Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tressel Resigns at The Ohio State

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Do you have proof of every program being dirty?
    You're right. College sports are clean.

And the NCAA is a bastion of integrity and fairness.

God bless America.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      You're right. College sports are clean.

And the NCAA is a bastion of integrity and fairness.

God bless America.
      You made a comparison to baseball of the 90s. So every player on every team used PEDs? Wow, that is amazing. Every single player is a druggy and a cheater. Same with college sports. So who is the guy at Mount Marty supplying teams and players with illegal benefits and giving perks and paying players? Whatta got? Anything of substance or just your biased opinion? Yeah the NCAA is not perfect, but they do a lot better then most pro leagues, if you fail to see that, just look at the problems every pro league faces. NCAA does a lot of stuff well, you just don't want to admit it.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

You made a comparison to baseball of the 90s. So every player on every team used PEDs? Wow, that is amazing. Every single player is a druggy and a cheater. Same with college sports. So who is the guy at Mount Marty supplying teams and players with illegal benefits and giving perks and paying players? Whatta got? Anything of substance or just your biased opinion? Yeah the NCAA is not perfect, but they do a lot better then most pro leagues, if you fail to see that, just look at the problems every pro league faces. NCAA does a lot of stuff well, you just don't want to admit it.
        Enough players on enough teams used PED's to make it reasonable to question the legitimacy of everyone's numbers. Especially considering the fact that most of the guys who have been caught were also locks for the Hall of Fame. MacGuire, Bonds, Clemens, etc. To not acknowledge a disturbing pattern is turning a blind eye. Sure, there were a bunch of PLAYERS who were clean, but enough doubt has been cast on the era to implicate any ELITE player.

Here's a list of some of the teams that shared some sort of NCAA football championship for the last 10 years according to wikipedia:

Miami
        Ohio State
        USC
        LSU
        Oklahoma
        Texas
        Florida
        Alabama
        Auburn

Which of those NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS would you bet your house on were running a clean program if all facts were exposed to the light of day? I wouldn't bet on one of them.

I'm not saying all college sports are dirty, but I am saying that most people would be very uncomfortable with the state of elite college athletics if they knew everything that was going on.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          Enough players on enough teams used PED's to make it reasonable to question the legitimacy of everyone's numbers. Especially considering the fact that most of the guys who have been caught were also locks for the Hall of Fame. MacGuire, Bonds, Clemens, etc. To not acknowledge a disturbing pattern is turning a blind eye. Sure, there were a bunch of PLAYERS who were clean, but enough doubt has been cast on the era to implicate any ELITE player.

Here's a list of some of the teams that shared some sort of NCAA football championship for the last 10 years according to wikipedia:

Miami
          Ohio State
          USC
          LSU
          Oklahoma
          Texas
          Florida
          Alabama
          Auburn

Which of those NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS would you bet your house on were running a clean program if all facts were exposed to the light of day? I wouldn't bet on one of them.

I'm not saying all college sports are dirty, but I am saying that most people would be very uncomfortable with the state of elite college athletics if they knew everything that was going on.
          It’s insulting to those who actually do play by the rules and don't cheat to lump them with those who do.

Lets say, hypothetical, you have a large, family, extended family, aunts and uncles etc. Say you have one brother and uncle who are the black sheep, break the rules, spend time in jail etc. So we could reasonably say because of the actions of those 2, that the whole family is a bunch of criminals? Even if there actions are not related to the rest of the family?

Ohio State has issues right now, but, to claim the whole team even is breaking the rules. Unless there is any kind of evidence that shows every one, second team and scout team, that they broke the rules too, it’s not right to even put them in the same boat as those who break the rules. Innocent until proven guilty, unless we are talking about sports fans opinions, and then every one is guilty. So Mount Marty, Dordt, Minot State, Black Hills State, So your saying all college programs and those under the NCAA are guilty of something, just not sure what? Let the conspiracy theories begin.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Stereotypes are a real time saver.

Comment

Miami
              Ohio State
              USC
              LSU
              Oklahoma
              Texas
              Florida
              Alabama
              Auburn

I'm putting the money on Auburn. Oh, you're telling me they pay players? Never thought that would happen at Auburn....

Well then, let's try USC? Houses? They give houses to players' families? And they hired Lane Kiffin as their coach?!?!?!?

