Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Catholic Seven leave the Big East

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    Where? When Douple was on the radio station in Sioux Falls that was the one school where he hinted they wanted out. Said they currently didn't have an offer, but wasn't as definite as he was about other schools.
    Our radio play by play guy said there are strong indications that Oakland is going to the Horizon League next year...

Go to the seven minute mark of the KC game audio...

http://www.gobison.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
      Our radio play by play guy said there are strong indications that Oakland is going to the Horizon League next year...

well if they do go to the Horizon Oaklands men are still a fourth place team and the women are still in last place. I think the Horizon would eat them alive.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post

So the Bizon radio play by play guy has inside knowledge that Detroit is likely gone from the Horizon and Oakland is getting an invite? Or maybe he has read the speculation and is simply repeating the rumors that seem to be flying around, all based on speculation from some media sources, but mostly "experts" on fan boards. Would Oakland take an invite to the Horizon? Of course they would. They have been honest about it from day one. But a lot has to happen from them to even get an invite.

Comment

OK... just a quick numbers breakdown

Currently the "Valley" has 10 teams
          1. Bradley
          2. Creighton
          3. Drake
          4. Evansville
          5. Illinois State
          6. Indiana State
          7. Missouri State
          8. Northern Iowa
          9. Southern Illinois
          10. Witchita State

The Summit will have 9 teams next year (barring anyone leaving)
          1. Denver
          2. IPFW
          3. IUPUI
          4. NDSU
          5. Oakland
          6. Omaha
          7. South Dakota
          8. South Dakota State
          9. Western Illinois

The Missouri Valley Football Conference has 10 teams
          -5 from the "Valley"
          -4 from the Summit
          -1 from the Horizon (Youngstown)

If Creighton does indeed leave, which is very likely... they are at 9 teams, which could work..but they are the constant "whisperings" of Evansville to the Horizon... They are going to want some insurance.

It will be very interesting to see how the A10/Conference USA/ "America Conference" or whatever the FB schools from the Big East are calling themselves...this will have the "trickle down" effect to the Summit.

If I were in charge of the Valley...which I'm not... but I'd really look into the 4 schools that already play football with our conference members...Could you/would you look at adding four teams... going to a 12 team league East/West...

This WON'T, I repeat WON't happen. W. Illinois and USD do not have enough fan support.

I guess my only thought for sure, is we're going to have to be really patient, as this all continues to ebb and flow.

Comment

They openly said they wanted to replace Butler last year, and Douple has said they want to go.Until they have an offer though I'm going to be hesitant to say that they will be gone though.

It has probably already been discussed but I'd do a $5 million dollar exit fee, for 5 years (declining 1 million a year, and then staying at $1 million)

Comment

Catholic 7 expansion favorites. Butler, Xavier and Creighton. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...bers-7-10-days
              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I'm hearing out of Omaha that CU is making the move to Big East. Crank up the rumor mill.
                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                  I'm hearing out of Omaha that CU is making the move to Big East. Crank up the rumor mill.
                  When pigs can fly, and picture the Bush Beans commerical.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                    Yeah, it's increasingly starting to sound like this will happen. If it does, my expectation is that the Valley will take a run at Belmont in Nashville to replace Creighton.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Omaha World Hearald - http://www.omaha.com/article/2013031...ast-invitation

Porcine aves Wednesday or Thursday.
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        Yeah, it's increasingly starting to sound like this will happen. If it does, my expectation is that the Valley will take a run at Belmont in Nashville to replace Creighton.
                        Why would Belmont go to MVC? They just went from Atlantic Sun last year to the OVC this year and then MVC? I don't know about that.

Comment

Same reason Butler went from the Horizon to the A-10 to the Big East?

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                            Same reason Butler went from the Horizon to the A-10 to the Big East?
                            The Big East is a little different than the MVC.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                              Why would Belmont go to MVC? They just went from Atlantic Sun last year to the OVC this year and then MVC? I don't know about that.
                              Somewhat higher profile men's basketball than the OVC, even with the departure of Creighton.

Now that I think about it, it's also entirely possible the MVC will stay at nine. There's no immediate pressure or need to expand further.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Nine in MVC is possible if no one else decides to leave. IMHO, if another school leaves then all bets are off. The MVC could start raiding other conferences e.g. OVC, Horizon. Or they could spin apart along public-private lines.

Comment

Working...
                                X