Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Originally posted by slosho View Post
    Word!
    I remember making this very argument against our former AD in a SA meeting RE: reasons to/not to become D1 in sports. he told me my engineering degree was going to be worth more once SDSU went D1. LOL I still live in SD and have not got any benefit from the move with regards to my Degree. Sorry Fred, you were wrong about that then and your still wrong. It's just that I was the only one in the SA to stand up and point that out.

I still get mad to this very day thinking about his audacious and asinine statements.
    I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other, and not trying to call you out. However, is there a chance that graduating at/near the transition period may have had an impact? SDSU has only reaped real benefits from the DI move in the last 3-5 years, IMO.

While I agree there is not a huge impact for those who choose to stay in-state, I could see an increased awareness for those who choose to leave the state. Disagree if you want, but that adds value.

I know I have had multiple conversations with business people around the country regarding SDSU since the DI move. Early in the transition, clients weren't asking about SDSU. During the Wolters era, they were. Its only small talk, but it seems sort of valuable to me.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is, I can understand where Fred was coming from. In theory.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other, and not trying to call you out. However, is there a chance that graduating at/near the transition period may have had an impact? SDSU has only reaped real benefits from the DI move in the last 3-5 years, IMO.

While I agree there is not a huge impact for those who choose to stay in-state, I could see an increased awareness for those who choose to leave the state. Disagree if you want, but that adds value.

I know I have had multiple conversations with business people around the country regarding SDSU since the DI move. Early in the transition, clients weren't asking about SDSU. During the Wolters era, they were. Its only small talk, but it seems sort of valuable to me.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is, I can understand where Fred was coming from. In theory.
      I agree. The increased exposure is worth something to some people. May not help everyone, but it helps some.

I look at it this way. If you tell someone you graduated from the U of Minn or Minn St Mankato. Which one has more pop?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        I agree. The increased exposure is worth something to some people. May not help everyone, but it helps some.

I look at it this way. If you tell someone you graduated from the U of Minn or Minn St Mankato. Which one has more pop?
        If Mankato was D1 or D2 would that change your views of them or add more pop? I dont think it would to me.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          If Mankato was D1 or D2 would that change your views of them or add more pop? I dont think it would to me.
          He's not saying a degree is worth more because a school is D1, he is saying a school that is D1 gets more national exposure than a D2 school and gets SDSUs name out there for graduates who might want to move out of the Midwest for a job.
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
            He's not saying a degree is worth more because a school is D1, he is saying a school that is D1 gets more national exposure than a D2 school and gets SDSUs name out there for graduates who might want to move out of the Midwest for a job.
            I didnt say it was worth more, but I dont see how enhances an academic program because people in texas are aware of their sports teams? SDSU nursing is pretty good and I would think hospitals and clinics who hire would know sdsu based on the reputation of the academic program and its graduates..........I doubt someone is hiring someone from SDSU just because the sports teams have a national exposure. Its small talk at best unless its something directly connected to athletics like some one from admin or atheltic Dept moving on somewhere.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

I didnt say it was worth more, but I dont see how enhances an academic program because people in texas are aware of their sports teams? SDSU nursing is pretty good and I would think hospitals and clinics who hire would know sdsu based on the reputation of the academic program and its graduates..........I doubt someone is hiring someone from SDSU just because the sports teams have a national exposure. Its small talk at best unless its something directly connected to athletics like some one from admin or atheltic Dept moving on somewhere.
              Ugh.

It doesn't enhance the academic program, and it's not what he's saying. He said that it would be more valuable to a person with a degree from a school that more people know. So if my degree were from SDSU, and I apply for a job in Kansas, my degree is more valuable to me if the person in Kansas knows about SDSU. The only point he was making is that since SDSU moved D1, more people nationwide know about SDSU, thus the degree becomes more valuable.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                Ugh.