Hmmmm....how about Alabama? You wouldn't touch that house of cards and all the oversigning Saban does with a ten foot pole you say?

Well then, Miami? Ooooh, you mean that's the coach who built the Hurricanes is the same Butch Davis as the one at UNC? Yikes.

How about Florida? You mean to tell me that they had almost half their roster arrested in the last 4 years?

Well, then what about LSU? Oh, we're still in the SEC? Well then, forget that.

Texas? Oklahoma? Man, I wouldn't even try to argue that they're clean. Didn't you see that 30 for 30 on Marcus Dupree. Granted it happened in the 80s, but both schools MOVED coaches to his po-dunk Mississippi town to recruit him. I mean, they LIVED there.

Thus ends the journey through the past decade of champions. Big Time College Football's finest are something aren't they?
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

It’s insulting to those who actually do play by the rules and don't cheat to lump them with those who do.

Lets say, hypothetical, you have a large, family, extended family, aunts and uncles etc. Say you have one brother and uncle who are the black sheep, break the rules, spend time in jail etc. So we could reasonably say because of the actions of those 2, that the whole family is a bunch of criminals? Even if there actions are not related to the rest of the family?
                Everyone is always judged by the company they keep. That's just the way the world works.

Since we are talking hypothetical, surely some inmates in the South Dakota State Pen are innocent. Can a person generally say that people in the pen are criminals, or is that taking things too far?

Can a person generally say that elite DI football programs are dirty based on the actions of elite DI football programs? I say yes.

Ohio State has issues right now, but, to claim the whole team even is breaking the rules. Unless there is any kind of evidence that shows every one, second team and scout team, that they broke the rules too, it’s not right to even put them in the same boat as those who break the rules. Innocent until proven guilty, unless we are talking about sports fans opinions, and then every one is guilty. So Mount Marty, Dordt, Minot State, Black Hills State, So your saying all college programs and those under the NCAA are guilty of something, just not sure what? Let the conspiracy theories begin.
                You are arguing two different things when it comes to Ohio State. The program is dirty, that cannot be questioned. That doesn't mean every single player is dirty. All the colleges you listed are small time. Last I checked Dordt hasn't won a national championship in FCS football.

Yes, the NCAA rulebook is so extensive and ridiculous, pretty much every elite program would be in violation. I think 100 dollar handshakes are commonplace. If that makes me a conspiracy theorist, so be it. 2 years ago, you would have argued until you were blue in the face the OSU was clean as a whistle.

Like I asked in my previous post, which of the last 10 national football champions do you think in your heart of hearts hasn't committed a single infraction? Which do you say, "well, I guess its pretty likely..."
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                  I'm putting the money on Auburn. Oh, you're telling me they pay players? Never thought that would happen at Auburn....

Well then, let's try USC? Houses? They give houses to players' families? And they hired Lane Kiffin as their coach?!?!?!?

Hmmmm....how about Alabama? You wouldn't touch that house of cards and all the oversigning Saban does with a ten foot pole you say?

Well then, Miami? Ooooh, you mean that's the coach who built the Hurricanes is the same Butch Davis as the one at UNC? Yikes.

How about Florida? You mean to tell me that they had almost half their roster arrested in the last 4 years?

Well, then what about LSU? Oh, we're still in the SEC? Well then, forget that.

Texas? Oklahoma? Man, I wouldn't even try to argue that they're clean. Didn't you see that 30 for 30 on Marcus Dupree. Granted it happened in the 80s, but both schools MOVED coaches to his po-dunk Mississippi town to recruit him. I mean, they LIVED there.

Thus ends the journey through the past decade of champions. Big Time College Football's finest are something aren't they?
                  Exactly.

Comment

Exactly.
                    One Texas football players take on the scrutiny athletes at UT are under, especially the football team.

http://barkingcarnival.fantake.com/2...ional-control/
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Everyone is always judged by the company they keep. That's just the way the world works.

Since we are talking hypothetical, surely some inmates in the South Dakota State Pen are innocent. Can a person generally say that people in the pen are criminals, or is that taking things too far?

Can a person generally say that elite DI football programs are dirty based on the actions of elite DI football programs? I say yes.

You are arguing two different things when it comes to Ohio State. The program is dirty, that cannot be questioned. That doesn't mean every single player is dirty. All the colleges you listed are small time. Last I checked Dordt hasn't won a national championship in FCS football.

Yes, the NCAA rulebook is so extensive and ridiculous, pretty much every elite program would be in violation. I think 100 dollar handshakes are commonplace. If that makes me a conspiracy theorist, so be it. 2 years ago, you would have argued until you were blue in the face the OSU was clean as a whistle.

Like I asked in my previous post, which of the last 10 national football champions do you think in your heart of hearts hasn't committed a single infraction? Which do you say, "well, I guess its pretty likely..."
                      So your saying still only the actions of a few determines the guilt of everyone? So SDSU is in the clear because we are not winning championships every year, so it doesn’t matter here. Just the elite schools matter. I guess we are not looking at the whole picture.

Your claiming the program as a whole is dirty by the actions of maybe only a few players. You can't split hairs. Ohio State has issues because of what Tressel knew. Usually most cases involve only 1 or 2 individuals, rarely involving the staff. If there are so many dirty programs why is every single school in the NCAA not under investigations? I find it hard to say because of a few people the whole program is dirty.

So I guess you are saying we are all criminals because we might know some one who is. Like I said earlier with RO, guilt by association, with no evidence to prove they are guilty, because they play college football for the NCAA they are corrupt and breaking the rules.

Comment

If you are going to cheat, cheat really well (win bcs bowl games and national championships) and don't get caught. Also have an automatic email eraser and don't let Sports Illustrated on campus.

Like I previously stated it happens in some form or another at 90% of college football programs. Some are much more severe and when a coach can't notice your star player living in a beach side house (Reggie Bush) or driving a different nice car every 6-8 months (Pryor) they deserve a harsh penalty. when they are setting up players with boosters or involved with cash transactions those coaches/programs deserve harsh penalties. Now if the team has a few players get some benefits or if a couple of guys get arrested or something like that then I don't think its that bad.

Comment

Just to give everyone an idea how crazy college football is, I've had a conversation with a former player from a BCS school. He played quarterback, but was only a back-up during his career. He never started and this was a low end school that never came close to winning even a conference championship. Obviously I won't release a name or a school, but he told me he received a minimum of $500-$1000 after each game and a lot of times it was more. He also received money during the offseason as well. Also, this was about 8-10 yrs ago. God only knows what was going on years ago during the Nebraska years and the SEC is just as bad.

I don't think this is unbelievable by any means, but if this guy was getting money at a school like this, what's going on at the good football programs? We all know this is going on and the NCAA needs to either cut it down or let the athletes get paid. No middle ground because it's not going to work.
                          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

So your saying still only the actions of a few determines the guilt of everyone? So SDSU is in the clear because we are not winning championships every year, so it doesn’t matter here. Just the elite schools matter. I guess we are not looking at the whole picture.
                            I'm saying the temptation for cars, cash, etc isn't as great at SDSU. Do I think SDSU breaks some minor NCAA rules from time to time without anyone's knowledge? It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Your claiming the program as a whole is dirty by the actions of maybe only a few players. You can't split hairs. Ohio State has issues because of what Tressel knew. Usually most cases involve only 1 or 2 individuals, rarely involving the staff. If there are so many dirty programs why is every single school in the NCAA not under investigations? I find it hard to say because of a few people the whole program is dirty.
                            I'm sure Enron had a ton of great employees. Unfortunately, when you are part of an organization and the top brass screws up royally, everybody pays the price.

So I guess you are saying we are all criminals because we might know some one who is. Like I said earlier with RO, guilt by association, with no evidence to prove they are guilty, because they play college football for the NCAA they are corrupt and breaking the rules.
                            I think we may have a misunderstanding. I'm putting part of my argument on the idea that NCAA rules are so extensive and far reaching that it is almost impossible to run a "clean" program.

To make an analogy: Are you a criminal? No, that's good. Have you ever gotten a parking ticket? Maybe, but that doesn't make you a bad person, its just a violation. It doesn't make your whole family criminals, but it does make you an offender. And just about everybody has gotten a parking ticket, speeding ticket, or underage at some point in their lives. The rules are so far-reaching into everyday situations, its actually pretty hard to stay "above board."

I knew a college athlete at SDSU who couldn't work on his own grandfather's farm during the summer months because it would have been an NCAA violation at the time. He worked on his grandfather's farm, but was paid in cash. It wasn't a no-show job. In the NCAA's eyes, that's a violation.

Comment

Working...
                            X