The Catholic Seven leave the Big East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Catholic Seven leave the Big East

i would not unerstimate the relationship NDSU has with SDSU. I am not sure they are totally comfortable on their own....keep in mind most them are at least part Norwegian!!!??!!!
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
      i would not unerstimate the relationship NDSU has with SDSU. I am not sure they are totally comfortable on their own....keep in mind most them are at least part Norwegian!!!??!!!
      Would agree. we are stronger as a pair. NDSU is definitely ahead in football, but basketball has to go to SDSU at this point..........both mens and womens.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Would agree. we are stronger as a pair. NDSU is definitely ahead in football, but basketball has to go to SDSU at this point..........both mens and womens.
        Yeah but I still get the impression that either would leave for the Valley if the offer was right

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
          Sean Keeler, a Fox Sports columnist for Fox Sports Midwest and Fox Sports KC says teams discussed for a replacement of Creighton are Milwaukee, Denver, Wright St, Loyola Ill, NDSU, and UNO. He makes no mention of SDSU which is odd they wouldn't even be discussed. Check out his twitter account @SeanKeeler. I would link but am posting off my phone.

Also said a MVC Admin told him its a 90-10 chance Creighton is gone.
          That is from Dec. 7th - I'm not sure how relevant it is now.

http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/page...blockID=831923

Comment

From the St. Louis newspaper

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colle...8d9cee167.html

Comment

Curiosity question,

Does anyone know why the current members of the MVC hate SDSU and NDSU so bad? You go read their board and it is almost universal disdain for us. Why? I think we have proven we are on the right track and moving forward are only going to get more and more competitive and honestly, feel we would be very competitive with that league right now, would we be in first, no, but I wouldn't put us out of the top 4 or 5. Our women would be top 3, and we are only getting better facility wise.

So I ask again, does anyone know where the hatred for us comes from?

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                Curiosity question,

Does anyone know why the current members of the MVC hate SDSU and NDSU so bad? You go read their board and it is almost universal disdain for us. Why? I think we have proven we are on the right track and moving forward are only going to get more and more competitive and honestly, feel we would be very competitive with that league right now, would we be in first, no, but I wouldn't put us out of the top 4 or 5. Our women would be top 3, and we are only getting better facility wise.

I'm guessing that is more fear than anything.

Comment

Curiosity question,Does anyone know why the current members of the MVC hate SDSU and NDSU so bad? You go read their board and it is almost universal disdain for us. Why? I think we have proven we are on the right track and moving forward are only going to get more and more competitive and honestly, feel we would be very competitive with that league right now, would we be in first, no, but I wouldn't put us out of the top 4 or 5. Our women would be top 3, and we are only getting better facility wise.So I ask again, does anyone know where the hatred for us comes from?
                  That Lakesbison dude maybe? Just kidding....kind of.

There's an issue for the MVC to protect their basketball, which we should obviously understand.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                    I'm guessing that is more fear than anything.
                    I agree,fear of the unknown,fear of change,fear of losing ground in their conference prestige (arrogance maybe?),along with uneasiness ,sense of loss.Not hatred.Lots of fear mongering probably.

Comment

Curiosity question,

The answer is probably a combination of ignorance and arrogance, with just a hint of annoyance with certain poster(s) telling them why their school belongs in the MVC.

Really though, who cares what they think. Message board posters won't be making the decision of whether we, or anyone else gets into the MVC. The presidents under the guidance of the conference administrators and individual school athletic directors will ultimately decide on who the new member(s) will be and it's a safe bet they won't be consulting MVCfans.com when making this decision.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

I think most of the football schools aren't as universally against us two. The basketball only schools are a different matter. In my mind it mainly comes down to Creighton and Wichita State. Their view point is that they spend more on their athletic programs and they don't even field a football team, so there is no way we could keep up in basketball which is their main focus. Their main gripes in no particular order are....

- Travel would suck

- This is our best team ever and we are still below both of them RPI-wise so what will happen when we go back to normal....we would be an RPI killer and doom them to a one bid league.

- No potential to get recruits out of our states.

- Limited potential for growth and limited TV markets

- They are delusional enough to believe they will upgrade their conference when Creighton leaves by pulling in Cincinati's, Dayton's, Butler's etc.

UNI faced the same disdain when they joined and it didn't change until they proved they could be competitive. We would have the same challenge in front of us if we joined.

Comment

Some of the private schools simply don't like us because we play scholarship football. One fan even thought it was negative because NDSU was good at football, which I still don't quite understand. I think they are just afraid of losing control, with Creighton the private schools had the loudest voice in the conference.

That said these are just what fans think. Some MVC AD's and presidents have been to our campuses for football games and that could give them a different opinion, sometimes they people with the strongest negative views are the people that have never been here.

I'm also not sure what Wichita State's president would think, they don't have football but they are a decent sized public school. Academically we are much more in line with WSU than some tiny private school.

Comment

Don't bet on Creighton getting an invite to the new Big East. See the following report from 3/1/13 CBSSports.com. Granted, it's not exactly chock-full of facts but neither are the rumors about Creighton bolting from the MVC

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21787349/catholic-7-looking-at-nine-schools-might-stop-there

But, see this story in the NY Post claiming Creighton joins the Big East next year:
                            http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/colle...m84P9AiafuJtrO

Comment

Home average attendance, 2012-13, Missouri Valley Conference, men's basketball:
                              17,155 - Creighton
                              10,312 - Wichita State
                              7,145 - Bradley
                              6,541 - Illinois State
                              6,080 - Missouri State
                              5,398 - Indiana State
                              5,007 - Southern Illinois
                              4,588 - Evansville
                              4,442 - Northern Iowa
                              3,926 - Drake

Home average attendance, 2012-13, Summit League, men's basketball:
                              3,625 - South Dakota State
                              (3,319 - Denver)
                              2,906 - North Dakota State
                              2,478 - Oakland
                              2,454 - Western Illinois
                              1,817 - South Dakota
                              1,443 - Ft. Wayne
                              1,251 - Kansas City
                              1,231 - Omaha
                              807 - IUPUI
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment