Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn State

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...ex_case_110511

Unbelievable. If the article is true, why weren't charges filed or more done to protect kids years ago?
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Re: Penn State

One part I don't get: Paterno found out and reported to his superiors. Now, in a statement issued today, he says he nobody had any idea. I'm guessing there are those at Penn State who have been looking for a way to ease Paterno out for many years. Even if (as seems likely) he had no opportunity to stop this, will somebody use this mess as an opportunity to push Paterno out?
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I thought the same thing, JimmyJack. Paterno was told about it in 2002 and reported it to Curley. So how can he make the the statement that they were all fooled when they knew something had happened.

Comment

QUOTE FROM LINKThe next day, a Saturday, the grad assistant went to the home of head coach Joe Paterno and told him what he had seen. The day after that, Paterno called Penn State athletic director Tim Curley to his home to report that the grad assistant had told him he had witnessed “Jerry Sandusky in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy.”

A week-and-a-half later, according to the grand jury report, the grad assistant was called to a meeting with Curley and Gary Schultz, the school’s senior vice president for finance and business, where he retold his story.

Sandusky had retired from the Penn State program in 1999, a surprise to many who saw him as a possible successor to Paterno. He instead dedicated himself to “Second Mile,” a group home he founded in 1977 dedicated to helping troubled boys. He often brought troubled kids through the Penn State facilities, including the famed Beaver Stadium, bought them gifts and took them to sporting events. END QUOTE

My coments:
        I know Mr. Sandusky is innocent until proven guilty, but Paterno mishandled this to no end. Why did he not confront Sandusky about this alleged incident when it happened in 2002? Its so easy to push everything upstairs, but maybe that's the procedure at Penn State. This last paragraph is troubling. Seems to be a cover for having a disorder involving minors.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          QUOTE FROM LINKThe next day, a Saturday, the grad assistant went to the home of head coach Joe Paterno and told him what he had seen. The day after that, Paterno called Penn State athletic director Tim Curley to his home to report that the grad assistant had told him he had witnessed “Jerry Sandusky in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy.”

A week-and-a-half later, according to the grand jury report, the grad assistant was called to a meeting with Curley and Gary Schultz, the school’s senior vice president for finance and business, where he retold his story.

Sandusky had retired from the Penn State program in 1999, a surprise to many who saw him as a possible successor to Paterno. He instead dedicated himself to “Second Mile,” a group home he founded in 1977 dedicated to helping troubled boys. He often brought troubled kids through the Penn State facilities, including the famed Beaver Stadium, bought them gifts and took them to sporting events. END QUOTE

My coments:
          I know Mr. Sandusky is innocent until proven guilty, but Paterno mishandled this to no end. Why did he not confront Sandusky about this alleged incident when it happened in 2002? Its so easy to push everything upstairs, but maybe that's the procedure at Penn State. This last paragraph is troubling. Seems to be a cover for having a disorder involving minors.
          I was poping off here without reading this. Paterno no longer had controll over Sandusky since he retired in 1999. This incident was subsequent. So I guess Joe did the right thing, but it appears to be too much of a hot potatoe to turn over to the police. Yes the right people are under arrest. Yet it does seem odd that its being brought now 9 years later, I wondering if there is not some kind of drive to get rid of Joe, as JJ has stated.

Comment

Here is another link which goes into more detail about the orgins of the charges. They have come from this group of boys who apparently have filed complaints with the Attorney General of Pennsylvania. Does not look like this is going to go away.
            http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...s-on-boys.html

Comment

This was mishandled horribly. This isn't like inter-office sexual harassment where if you hear an inappropriate joke that offends you, you report it up the chain of command. That's a crime; you don't report it to your superior and if nothing happens, oh well. You report it to the police right away.

All of that being said, I can understand being nervous about reporting your boss, but you absolutely have to in that situation. Just awful.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

This could get really messy. Apparently the access to the facilities was part of his negotiated retirement. Joe Pa did report it, and claimed that he was exonerated. The part I look at though is when he essentially fired him. This guy was thought by many to be the next head coach at PEnn State and JoePa from all reports advised him to retire.

I do agree though that if he had any idea what was going on he should have reported it or made a bigger deal of it. However I will say this, if you are going to the police from 2nd hand reports you are taking a big risk. What if the grad assistant had a grudge with the coach or whatever. You make these accusations and they are false you look really bad in the end. That is why I look at the Penn State authorities or whoever looked at the case in 98/99 and even though had evidence of something fishy going on let him free, shouldn't something of clicked in 02 when JoePa reported this to the AD? If a real investigation took place you would think the prior case would have been made available.

