2011 FCS playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011 FCS playoffs

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but it was just 2 years ago, 2009, when SDSU beat GA-Southern 44-6 and beat the Bison 28-13.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
      I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but it was just 2 years ago, 2009, when SDSU beat GA-Southern 44-6 and beat the Bison 28-13.
      Yes this was when GA Southern had Hatcher as a coach. I think they ran something other than the triple option. Hatcher was a long time successful D2 coach at Valdosta State. The peter principle you know. He is now gone. Also GA Southern laid one of the eight losses on NDSU.

With new yellow jerseys we might just turn it all around. I am serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        Also GA Southern laid one of the eight losses on NDSU.
        ?

We beat them(GSU) October 7 2006...34-14 down in Statesboro. We were supposed to play them this year in September but they bought out of their end of the home and home for $60000 to play a DII in Statesboro because they only had 5 home games.

Are you still talking about 2009? Our losses were to
        Iowa State 17-34
        Sam Houston 45-48
        Southern Illinois 24-27
        Illinois State 24-27
        UNI 27-42
        SDSU 13-28
        Missouri State 17-21
        Youngstown 35-39
        "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Herd View Post
          ?

We beat them(GSU) October 7 2006...34-14 down in Statesboro. We were supposed to play them this year in September but they bought out of their end of the home and home for $60000 to play a DII in Statesboro because they only had 5 home games.

Are you still talking about 2009? Our losses were to
          Iowa State 17-34
          Sam Houston 45-48
          Southern Illinois 24-27
          Illinois State 24-27
          UNI 27-42
          SDSU 13-28
          Missouri State 17-21
          Youngstown 35-39
          Sorry I read Mitchell post too quickly. He was mentioning the 28-13 SDSU win over NDSU in 2009 and not a loss by NDSU to GA So. I remember 2009 a bad year for both GA-So and NDSU in terms of losses, but as you have pointed both did not play in 2009.

Congrats to the Bison on their big win yesterday and it looks like Ga So is back, but their coaching staff made some boner calls yesterday. I think the coaches lost that game or contributed to the loss. Two opportunities to put pts on the board with FG's and instead they went for it on 4th down. Those two fg's could have made a difference and put some momentum back into the game for GA So. No doubt the best team won.

Comment

I think the coaches lost that game or contributed to the loss. Two opportunities to put pts on the board with FG's and instead they went for it on 4th down. Those two fg's could have made a difference and put some momentum back into the game for GA So. No doubt the best team won.
            I agree, that could have majorly changed the game. When they went for it on that field goal attempt I honestly couldn't believe it.

Being a young guy(26), I have never been to a any type of playoff football game before these last two years. Been to all 4 playoff games in the dome (Robert Morris 10, and the three this year), it's absolutely amazing the type of atmosphere that the playoff brings to the fans, the university, and the town. People were in green and gold everywhere, showing Bison horns in every restaurant and store, high-fiving everyone in the concourse of the Fargodome. Sorry I'm sure you don't want to hear about a Bison lovefest so in conclusion:

With the weapons the Jacks showed this year and building on the future, I can only hope that the fine fans in Brookings can someday experience playoff football at home in the near future. It is an amazing experience that my wife and I will not soon forget. I also agree that Jacks would look good in yellow jerseys.
            "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

Bring home a National Championship for the MVFC.Go Bison,besides it'll make our win against you next year all the better.Seriously,wishing you the best of luck.

Comment

I'm torn. I fear the Bison train getting back on the track and it becoming very difficult to "de-rail".

Any chance a victory will pull Coach Bohl away to a "bigger and better" opportunity and throw them back 7 years? What do the rest of you feel?

At least the CAA is out and we just have to listen to them (CAA fans) rationalize that they were in a down year (I mean they only got a couple into the playoffs, right?!)

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
                  I'm torn. I fear the Bison train getting back on the track and it becoming very difficult to "de-rail".

