Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Catholic Seven leave the Big East

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Home average attendance, 2012-13, Missouri Valley Conference, men's basketball:
    17,155 - Creighton
    10,312 - Wichita State
    7,145 - Bradley
    6,541 - Illinois State
    6,080 - Missouri State
    5,398 - Indiana State
    5,007 - Southern Illinois
    4,588 - Evansville
    4,442 - Northern Iowa
    3,926 - Drake

Home average attendance, 2012-13, Summit League, men's basketball:
    3,625 - South Dakota State
    (3,319 - Denver)
    2,906 - North Dakota State
    2,478 - Oakland
    2,454 - Western Illinois
    1,817 - South Dakota
    1,443 - Ft. Wayne
    1,251 - Kansas City
    1,231 - Omaha
    807 - IUPUI
    Attendance figures are a deceptive statistic, and quite frankly, a majority of schools manipulate them in their favor. Most schools will show paid attendance over actual attendance, and even the word "paid" is used very liberally (i.e. counting entire student sections even when they're 1/3 full, ticket giveaways, etc...). Some schools skew their numbers more than others.

Being that SDSU is one of the few schools that only does tickets scanned, our numbers are at least honest, so we probably average more real people than some of the MVC schools while still playing less desirable opponents.

I wish the NCAA would mandate schools to either just use "actual" attendance or at least specify which one their using, but I realize this probably won't happen because the NCAA and the schools have nothing to gain by doing so. Personally, I find the practice dishonest and if I was a corporate sponsor of a program, I'd demand to see "actual" attendance.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      Attendance figures are a deceptive statistic, and quite frankly, a majority of schools manipulate them in their favor. Most schools will show paid attendance over actual attendance, and even the word "paid" is used very liberally (i.e. counting entire student sections even when they're 1/3 full, ticket giveaways, etc...). Some schools skew their numbers more than others.

Being that SDSU is one of the few schools that only does tickets scanned, our numbers are at least honest, so we probably average more real people than some of the MVC schools while still playing less desirable opponents.

I wish the NCAA would mandate schools to either just use "actual" attendance or at least specify which one their using, but I realize this probably won't happen because the NCAA and the schools have nothing to gain by doing so. Personally, I find the practice dishonest and if I was a corporate sponsor of a program, I'd demand to see "actual" attendance.
      Yeah just look at UNO hockey....

The CenturyLink holds about 16,000 fans for hockey. UNO averages 8,000 fans a game, Alberts said, but sells only about 5,000 tickets per game. The rest are given away.
      http://omaha.com/article/20121014/NEWS/710149936/1101

Comment

Don't kid yourself--conferences will use announced attendance figures as one input into their process. Sure it's not perfect, but we all know that full arenas look better on TV than empty ones, and players like playing in front of big crowds rather than in 10,000-seat arenas with 9/10ths of the seats empty.

I admit I decided to go look (and post) because I was frankly curious to see what the (announced) Valley's basketball attendance was.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ction/1955419/

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
            Four day old article. Ancient!
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
              That is from Dec. 7th - I'm not sure how relevant it is now.

http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/page...blockID=831923
              Wow. Good catch, LakeJack. This guy tweeted it out like it was relevant. Should have checked.

Comment

As for why MVC teams don't like the XDSU's, I think football is some of it, they would rather you cut your football program build a 12K seat arena and average 8K a night. The league doesn't sponsor football (MVFC has no affiliation with them), so I think they would view that as something that might be an advantage for them in recruiting, but not help them with the money side of things.

I also think that the MVC has some prestige and adding 2 schools that until 5 years ago weren't even full fledged members of D-I to join their conference they think will lower the bar for their league.

Ultimately I think the issue that will hold back XDSU's is travel, Creighton was the furthest west team, and when you have to bus the volleyball and softball teams that extra millage adds up. And when you have similar options in terms of money, and overall school that becomes an issue. I also believe that if they only add 1 school they will add a private school because of the private public relationship

Comment

I just thought I would share two images showing the MVC schools (in red) and what I believe are their realistic expansion prospects (in green). The names correspond to the location of the school. Hopefully you can read the text. I included schools from the SL, HL, a few from OVC and Southland, NMSU, UALR and UNO (New Orleans). I don't think the conference has as many expansion choices as some of the school's fans believe.
                  MVC_ADD1.jpg http://tinypic.com/r/rkqvsz/6
                  This second image shows just the names in their respective locations. I think this is an interesting way to look at the schools relation to one another. As both images show. XDSUs are not too far out of the current footprint and should be included in the pool of candidates.
                  MVC_ADD2.jpghttp://tinypic.com/r/3467yhd/6
                  Last edited by SoCalJack; 03-07-2013, 09:32 AM. Reason: added links to larger images

Comment

Per Dom Izzo its a done deal. Catholic 7 will leave Big East and snag Bulter, Xavier and most likely Creighton to join them.

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/stor...rc=desktop&wjb
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Now even CBS is saying it.....

The seven schools will add Xavier and Butler for the 2013-14 season, and sources told CBSSports.com that Creighton will likely be the 10th school, and could be added for next season as well.
                      http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ague-on-july-1

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalJack View Post
                        I included schools from the SL, HL, a few from OVC and Southland, NMSU, UALR and UNO (New Orleans). I don't think the conference has as many expansion choices as some of the school's fans believe.
                        Agreed. Some of their fans think they can add U of Cincy, Memphis, Tulsa or a MAC school. In reality none of those teams are an option because the MVC lacks FBS football. I have no idea what the conference will do, all the realistic options have their warts.

I do believe that the XDSU's have some stronger supporters than some may think in the Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                          Agreed. Some of their fans think they can add U of Cincy, Memphis, Tulsa or a MAC school. In reality none of those teams are an option because the MVC lacks FBS football. I have no idea what the conference will do, all the realistic options have their warts.

I do believe that the XDSU's have some stronger supporters than some may think in the Valley.
                          I second your thoughts on stronger supporters. Its only a hunch and not based in any fact, however. At least on my end. Maybe you have sources, but I sure don't.
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                            I second your thoughts on stronger supporters. Its only a hunch and not based in any fact, however. At least on my end. Maybe you have sources, but I sure don't.
                            So hypothetical question - if a MVC invite comes for SDSU, does the administration have any second thought about bolting the Summit knowing that the conference tournament in the Summit is almost a lock for Sioux Falls for the foreseeable future (definitely an advantage in making the NCAA tourney and a rallying event for support of SDSU Athletics by fans and alums)? Never say never I guess, but I would find it hard to see the MVC tourney ever leaving St. Louis and coming our way.
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                              So hypothetical question - if a MVC invite comes for SDSU, does the administration have any second thought about bolting the Summit knowing that the conference tournament in the Summit is almost a lock for Sioux Falls for the foreseeable future (definitely an advantage in making the NCAA tourney and a rallying event for support of SDSU Athletics by fans and alums)? Never say never I guess, but I would find it hard to see the MVC tourney ever leaving St. Louis and coming our way.
                              Long answer, yes.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                                that definitely ads to some of it, I think the other somewhat argument is if Creighton is gone from the Valley, how stable is the Valley? And how attractive is the Valley? Definitely more attractive then the Summit, but is it more attractive to be on the lower end of a Creightonless MVC or the higher end of the SL?

Comment

Working...
                                X