Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Originally posted by goon View Post
    First its has to be comparing the same university. Sdsu d2 and d1. Does sdsu d1 applicant get the job over sdsu d2? If that's was the case that going to college that is d1 then no one would ever go d2 or d3 or naia. So in your situation with u of m and mankato the value could be assessed to it being d1 but I have a hard time beliving that many grads are picked for a job based with the deciding factor their college was D1 compared to the other applicant. Unless some here knows for a fact they were hired because sdsu is d1 I would be pleasantly surprised.
    If D1 VS D2 is the hiring criteria, a bunch of folks would get hired that are not qualified. I don't think there is any job hiring based on this narrow criteria. Any one who would use this simple rule of thumb, would end up unemployed themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      If D1 VS D2 is the hiring criteria, a bunch of folks would get hired that are not qualified. I don't think there is any job hiring based on this narrow criteria. Any one who would use this simple rule of thumb, would end up unemployed themselves.
      That's exactly one of my points.

I completely agree.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

That's exactly one of my points.

I completely agree.
        Literally no one is saying that a degree is worth more when the school is D1 instead of D2 just because. What people are saying is that going D1 has brought national exposure to the school and program and has got SDSUs name out there in areas outside the Midwest.
        Last edited by witness; 04-25-2014, 11:53 PM.
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
          Literally no one is saying that a degree is worth more when the school is D1 instead of D2 just because. What people are saying is that going D1 has brought national exposure to the school and program and has got SDSUs name out there in areas outside the Midwest.
          Yeah making espn highlights. During the ncaa tourney had more people hear about sdsu across the scroll bar but let's be real most sports outlets still couldn't keep us straight between usd ndsu and san diego state so people watching 20 second clip of wolters aren't going to say I never heard of that sdsu before but they must be a good school.

One thing that could actually benefit students and I am not sure how being d1 would relate to an increase is research money. That could be a direct connect to having more research money coming to sdsu benefiting more or atleast the top students. That could add to a students value for a job then just having d1 sports. Again not sure how the research money would increase from being d1 to d2 but if there is some correlation that's a benefit being d1 from D2.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Yeah making espn highlights. During the ncaa tourney had more people hear about sdsu across the scroll bar but let's be real most sports outlets still couldn't keep us straight between usd ndsu and san diego state so people watching 20 second clip of wolters aren't going to say I never heard of that sdsu before but they must be a good school.

One thing that could actually benefit students and I am not sure how being d1 would relate to an increase is research money. That could be a direct connect to having more research money coming to sdsu benefiting more or atleast the top students. That could add to a students value for a job then just having d1 sports. Again not sure how the research money would increase from being d1 to d2 but if there is some correlation that's a benefit being d1 from D2.
            What world do you live in? One of the main reasons SDSU went D-1 was to increase not only the exposure of your university, but to enhance its image. And quite frankly, it's working. Just like it is at NDSU, USD, and so on.

The point they are all making on the discussion between the two candidates is the job most likely would go to the applicant that came from a more prestigious school. U of M would trump Minnesota State. Sports plays a significant role in positioning ones school in the job world. I sat in on discussions both times USD pondered whether or not to move up. And two things were quite apparent in those discussions. The forts was name recognition. That ESPN scroll was worth something like $1.8M in "free advertising" for the school ( and that was 10 years ago), and the second thing that came out loud and clear was the gain in "prestige".

Think about it, if that wasn't the case, why would any of us had gone to D-1 other than ego? There would be absolutely nothing wrong with remaining in the old North Central Conference. Your operating budget would be significantly lower, and less public money would have been put to athletics. Going D-1 was the correct move, but you could have and would have survived had you not.

Comment

What world do you live in? One of the main reasons SDSU went D-1 was to increase not only the exposure of your university, but to enhance its image. And quite frankly, it's working. Just like it is at NDSU, USD, and so on.

The point they are all making on the discussion between the two candidates is the job most likely would go to the applicant that came from a more prestigious school. U of M would trump Minnesota State. Sports plays a significant role in positioning ones school in the job world. I sat in on discussions both times USD pondered whether or not to move up. And two things were quite apparent in those discussions. The first was name recognition. That ESPN scroll was worth something like $1.8M in "free advertising" for the school ( and that was 10 years ago), and the second thing that came out loud and clear was the gain in "prestige".

