The Catholic Seven leave the Big East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Catholic Seven leave the Big East

All the speculation is interesting. Though it is likely there are more unexpected changes coming that will make these discussions meaningless. IMHO, the only path for admission to MVC would be a decision by MVC to expand through consolidation of MVC and MVFC.

It would be nice to see SDSU in a position where they remain attached to the upper level of college baskeball. I don't know that an NCC 2.0 would accomplish that.

The music is still playing and there are chairs on the floor. Everything is still possible.
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

The only MN school that I would target is Mankato, all the MN hockey schools have left them behind and they are stuck in the crappy WCHA. Mid-Major basketball could be their niche but they'd have to cut football or go non-scholarship to make it work. Like I said before, I am not a fan of the NCC 2.0 idea but they at least have some potential. The other MN schools are either hockey mad or too small.

Comment

@stuwhitney: Summit League commissioner Tom Douple says Denver informed Missouri Valley they will stick with Summit and not replace Creighton in Valley.
        https://twitter.com/stuwhitney/statu...93093759688706

Comment

I'd like to know the full story. Stu responded to me on twitter saying it sounded like they weren't formally asked but that there had been a conversation.
          Last edited by joeboo22; 03-09-2013, 03:52 PM.

Comment

honestly whats new mexico states deal, are they really gonna stay in the reformed wac ? couldnt they be travel partners with denver and come join the summit, or are there issues with fcs fbs football or something.. cant think of any better of a deal for them assuming they're not invited to the moutain west

sdsu ndsu, usd omaha, denver nmsu, ipfw oakland, iupui western

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
              honestly whats new mexico states deal, are they really gonna stay in the reformed wac ? couldnt they be travel partners with denver and come join the summit, or are there issues with fcs fbs football or something.. cant think of any better of a deal for them assuming they're not invited to the moutain west

sdsu ndsu, usd omaha, denver nmsu, ipfw oakland, iupui western
              I'm sure that the Summit has felt them out. I'm guessing that NMSU is exploring other more geographical options. But I do agree that they should be in the conversation

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                I'm sure that the Summit has felt them out. I'm guessing that NMSU is exploring other more geographical options. But I do agree that they should be in the conversation
                they would be an exciting addition, but probably begging for the mountain west tho

Comment

they would be an exciting addition, but probably begging for the mountain west tho
                  New Mexico won't let that happen and supposedly UTEP is blocking them from the CUSA. The Sun Belt is their only option.

Comment

No way they get in the Mountain West. Once San Diego and Boise announced they wanted to come back NMSU's shot ended. It is the Sun Belt or Independent for them. If the Sun Belt gets the two FCS schools they are pursuing (App State and GSU) NMSU are out of luck. If the Sun Belt doesn't get those schools there is a chance. There is a lot of discussion out there about what the Sun Belt wants to look like. NMSU is not in the desired footprint.

Comment

so by staying independent fbs can they legally join the summit for basketball ?

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                        New Mexico won't let that happen and supposedly UTEP is blocking them from the CUSA. The Sun Belt is their only option.
                        so before a team enters a new conference every team in that conference has to give a clearance for the incoming team ? for example detroit -not letting Oakland in the horizon, why does detroit, new mexico, utep have any say in the matter, could a summit team have blocked denver if they felt like it ?

Comment

so before a team enters a new conference every team in that conference has to give a clearance for the incoming team ? for example detroit -not letting Oakland in the horizon, why does detroit, new mexico, utep have any say in the matter, could a summit team have blocked denver if they felt like it ?
                          I think it's different from conference to conference. I've heard, but have no proof, that the Horizon has it written into their bylaws that schools within a certain radius of the prospective member(something like 25-75mi) have veto power. That's why Detroit can block Oakland. Don't know about CUSA. I think most conferences require some form of supermajority vote to accept a new member; generally 60-67%. On the other hand, just about every official vote is unanimous. The presidents hash things out until a strong majority is in favor of the new school and no members have deal-breaking objections. For appearances of solidarity, all the schools vote in favor of the new member even if a couple schools still aren't particularly happy about it. That's what happened with the xDSUs and the MVFC.

Comment

from what I hear around here in Michigan, Detroit does not like Oakland at all for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                              from what I hear around here in Michigan, Detroit does not like Oakland at all for some reason.
                              Maybe not, I've heard it sounds like Oakland is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                                Maybe not, I've heard it sounds like Oakland is gone.
                                Where? When Douple was on the radio station in Sioux Falls that was the one school where he hinted they wanted out. Said they currently didn't have an offer, but wasn't as definite as he was about other schools.

Comment

Working...
                                X