's a risk the lender is willing to take, so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                            Thanks for showing us what a ignorant comment really looks like.
                            Stay classy Jack Power. How bout you add something original for a change. Or maybe you're in a bad mood because mommy refused to cut the crust off your PB&J after school snack today?

Comment

You and I have hashed this one out before. I'm not naïve enough to think something shady didn't go down.

At the same time, I do think players should be able to take out loans for "expensive things" based on potential future income. If that's a risk the lender is willing to take, so be it.
                              I agree. Although it seems kind of silly for players to have to take out loans while schools like Louisville rake in over $40 million in basketball alone.

Devil's advocate, not directed specifically at you: what would be so bad about paying college athletes according to their ability to earn and cutting sports the schools could no longer afford? Is the world that much worse off if the equestrian team goes away?

I'm having a hard time figuring out what sports have to do with a college education in the first place.

Comment

I still don't understand why we have zero issue with everyone else getting paid but the athletes. No one cares that ESPN makes tons of money. No one cares that CBS makes a ton of money. No one cares that coaches and universities make money. But the thought of a player buying food, or a PS3, or *gasp* a tattoo!? **** the players.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X