It doesn't enhance the academic program, and it's not what he's saying. He said that it would be more valuable to a person with a degree from a school that more people know. So if my degree were from SDSU, and I apply for a job in Kansas, my degree is more valuable to me if the person in Kansas knows about SDSU. The only point he was making is that since SDSU moved D1, more people nationwide know about SDSU, thus the degree becomes more valuable.
                Sigh,

It can only be if they did not know about SDSU before. If your a pharmacy grad, or engineering or nursing or Ag, most of those programs are probably pretty well known in those industries, the only value could be added if they only knew about SDSU because they are now D-1. But the true value could only be added if their knowledge of SDSU was a deciding factor in getting hired. Otherwise there is no net benefit if they have heard of the school or not depending on if its D1 or D2. I doubt that if they had heard of a school or now would be the sole factor in if that person is hired so it seems a moot point of any true added value. But that is just my opinion.

Comment

Its election day at Northwestern. I wonder if the bars in Evanston are closed.

On a serious note, it just sunk into my mind, what the institutions argument such as Northwestern is using in court. Athletes are students, and not employees. Seems like that will hold water. To define the student/athletes as employee will take some doing. I trying to recall from my CPA Law review how the UCC defines employees. You have to have control over their actions and furnish all the tools to complete the job which the institutions do have, but they also have to be compensated a fair wage, and this is where I fall off the chart. I am lost, and am awaiting how this all plays out in court.

Comment

Sigh,

It can only be if they did not know about SDSU before.
                    That's exactly what he's saying ... More people know about SDSU than before. That's literally his entire point.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

On a serious note, it just sunk into my mind, what the institutions argument such as Northwestern is using in court. Athletes are students, and not employees. Seems like that will hold water. To define the student/athletes as employee will take some doing. I trying to recall from my CPA Law review how the UCC defines employees. You have to have control over their actions and furnish all the tools to complete the job which the institutions do have, but they also have to be compensated a fair wage, and this is where I fall off the chart. I am lost, and am awaiting how this all plays out in court.
                      While the official results probably won't be known for some time,i did catch this tweet fwiw:

Chris@insidethefilm 6h
                      well then RT @CEmmaScout: A high-placed #Northwestern source believes the union receives in the range of 60 'No' votes out of 75 players.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        That's exactly what he's saying ... More people know about SDSU than before. That's literally his entire point.
                        That in it self does not add value imho unless something is gained from them knowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

This raises a lot of employee/employer issues doesn't it?Can employer define the job requirments,and fire anyone who doesn't perform the job to their satisfaction,since they are paying a wage and have a right to expect some production from the employees they "hire".This is just one Employee/employer issue,I'm sure their will be more.

Will the student athlete,(employee) have more,or less,freedom?I wonder.
                          I guess a lot depends on how strong the players union is they develop.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                            This raises a lot of employee/employer issues doesn't it?Can employer define the job requirments,and fire anyone who doesn't perform the job to their satisfaction,since they are paying a wage and have a right to expect some production from the employees they "hire".This is just one Employee/employer issue,I'm sure their will be more.
                            You can get "fired" in college sports right now. It's called not renewing their scholarship.
                            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

That in it self does not add value imho unless something is gained from them knowing.
                              Lets say you have two potential employees. Both are equal when it comes to qualifications. They are literally flip a coin type candidates.

Now one went to a the University of Minnesota and one to Minnesota Mankato. Most people would pick the candidate from the U of M because there is some intrisic value in a degree from that institution.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                                Lets say you have two potential employees. Both are equal when it comes to qualifications. They are literally flip a coin type candidates.

Now one went to a the University of Minnesota and one to Minnesota Mankato. Most people would pick the candidate from the U of M because there is some intrisic value in a degree from that institution.
                                First its has to be comparing the same university. Sdsu d2 and d1. Does sdsu d1 applicant get the job over sdsu d2? If that's was the case that going to college that is d1 then no one would ever go d2 or d3 or naia. So in your situation with u of m and mankato the value could be assessed to it being d1 but I have a hard time beliving that many grads are picked for a job based with the deciding factor their college was D1 compared to the other applicant. Unless some here knows for a fact they were hired because sdsu is d1 I would be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Working...
                                X