• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• witness
    replied
    Re: Marcus Smart shoves fan

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I wont vouch for them either. It was mentioned earlier, but I've heard some of our students comments along the fence behind the visitors bench...I've attempted to shut them up, but they ignore me like the players ignore them.
    Haha. I mentioned that I have seen stuff similar to that earlier in this thread that I have heard other students say things before. I just shook my head and walked away. I did notice that none of the players reacted them or even looked at them and nothing escalated.

Leave a comment:

• witness
    replied

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Smart realized what he had done and the repercussions that come with it and tried to say the fan used a racial slur as he knows that fan is notorious for saying things to players to try to get out of it in the heat of the moment regardless of what the fan actually said. At least that's what I would do right after I realized I shoved a fan. Would Smart apologize to the fan by name if he actually called him a racial slur. One coach that apologized to Marshall Henderson after he was caught saying "F*** you" to him didn't even use his name in his apology. I wouldn't apologize to somebody, much less by name if they truly disrespected me like that.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the fan used a racial slur but besides what was actually said both are at fault.

Leave a comment:

• RowdyRabbit
    replied

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    I won't vouch for our (or any other) student section. There are idiots in every bunch. I think it would be tough to predict how our student section reacts with Lawrence Alexander suddenly thrown in the middle...

A situation like Smart's happens pretty much at least once every basketball season. Sometimes, it happens in Detroit and millionaires lose a few paychecks. Once, Sir Charles Barkeley spit on someone. Dennis Rodman kicked a cameraman. College and high school tend to be a little more controlled, but I've seen fairly questionable fan behavior even at junior high games.

In basketball, more than any other sport I can think of, the line between athletes and the stands is small or non-existant. I say it somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but the walls around the court at Frost could be a good thing in this particular instance.
    I wont vouch for them either. It was mentioned earlier, but I've heard some of our students comments along the fence behind the visitors bench...I've attempted to shut them up, but they ignore me like the players ignore them.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

What bothers me most about this "fan" is how proud of himself he looked right after the incident.

Leave a comment:

• SF_Rabbit_Fan
    replied

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
    The fans around this idiot are probably so use to his garbage, they dont react to what he says.
    This was my thought as well...

Leave a comment:

• SF_Rabbit_Fan
    replied

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I would hope it would not happen at Frost. The Summit is pretty tame compared to the B12.
    I won't vouch for our (or any other) student section. There are idiots in every bunch. I think it would be tough to predict how our student section reacts with Lawrence Alexander suddenly thrown in the middle...

A situation like Smart's happens pretty much at least once every basketball season. Sometimes, it happens in Detroit and millionaires lose a few paychecks. Once, Sir Charles Barkeley spit on someone. Dennis Rodman kicked a cameraman. College and high school tend to be a little more controlled, but I've seen fairly questionable fan behavior even at junior high games.

In basketball, more than any other sport I can think of, the line between athletes and the stands is small or non-existant. I say it somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but the walls around the court at Frost could be a good thing in this particular instance.

Leave a comment:

• mitchellrabbit
    replied

Originally posted by jack power View Post
    Understandable. I don't know what pushes his buttons. 2 weeks ago he assaulted a chair during a game. About a week later he got a technical late in a game. They were struggling in this game. When you add all that up,maybe his boiling point was something less than a racial slur? I don't know. Also,the people around this fan don't "look" like they just heard someone yell a racial slur.
    The fans around this idiot are probably so use to his garbage, they dont react to what he says.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I would hope it would not happen at Frost. The Summit is pretty tame compared to the B12.
    The IUPUI coach Hunter I think had some pretty not nice things to say about NDSU a few years ago. Maybe an NDSU poster can fill in the details since I dont recall extactly what it was.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    Somewhat related to the thread topic is the fact that an incident like this couldn't happen at frost because there are 5 foot walls between the players and crowd on 3 sides.

Leave a comment:

• SF_Rabbit_Fan
    replied

Somewhat related to the thread topic is the fact that an incident like this couldn't happen at frost because there are 5 foot walls between the players and crowd on 3 sides.

Leave a comment:

• MaddogJack
    replied

Originally posted by jack power View Post
    Also,the people around this fan don't "look" like they just heard someone yell a racial slur.
    THIS^^

Makes me think of "game face" or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqKTKUvbVsA

What does one "look" like when they heard someone yell a racial slur??

Leave a comment:

• jack power
    replied

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    To me, his reaction "looked" like he had been called a racial slur. Does that mean anything? No. Does it mean that's what he was called? Again, no. But that's what his reaction "looked" like to me.
    Understandable. I don't know what pushes his buttons. 2 weeks ago he assaulted a chair during a game. About a week later he got a technical late in a game. They were struggling in this game. When you add all that up,maybe his boiling point was something less than a racial slur? I don't know. Also,the people around this fan don't "look" like they just heard someone yell a racial slur.

Leave a comment:

• jack power
    replied

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    http://newsok.com/oklahoma-state-bas...rticle/3932173

Smart says he was called a racial slur.

Fan says he said "something he shouldn't" have said, but said it wasn't racial.
    Thanks for the link. As far as i know,the only person(s) of the 15000 fans,media,player,etc to hear a racial slur was Marcus Smart.

Leave a comment:

• MaddogJack
    replied

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    And just to be clear , Smart didn't go into the stands to go after the fan. He went into the stands as the result of a play and basically landed right at the feet of the fan. Much different than in the NBA a few years ago when Ron Artest , or Metta World whatever he's calling himself now put a whupping on some fans.
    I heard something recently from Stephen Jackson about the altercation at Auburn Hills and when they were back in the locker room after getting ejected and cleared out after going into the stands, Artest said to Jackson very matter of fact "do you think we're gonna get in trouble"? HA!

Somewhere, there has to be culpability on the part of the home team to assure that fans like this are held to some sort of standard. Spitting on coaches (See ASU recently) and this OSU incident - call it the "Golden rule" or "Lakes rule" - you can't always be a tool.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

No doubt the emotional outburst earned the suspension, but what the fan said or did not say seems to be unclear in my mind. I don't think I have any idea what its like to be a minority. I have what is called white privilege which gives me a right to look down and say nasty things to people who are different than me. I totally agree with Jimmy Jack, that Texas Tech should take measures to bar fans who likewise break rules with emotional outbursts. This guy in the stands said he would not attend any of the remaining TTU games, now isn't that special.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X