B1G Football To Stop Playing FCS Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: B1G Football To Stop Playing FCS Schools

I understand why they are doing it. They want to add a conference game, and want to help with the SOS in the conference. I do wonder how the contracts in place (13 for the MVFC after 2013 already signed and announced), probably a few more not announced as well.

could hurt with recruiting locally a little bit, seemed that there have been a player or 2 that have looked forward to that game from their home state.

I still think the program will schedule FBS games, the money is too good not to, my guess is more though of Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Colorado, Colorado St., Kansas State, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      I still think the program will schedule FBS games, the money is too good not to, my guess is more though of Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Colorado, Colorado St., Kansas State, etc.
      I think your right with the teams we will probably try to play, but I would like to do it every other year. becaause I wont get off my high horse that getting a 6th home game is vital for SDSU sustaining sucsess. having an extra game every year might make that 8-9 win range much more possible for playoffs. and with a new stadium on the horizon, a new bigger stadium and more butts in the seats and more local fan interest and more consession sales and more merch sales etc would help offset the loss of potential BCS games. It might hurt are recruiting, but having 6 home games with 15K in the stands will entice others.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
        Two reasons why they did it. Eliminates the potential upsets of losing to FCS teams and gives them excuse why they aren't playing them, and it would hopefully improve SOS for BCS and then the playoff formula.
        With the Big 10 going to become the Big 18 or whatever it will be in a few years , I think you will see at least one,and maybe more conference games added to the schedule. Everything the conference does is done to generate more $ through the Big 10 Network. Each team playing one more conference game ,plus playing only FBS schools will draw better ratings,and thus more advertising $. Same reason why basketball games like the Jacks vs Gophers are broadcast on-line rather than on the actual TV network.

Comment

Do any FCS confrences have a TV network?
          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Ploy to try and reduce the guarantee $$ on the contracts? Speaking out loud about ways to improve individual programs standings as they vie for inclusion in the "playoffs"? I think its a little bit of both of those things.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
              Do any FCS confrences have a TV network?
              As far as SDSU goes,and USD and rest of Summit (our entire conference,I'm thinking),we sell our media rights for xx amt of dollars .They then,(Learfield)get their money from the big sports networks and from advertising I assume,and either, in the course of the contact, make a profit or incur a loss.In SDSU's case,it's Learfield sports.As far as other FCS conferences,I'm not aware of any,as of yet,who manage their own network.Learfield has many contracts with schools,I'm sure no one pulls for them more than Learfield,to make the NCAA tournament,and be successful,except for the fans,of course.

Link: for a better explanation of Learfield deal: http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...arfield+sports
              Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-14-2013, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X