Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Why is the point he shouldnt have to take out a loan? Students who get academic scholarships if need extra money they take out loans so why not athletes? Again no one forces kids to play college sports, they could do other things until they try to go pro. Thats the point.
    Students who get academic scholarships don't make their university tons of money. They aren't equal; stop pretending that they are.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      Students who get academic scholarships don't make their university tons of money. They aren't equal; stop pretending that they are.
      So they arent all students? Interesting.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        So they arent all students? Interesting.
        Interesting is your lack of ability comprehend simple English.

I didn't say they weren't all students. I said they are not equal. SDSU gave me an academic scholarship. Nobody spent a couple thousand dollars to come watch me write a paper.

Comment

I didn't say they weren't all students. I said they are not equal. SDSU gave me an academic scholarship. Nobody spent a couple thousand dollars to come watch me write a paper.
          Goon, RO is indeed an academic whiz and we have watched him bestow his skills on others. like myself, for instance, and I did not have to pay $2,000.00 to enjoy his wrath. That was free of course. Opps attacking posters and not posts. Enough said.

Comment

You may have some trouble defending that statement. My son attended a large research university and he received $25K , health insurance, and the tuition for his Phd program. Do you think that there might be some private money using these programs and giving the university money for the research? I am guessing that the university was not losing money on these graduate programs. The students who were involved in these programs still borrowed money for some expenses and graduated with some debt that may not have been necessary. It was typical behavior involving car loans and "needed" vacations.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Under title IX their is no possible way the NCAA can survive a unionization of student athletes in the revenue sports. Nobody can afford to pay every student athlete in every sport at the NCAA level. I don't think the best athletes are going to continue to allow the NCAA to exploit them. Ultimately, the solution probably resides in a future where professional leagues further develop their minor leagues to allow high school athletes that want to be paid and that don't want to go to college to sign professional contracts. There are still plenty of really good to great athletes that are more than happy to accept a full ride scholarship and get a great education while playing a sport they love. Seems to me that is more likely to be the scenario than the one I describe prior.
              Something close to this is a lot more likely IMO, and certainly more possible, than the earlier point in your discussion. There is not an easy solution, but I am all for putting the one and dones (who in most cases now only go to college to display their wares and get the highest offer they can in the draft) out of the picture in some way...moving them into the professional ranks a different way.

Comment

If someone went to bed hungry all the time,they'd lose weight, be mal-nourished and not be able to perform at the high level the athletic department would want them to.They wouldn't have the stamina, strength,or energy that athletes display every game.This persons argument seems to go contrary to common sense.More like "sensationalism" to me.

This individual should watch the movie "Attack on Leningrad" to better understand what going to bed hungry really means.
                Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-21-2014, 06:37 PM.

Comment

I getting the feeling that you get when you beat a dead horse. So with this subject matter of this thread. Lot of good points and posts made. Even RO's were very good. I don't envy President Chicoine, as no doubt this topic will come up at various meetings. Trying to decide what is good for an institution such as SDSU is slippery slop at best. Who knows we could be applying for NAIA membership somewhere done the road.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    If someone went to bed hungry all the time,they'd lose weight, be mal-nourished and not be able to perform at the high level the athletic department would want them to.They wouldn't have the stamina, strength,or energy that athletes display every game.This persons argument seems to go contrary to common sense.More like "sensationalism" to me.

This individual should watch the movie "Attack on Leningrad" to better understand what going to bed hungry really means.
                    Jesus ****ing Christ

Comment

So only students who play sports deserve to make money going to college and get paid? Something along those lines? Some how its unfair to give them just a scholarship while a student who maybe on the swim team doesn't draw in revenue so only one of them must be getting exploited oh the world is so unfair to those lucky few isn't it. . So only the athletes from programs that make money for the university should get paid? Or is it only fair to pay all athletes which is my point that if on athetic or academic scholarship that only a few make money for the school but its not fair to only pay the revenue producing athletes. yet others on scholarship for academics or the tennis team etc get loans and such to help pay for living expenses.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I still don't understand why we have zero issue with everyone else getting paid but the athletes. No one cares that ESPN makes tons of money. No one cares that CBS makes a ton of money. No one cares that coaches and universities make money. But the thought of a player buying food, or a PS3, or *gasp* a tattoo!? **** the players.
                        Or drugs

Comment

I say make college athletes have paid salaries, above the scholarships they already receive. Why not make the mess that it college athletics even more crooked and messier-er?

Comment

Jesus ****ing Christ
                            This isn't about Him,just somebody who thinks he is Him.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbajack View Post
                              I say make college athletes have paid salaries, above the scholarships they already receive. Why not make the mess that it college athletics even more crooked and messier-er?
                              They are already getting a free education and now unlimited meals so no athletes will "starve" anymore. That should be enough imo. If they don't want to take advantage of a free education that's on them. If they are worried about money go play professional overseas or on some semi-pro team in the US. The higher D1 athletes are just getting greedier.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                                They are already getting a free education and now unlimited meals so no athletes will "starve" anymore. That should be enough imo. If they don't want to take advantage of a free education that's on them. If they are worried about money go play professional overseas or on some semi-pro team in the US. The higher D1 athletes are just getting greedier.
                                Wasn't aware of this...When the college football season (and more or less March Madness) ends I don't pay attention to college athletics much outside of spring ball.

Comment

Working...
                                X