B1G Football To Stop Playing FCS Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1G Football To Stop Playing FCS Schools

Barry Alvarez announced this on his radio show tonight.

Looks like it will begin for the 2014 season..

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/190943281.html

Re: B1G Football To Stop Playing FCS Schools

They must be tired of losing.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
      They must be tired of losing.
      Also this is terrible for us.

Comment

I think it's a smart move.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Wouldn't it be so that B1G schools schedule FBS schools and not FCS schools. Could be a good idea.
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I think it'd really be funny if,because of them playing the stronger teams,they lose enough games to keep them out of bowl games,at least the prestigious ones.Isn't that why they like to schedule FCS teams in the first place?

This must be a renewed sense of confidence by the Big.......ooooooo,i'm impressed!What a novel idea ,big schools playing someone their own size,who's the genius who thought of that?

Seriously,do we get one more chance at the Gophers next yr?If so, nows the time!!!Just looked,we were going to play the Gophers in 2015.....bummer,looks like they'll dodge the bullet.
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-12-2013, 09:51 PM.

Comment

It's makes sense for the Big 10 - but it is disappointing for us. (Not to mention $ucky financially) what if we had a contract - do they have to buy us out (ala Montana)? We'll have to remember this in 5 years when they kick the Gophers out of the Big 10 for stinking - no MVC invite. LOL!

Comment

If this means the chance at an extra hime game if not every year every other or few years I think its good. With a new stadium in the wings and record attendance sdsu football is growing and a new stadium would be the ticket to take the next step and imho that is trying to get 6 home games a year. If that means we do some 2-1 games with some lower teams and I don't mean cupcakes but teams I feel we could entice with that offer and still respectable games would be vital.

My selfishness says building a culture of sdsu football and experinces means more home games. I understand the challenges with that but trust the admin can get that done.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

another victim of mirror scheduling, oh wait, wrong sport.

Comment

Hey Barry FCS IS D-I!

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                      Hey Barry FCS IS D-I!
                      Unfortunately that is the stigma with the FCS. Everyone thinks they are a lower division and not just a subset of D-I. That is why I hated when they changed from D-IA/D-IAA to FBS/FCS.

Comment

This would be a good idea for the B1G if they actually used it to schedule home-and-home's with competent FBS teams from other conferences, but you know that won't be the case.

Their member schools are going to want to have 7 home games a season, and in order to do that every year they're going to have to pay someone to come in for a one-and-done, and that is going to be, at best, Conference USA teams, but more likely Sun Belt, MAC, and Independent teams. More often than not, these types of teams aren't going to draw anymore interest than a regional FCS team, so the only real difference will be the B1G school will have to pay twice as much to bring in the lower FBS team as opposed the FCS squad.

I'm going to go with "it's a bad idea" until I see otherwise.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                          Unfortunately that is the stigma with the FCS. Everyone thinks they are a lower division and not just a subset of D-I. That is why I hated when they changed from D-IA/D-IAA to FBS/FCS.
                          In a perfect world, both 'subdivisions' would compete under identical rules, one rule being "Division I football programs may offer up to 85 scholarships for football; however no school offering more than 63 scholarships in any year shall in that year be allowed to split scholarships, or be eligible for the national championship in football."

Division I FCS/FBS split goes away; problem solved.

Won't ever happen, though.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                            This would be a good idea for the B1G if they actually used it to schedule home-and-home's with competent FBS teams from other conferences, but you know that won't be the case.

Their member schools are going to want to have 7 home games a season, and in order to do that every year they're going to have to pay someone to come in for a one-and-done, and that is going to be, at best, Conference USA teams, but more likely Sun Belt, MAC, and Independent teams. More often than not, these types of teams aren't going to draw anymore interest than a regional FCS team, so the only real difference will be the B1G school will have to pay twice as much to bring in the lower FBS team as opposed the FCS squad.

I'm going to go with "it's a bad idea" until I see otherwise.
                            I think certain NDSU fans have "forseen" this, that's why they push for NDSU to move up to FBS football..........j/k

Comment

Two reasons why they did it. Eliminates the potential upsets of losing to FCS teams and gives them excuse why they aren't playing them, and it would hopefully improve SOS for BCS and then the playoff formula.
                              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Working...
                              X