Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drake fires head coach Mark Phelps

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Is there anyway that a coach could say be employed by the foundation so that multiple year contacts could be awarded?
    You could certainly structure the contract with the state in such a way that--say--coaches' shows and that sort of thing are compensated by the Foundation rather than included in his State salary. In essence, he'd be holding down two jobs--Head Coach of the Men's Basketball Team directly for the university, and a second job with the Foundation as Head Men's Basketball Coach, Promotions Diva And All Around Swell Guy, (or whatever) and pay him whatever you wanted out of Foundation money.

You could even (I imagine) offer a multi-year contract via the Foundation, that's contingent on his being retained by the university as head coach, and severance clauses in the Foundation's contract in the event he's dismissed by the university, or leaves for another position. I would imagine that in time the Foundation part of his compensation could be quite a bit larger than his direct state salary.

The devil would be in the details, but where there's a will, there's a way. It mainly would depend on what state law says about full-time state employees having other, outside employment that (in theory anyway) does not conflict with their state duties.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
      If I were them I'd look at Dane Fife. He was stuck in a bad situation at IPFW, that said being Izzo's assistant isn't a bad gig so who knows if he would take the job.
      I'd be surprised if he left for anything other then a big time coaching job. To leave a head coaching job (even at IPFW) for an assistant job tells me that the job must be pretty nice at Michigan State. Some believe he is the coach in waiting for Izzo, and I've heard his name brought up if Tubby is fired at Minnesota (though I think Flip Saunders is the next HC there).

Comment

I saw this posted on Bisonville and thought it was interesting. It was in a thread talking about the chances of going to the MVC. I think it kind of puts things into perspective as to where we stand and what we ask Coach Nagy to do with the budget he is given. We are much further behind than I would have imagined.

"Just for reference, here is what OPE Equity in Data reports for Men's Basketball "expenses" for the MVC. I don't see a breakout of what is counted and I believe the numbers are reported by the school, so accuracy depends on that, but it gives you an idea of how much money these schools put into basketball."

Wichita St $4,644,724
        Creighton $4,404,350
        Bradley $3,846,345
        UNI $2,449,710
        Drake $2,226,291
        Illlinois St $2,183,876
        Evansville $2,133,520
        SIU $2,063,684
        Missouri St $1,899,281
        Indiana St $1,704,707
        Average $2,755,649

NDSU $1,071,957
        SDSU $ 913,067
        Denver $2,512,912

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          I think that Austin Hanson is the guy who will be given first chance to take over the program if and when Nagy leaves.
          ^^^^^^^^THIS
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            You could certainly structure the contract with the state in such a way that--say--coaches' shows and that sort of thing are compensated by the Foundation rather than included in his State salary. In essence, he'd be holding down two jobs--Head Coach of the Men's Basketball Team directly for the university, and a second job with the Foundation as Head Men's Basketball Coach, Promotions Diva And All Around Swell Guy, (or whatever) and pay him whatever you wanted out of Foundation money.

You could even (I imagine) offer a multi-year contract via the Foundation, that's contingent on his being retained by the university as head coach, and severance clauses in the Foundation's contract in the event he's dismissed by the university, or leaves for another position. I would imagine that in time the Foundation part of his compensation could be quite a bit larger than his direct state salary.

The devil would be in the details, but where there's a will, there's a way. It mainly would depend on what state law says about full-time state employees having other, outside employment that (in theory anyway) does not conflict with their state duties.
            This is some novel thinking, imo, and might be how down the road SDSU does offer multi year contracts and high coaching salaries. I dont see many changes in the state law coming if you consider the non-controverial bill Senate No 11 received 10 negative votes. Allowing a coach to make more than the college president would not set well with the legislature, and even some BOR members might have problems with this issue. Given the current make up of SD Legislature thinking, and provide no existing SD law prevents the foundation from do this, it might be one of the changing roles of the SDSU Foundation. How many engineering buildings and student unions are needed in the near future? I think we are starting to get caught up on educational facilities, so maybe this is what the foundation needs to do next, but yes we still need to fund more athletic scholarships.

Comment

I think overall there isn't a ton that can be done, coaches salaries can be raised, assistant salaries can be raised but at SDSU there is a cap.

I think if SDSU wants to get to a solid level where coaches would only leave for big jobs, they would have to get somewhere near $200,000 for the HC, $100,000 for the #1 assistant and $60-70K for the other assistants. Up the recruiting budget, and buy some home games.

People can harp about the pay but Nagy isn't terribly underpaid and though it is technically a 1 year deal SDSU has shown that it won't fire a coach for little things. I look at more little things to keep a coach happy, such as scheduling more home games, paying assistants better and upping the recruiting budget.

Comment

Working...
              X