I think JoePa's statement is coming from lawyers and the trustees from Penn State. I think if JoePa wants to keep his job though he has to come out and say what he really thinks and what he knew.

Comment

There's no way he keeps his job. If he makes it to the end of the year (a big if) this will be the last year.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Column from Dan Wetzel at Yahoo Sports. No doubt, although Paterno supossedly did what he legally needed to do, he should have saw this whole thing through to the authorities. But then so, too, shouldn't have the grad student (now a Penn State assistant coach)? I suppose I can understand a grad student not feeling he's in position to do that, but how many years has he now been an assistant? Did someone pressure him to keep quiet or sacrifice his career?
                    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                      Column from Dan Wetzel at Yahoo Sports. No doubt, although Paterno supossedly did what he legally needed to do, he should have saw this whole thing through to the authorities. But then so, too, shouldn't have the grad student (now a Penn State assistant coach)? I suppose I can understand a grad student not feeling he's in position to do that, but how many years has he now been an assistant? Did someone pressure him to keep quiet or sacrifice his career?
                      This whole situation contains enough blame to go around many times. The wierd part is that Sandusky used the facility to work out as late as last Friday. The complaint by the grad assistant was totally ignored. If he had crusaded to expose Sandusky for who he is, without a doubt that grad assistant would no longer be on the staff. I would not go so far as to say giving the GA McCleary a staff job was intended to be a silencer. These things are seldom dealt with directly and they often fall through the cracks. Now everyone concerned at PA is in CYA mode.

I know only one Penn State alum and I don't have an email address. I willing to bet that rumors of abuse have circulated for along time about the alleged abuse. The only ones who are surprised are people like myself who did not know Sandusky existed until this weekend.

Comment

This isn't good and at the very least someone should have noticed. I have a feeling that the 98/99 case is the one that is going to hurt Penn State the most when it said to have taped phone conversations in which he admitted touching a boy inappropriately. Add in the 2002 case in which someone probably should have matched the dots it really doesn't look good for some people.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          There's no way he keeps his job. If he makes it to the end of the year (a big if) this will be the last year.
                          I thought the same thing. I think he finally retires when the season is over. Or maybe is forced to retire when the season is over.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            This isn't good and at the very least someone should have noticed. I have a feeling that the 98/99 case is the one that is going to hurt Penn State the most when it said to have taped phone conversations in which he admitted touching a boy inappropriately. Add in the 2002 case in which someone probably should have matched the dots it really doesn't look good for some people.
                            I simply can not comprehend all that is coming out about this PSU story. A little boy was raped in the showers, (allegedly)and the best they can come up with is we passed it up the food chain? This isn't some low level crime of somebody lifting Ipods out of locker rooms, or somebody in the AD office skimming off the petty cash box. While wrong, it wouldn't be a big deal if they tried covering something like that up, relative to this nuclear bombshell they have going now. I just don't get it, even if these claims would have ultimately been unfounded, a claim of such magnitude should have had everyone with a telephone scrambling to call the local cops and DA. Potential lives and well being of children were at stake. Err on the side of caution. F--K damage control to the PSU image, what about that little boy and probably the countless other children that they could have saved from being sexually assaulted and living the rest of their lives scarred and probably needing some serious counseling. Simply disgusting, the whole lot of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Vicks Dead PitBulls View Post
                              I simply can not comprehend all that is coming out about this PSU story. A little boy was raped in the showers, (allegedly)and the best they can come up with is we passed it up the food chain? This isn't some low level crime of somebody lifting Ipods out of locker rooms, or somebody in the AD office skimming off the petty cash box. While wrong, it wouldn't be a big deal if they tried covering something like that up, relative to this nuclear bombshell they have going now. I just don't get it, even if these claims would have ultimately been unfounded, a claim of such magnitude should have had everyone with a telephone scrambling to call the local cops and DA. Potential lives and well being of children were at stake. Err on the side of caution. F--K damage control to the PSU image, what about that little boy and probably the countless other children that they could have saved from being sexually assaulted and living the rest of their lives scarred and probably needing some serious counseling. Simply disgusting, the whole lot of them.
                              For those that believe in hell, I'd like to think there is a special place reserved for people like Sandusky. It gives me the shivers to even think about the destruction he's undoubtedly caused.

EDIT: Allegedly caused. I should probably be careful to grab the pitchfork and club before he's prosecuted, but there seems to be an iceberg under the tip that's been revealed.
                              Last edited by KUlawJack; 11-07-2011, 11:37 PM.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                              X