Any chance a victory will pull Coach Bohl away to a "bigger and better" opportunity and throw them back 7 years? What do the rest of you feel?

At least the CAA is out and we just have to listen to them (CAA fans) rationalize that they were in a down year (I mean they only got a couple into the playoffs, right?!)
                  1. We have alot of Underclassmen playing Key positions so yes but win or lose in Frisco wont change the future

2. Doubtful, every year a coach wins a FCS Title and they dont leave, if Bohl wins he will make over $350K in Fargo, has a wife here etc....he has stated he loves it

3. DAMN RIGHT I am so glad we got to take out a CAA and SOCON team this year not just for us but for the Valley, especially the SOCON CHAMPS
                  BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post

They seem to be on track and have very good coaching, much better than GA-SO. Coach Stig would have kicked the field goals and hope for a better series next time around. The Bison seem to really have stopped the triple option. I look for a win over Sam Houston. The Bison have the momentum. You hope a three week layoff would help the injured heal, but it might make them come out flat. Thats what the Bizon have to be concerned about. There are a ton of Bison coming back next year. The good news is that SDSU does not have to face DJ McNorton nor SD native Colton Boyer, but will face Ryan Smith also a SD connection through Grandpa Rollie Greeno. Who besides me remembers the Greeno brothers, all who were coaches?

It reminds me of a pre game interview with former Coach Wayne Haensel about 1986, when the Bison were on high with the veer option. Wayne said " You can not fool them", and he was right then and Coach Stig needs to come up with some solid plays next year in order to take out NDSU in Fargo. Otherwise the series will continue to favor NDSU.

Comment

The good news is that SDSU does not have to face DJ McNorton nor SD native Colton Boyer, but will face Ryan Smith also a SD connection through Grandpa Rollie Greeno. Who besides me remembers the Greeno brothers, all who were coaches?
                      I'm assuming a couple of others were Joe Greeno and Woody Greeno.

Joe Greeno has a football field/track named after him in Kearney, NE where he was a longtime coach. He taught Physical Education and was Athletic Director, Varsity Track and Cross Country Coach at KHS. Joe started Kearney's kid baseball and Golden Gloves boxing programs. The Omaha World-Herald named him "Coach of the Year" in 1966.

Woody Greeno was the legendary track and cross country coach at Nebraska Weysleyan University. The Woody Greeno Invitational is one of the largest collegiate cross country invitationals in the midwest. It is co-hosted by UNL and NWU and the Jacks last competed in it in 2006. Nebraska Weysleyan also named their track after him.

Did I miss any other brothers Nidaros?

Comment

It's really nice to see the East Coast teams all get knocked out.

The last time the Championship game included no east coase teams was 2002, when Western Kentucky beast Mcneese St.

Heres to seeing the east coast bias disappear in the next few years. *toast*
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                          I'm assuming a couple of others were Joe Greeno and Woody Greeno.

Joe Greeno has a football field/track named after him in Kearney, NE where he was a longtime coach. He taught Physical Education and was Athletic Director, Varsity Track and Cross Country Coach at KHS. Joe started Kearney's kid baseball and Golden Gloves boxing programs. The Omaha World-Herald named him "Coach of the Year" in 1966.

Woody Greeno was the legendary track and cross country coach at Nebraska Weysleyan University. The Woody Greeno Invitational is one of the largest collegiate cross country invitationals in the midwest. It is co-hosted by UNL and NWU and the Jacks last competed in it in 2006. Nebraska Weysleyan also named their track after him.

Did I miss any other brothers Nidaros?
                          There was Rich also big in track. Woody was the only one to have a degree from SDSU. I have a book about them. You mentioned two of them. Ryan Smith's grampa was a long time coach at Valley State.
                          Those guys all loved being a coach. I guess that's what stands out about them.
                          Seems like there were six or seven brothers. I dont have the book to refer to.

Comment

Working...
                          X