Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Penn State

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    There are more shoes to drop. Rumors are Sandusky was pimping those boys to other generous donors to Second Mile and PSU football. With these things going on, your word about witnessing a crime would have been totally ignored and possibly you would be fearing for your life. The DA that was on to Sandusky has never been found but declared dead is a good example. Some of this money may not be clean. So the drama continues.
    These are wild rumors propogated by a radio shock jock and a sports blogger who has been described as the Glenn Beck of sports journalism. This is the insidious part of scandals going viral on the net; anyone can rumor anything and not be held accountable. The facts as they are known are bad enough.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      These are wild rumors propogated by a radio shock jock and a sports blogger who has been described as the Glenn Beck of sports journalism. This is the insidious part of scandals going viral on the net; anyone can rumor anything and not be held accountable. The facts as they are known are bad enough.
      Yeah this guy was on a NESN show briefly and that where's I got the information. I admit I was shocked by the jock. A sensible approach would be to investigate how Second Mile Foundation was funded, who gave and how much. I suspect the police are doing that.

Years ago there was a alleged abuse ring going on in the Lincoln Omaha area that involved notable people including a publisher of the Omaha World Herald. Later it was totally debunked. I suspect the same will happen with this Glen Beck like sports guy's rumor. I agree its bad as bad can be.

Comment

It's very easy to say JoePa followed procedure and went up the chain of command... but at the same time, this is the "King of Happy Valley"... bascially, he was the most powerful person at Penn State. And he should have taken the initiative on this.

Now I'm not going to put the blame solely on Paterno. How many people saw something hinky and turned a blind eye? Why didn't McQuery take some intitative himself and call the police himself instead of waiting a day? Or did everyone suffer from "bystander syndrome"?

I agree with Paterno's firing. As the head coach, he's utimately accountable for what happens in his program. But to simply go on auto-pilot with something so heinious makes me wonder what was going through his mind... Was it misplaced loyalty to a friend? Was it concern over his image? Or did he, in military terms, go ROAD (Retired On Active Duty) and simply not care? Fact is we'll never know.

Whatever the case, a LOT of people failed these boys. JoePa... the AD... the President of Penn State... the State of Pennsylvania... I'd like to leave you with this quote from one of my all-time favorite movies, "The Boondock Saints":

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
          He fulfilled his legal obligation but he completely failed morally, his GA came to him because he was distraught and JoePa did the absolute minimum. I think JoePa knew about Sandusky and his issues long before 2002, in 1998 there was a six week investigation done by campus police because Sandusky was showering in the team facility with an 11 year old boy and he hugged the boy while in the shower. Sandusky admitted to all of it and in 1999 retired at the ripe old age of 55 because JoePa had told him he'll never be the head coach.
          Court of publis opinion he is guilty of not doing more. As far as we can see from this he fulfilled his legal obligstion like you said. How ever there is more to it that we might not ever know or find out till latter. What if joepa was devestated that a friend of his could do something like that. So going straight to police would be hard so he followed the law and people who are in charge over joe pa would follow through. What if at the time the witness was not 100 percent sure what he saw and by passing it to joepa to report makes a slippery slope. The witness has the moral obligation imo to do more. As a parent one of my first thoughts is why didn't the witness go forward and report it right away. Second thought is child rape and abuse are serious offenses and many lifes have been ruined by false or wrong accusations. If the witness was not 100 percent sure at the time joe pa maybe did not feel he was in place to report it not matter what the public perception would be. Frankly everyone was derilict of duty imo but I don't feel this should center around just joepa. The witness all the way to the bot should be taken a hard look at what all went wrong here.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            Court of publis opinion he is guilty of not doing more. As far as we can see from this he fulfilled his legal obligstion like you said. How ever there is more to it that we might not ever know or find out till latter. What if joepa was devestated that a friend of his could do something like that. So going straight to police would be hard so he followed the law and people who are in charge over joe pa would follow through. What if at the time the witness was not 100 percent sure what he saw and by passing it to joepa to report makes a slippery slope. The witness has the moral obligation imo to do more. As a parent one of my first thoughts is why didn't the witness go forward and report it right away. Second thought is child rape and abuse are serious offenses and many lifes have been ruined by false or wrong accusations. If the witness was not 100 percent sure at the time joe pa maybe did not feel he was in place to report it not matter what the public perception would be. Frankly everyone was derilict of duty imo but I don't feel this should center around just joepa. The witness all the way to the bot should be taken a hard look at what all went wrong here.
            Five people have been removed from their position all the the way up and including the President. To say that this is just centered around Paterno is simply absurd. He's getting a lot of the publicity because he's obviously the most well known and the face of the program. There's a huge difference between that and being singled out.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
              Five people have been removed from their position all the the way up and including the President. To say that this is just centered around Paterno is simply absurd. He's getting a lot of the publicity because he's obviously the most well known and the face of the program. There's a huge difference between that and being singled out.
              I know others have been fired also, but for media and others to focus on him and people to be outraged at him is unfair because they have placed him on a pedistal. As far as I can tell from coverage, most attention is going his way why he didnt do more which is completely unfair to pin moral judgement on him when he followed the law. As messed up as this case is, its a slippery slope for sure. None of us know what the witness saw, how he explained it to joepa what joepa did or didnt do to follow up the claim. If anything people should be outraged that the law in Pa is able and allows people to pass the buck when the witness a crime. Joepa never should have been in the middle of this but the state law says he has to be and then it passed up from there.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

November 9th Sports Lounge
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHi1IBVqSIE

- We discuss the Penn State scandal.
                Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
                Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

More details about Sandusky unfold in disturbed PSU scandal

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/2011/11...d-psu-scandal/
                  Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
                  Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

Good article Travis, what a contrast between Penn State and South Dakota State in terms of financial resources.

Comment

• Re: Penn State

I've been thinking about the GA not reporting to the police.

Pure speculation, but was Paterno's status elevated so much in Happy Valley that going to the police would have actually been going to a lesser authority in a 20+ year old's mind? Ie, "If I tell the police they are just going to tell Paterno about it anyway. This is a serious issue, I'm taking it straight to the top and Coach can decide if the police should be involved."

I know that isn't how it is supposed to work in theory, but in practice when an individual has as much power and influence as Paterno the system gets pretty messed up.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

New sources have said that the Penn State president knew about the impending Jerry Sandusky indictment and briefed the Penn State Board of Trustees last May. Story gets fishier every minute Heres the article:http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...t-may/related/
                        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                          New sources have said that the Penn State president knew about the impending Jerry Sandusky indictment and briefed the Penn State Board of Trustees last May. Story gets fishier every minute Heres the article:http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...t-may/related/
                          So when does the BOT get fired. Or will they blame everyone else in the state before they take any responsibility for failure to act.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            So when does the BOT get fired. Or will they blame everyone else in the state before they take any responsibility for failure to act.
                            I'll answer . . . B? (for Blame Everyone Else).
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              I'll answer . . . B? (for Blame Everyone Else).
                              As much as I have followed this story, that seems to be probably the correct answer.

Comment

And a handy excuse to force an old coach out.
                                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
                                X