Think about it, if that wasn't the case, why would any of us had gone to D-1 other than ego? There would be absolutely nothing wrong with remaining in the old North Central Conference. Your operating budget would be significantly lower, and less public money would have been put to athletics. Going D-1 was the correct move, but you could have and would have survived had you not.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post

The point they are all making on the discussion between the two candidates is the job most likely would go to the applicant that came from a more prestigious school. U of M would trump Minnesota State. Sports plays a significant role in positioning ones school in the job world. I sat in on discussions both times USD pondered whether or not to move up. And two things were quite apparent in those discussions. The first was name recognition. That ESPN scroll was worth something like $1.8M in "free advertising" for the school ( and that was 10 years ago), and the second thing that came out loud and clear was the gain in "prestige".

Thank you. Even a Yote can pick up on this point .

Comment

So why would anyone ever go d2 or d3 or naia schools since the only people who hire will hire d1 applicants? I probably way in the minority here but I contend its more program recognition and academic success that is what will get them hired. I have no doubt in my mind that if an engineer from mines and tech applied for a job that they wouldn't get it because they aren't d1. Any hiring person worth a hill of beans knows they are a top engineering school. Same with sdsu. No hiring directer said let's hire this sdsu engineer because they had this kid named wolters or I saw the sore on espn. I guess if your an employee like assistant ad and you want to move on a school wouldn't maybe consider you first since being a d1 program but not benefiting any students. I don't expect to get every one to agree with me but I don't see any correlation to d1 sports teams and enhancing job hiring chances. My last post on the subject.

Comment

I'm of the mindset that a degree in Engineering from one school to the next is pretty much the same in what's taught and what the students are supposed to learn.Some are supposed to be more "prestigious " than others for whatever reason,longer teaching (older school),more high profile professors,who knows why in the world of academia.It's just commonly accepted as so,so it remains that way.

Going from Div 2 to Div 1 for SDSU might, to a small degree,make a difference to someone put in charge of hiring,or not.
                    I myself,would be far more interested in if that person i hired was,for example, between two applicants, a person last in his class at Harvard,or another first in his class at SDSU.I'd take the latter in a heartbeat.

Individual merit trumps where you got your degree from to me.Too many take advantage of "hype" ,too many subscribe to it without question also,and too many are too lazy,who do the hiring,to fully vet,and just go with the "hype".
                    Yes ,in sports ,going from Div 2 to Div 1 is huge.JMO
                    Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-26-2014, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Heisman trophy winner, Jameis Winston was cited for shop lifting crab legs from a local supermarket. He must have been starving. Thank god the unlimited meals plan (came into effect August 1st). He has been suspended from the FSU baseball team.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                        Heisman trophy winner, Jameis Winston was cited for shop lifting crab legs from a local supermarket. He must have been starving. Thank god the unlimited meals plan (came into effect August 1st). He has been suspended from the FSU baseball team.
                        There's easier ways to get crabs.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                          There's easier ways to get crabs.
                          Had to laugh at that one!

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

Lol just another student exaggerating their circumstances. "Homeless." Should have gone with "starving." Lol. Typical entitled brat.

http://deadspin.com/homeless-footbal...ium=socialflow
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                                Lol just another student exaggerating their circumstances. "Homeless." Should have gone with "starving." Lol. Typical entitled brat.

http://deadspin.com/homeless-footbal...ium=socialflow
                                Three seconds. That's time it took me to google "homeless shelters in Boise, ID".

http://www.boiserm.org/

http://www.homelessshelterdirectory....Boise&state=ID

http://mayor.cityofboise.org/homelessness-programs/

http://interfaithsanctuary.org/

http://www.corpuschristiboise.org/

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?cat=Hom...Boise&state=ID

Surely he can find shelter in one of those places for a month.

I do hope he finds a bed.

*self edited original snarky post.
                                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Working...
                                X