• Show
Clear All

Re: UNC vs Duke

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    You and about 11 other people.
    Wonder who they are??

Comment

Duke runs a clean program, no recruiting vilations, high graduations rates and high quality of play. Everyone gives Duke their best shot and rarely come close to winning. Coach K expects the most out of his players, whats wrong with him expecting the most out of the refs who are working the game. college basketball is about college which may surprise some of you that its not an NBA factory. There have been many busts at the pro level from many highly touted kids from all the big programs. If those kids from UK and KU or UNC are so great, why are they not winning more championships if they are going to be NBA allstars?

Duke players rarely whine about calls, they do some, but if you watch, its much less then many other big programs players who whine. Hansbrough from the tarholes was the biggest whiner ever in college and yet people liked him, yet hated Reddick because Reddick was at Duke and was amazing shooter. I like Zeller from UNC, he works hard and does a lot of good things on the court, but many go to UNC just to live in Jordans shadow.

Its like the yankee effect, people hate the yankees because they win, or for other reasons(a-rod) but because they are on TV all the time and usually have very competitive teams. Duke is the same, year in and year out they play at the highest level. Something I feel all programs should strive to achieve to be like.

Coach K does more charitable work then many in the industry and his work with the USA basketball is amazing.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
        Wonder who they are??
        If this were in the Smack section,I would suggest that he counted arms and legs and forgot to divide by 4 - but since it isn't,I won't.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
          Yes, I am anti-Duke.

I did not say Duke gets every call.

Other coaches complain too.

Does Coach K have more influence over officials than other coaches? Make your own call.

And, their style of play is what turns me off on them, more than anything. I dislike watching the grabbing and clutching...to me, that's not basketball.

I don't think it's a coincidence that when Duke players leave college, very few go on to stardom in the NBA, and wouldn't you expect them to be fantastic defenders at the NBA level, since that's what they are known for at college? Yet, really only Battier over the years has emerged as a good professional defensive player.... maybe Boozer.

The best professional player in the coach K era has been Grant Hill, or maybe Boozer. That's not an impressive list for such a "great" college program.

And, I'm not here to argue.

I'm not emotional about this.

It's just things I've noticed.

And yes, I have already stated...I'm anti-Duke.
          I'm not emotional either. Very relaxed. I'm ok with the fact that people are anti-Duke. Makes it even more fun to root for them.

My response to the comment that Duke doesn't put out a lot of NBA stars....Facts are that Duke has not had a bunch of NBA "stars" during the Coach K era. No argument from me there. There has been some though: But that actually just proves what a good coach Coach K really is. He doesn't need NBA all stars on his roster to win an NCAA championship.
          What college programs are pumping out NBA all star after NBA all star? (Seriously, if anyone has data on this I'd be curious to find out)

Comment

I agree with JackMD...they are hateable.

I agree with goon, Coach K does run a clean program, and I also agree the players don't whine about calls on the current team (the Bobby Hurley Christian Laettner team led the world in that), and I really think that's more the kids than the coaches.

I also agree with Goon that no one would care or hate them if they weren't successful. that's 100% true. There are always haters. I know this fully, as I like the Lakers in the NBA, and that's similar.

JamesJack, I also agree that does show that K is a great college coach. You'll never hear me say the guy doesn't know how to coach. He is an amazing coach. I'm not a fan of his team's "style of play" I guess you'd say.

One of the things that makes me smile, as I love this rivalry and have read two very good books on it: "To hate like this, is to be happy forever" and "Blue Bloods".... is that earlier in K's career(back when Dean "got all the calls"), he got up to argue some call, and Dean got after the official for telling him what to do...and when K returned to the bench he told his assistant "If I ever start to act like him, just shoot me"

Now it's funny, because K is accused of the same thing.

I don't like Duke. But I respect the hell out of them.

Comment

I agree with JackMD...they are hateable.

I agree with goon, Coach K does run a clean program, and I also agree the players don't whine about calls on the current team (the Bobby Hurley Christian Laettner team led the world in that), and I really think that's more the kids than the coaches.

I also agree with Goon that no one would care or hate them if they weren't successful. that's 100% true. There are always haters. I know this fully, as I like the Lakers in the NBA, and that's similar.

JamesJack, I also agree that does show that K is a great college coach. You'll never hear me say the guy doesn't know how to coach. He is an amazing coach. I'm not a fan of his team's "style of play" I guess you'd say.

One of the things that makes me smile, as I love this rivalry and have read two very good books on it: "To hate like this, is to be happy forever" and "Blue Bloods".... is that earlier in K's career(back when Dean "got all the calls"), he got up to argue some call, and Dean got after the official for telling him what to do...and when K returned to the bench he told his assistant "If I ever start to act like him, just shoot me"

Thats the hard part for most of the haters out there have a hard time admiting they respect duke. I feel Duke as a program and many fans of theirs respect the opposition because if you can't respect what your opponent can do, how can you respect and defend your self.

I myself can not stand the lakers, I have no desire to watch the NBA, the ego and drama is sickening.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

There are teams I love to hate...the Red Sox for one. I love to hate 'em but I hate it when they aren't in the playoffs too. I pull against them, but when they get beat out, I kinda miss them. Make any sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                  There are teams I love to hate...the Red Sox for one. I love to hate 'em but I hate it when they aren't in the playoffs too. I pull against them, but when they get beat out, I kinda miss them. Make any sense?
                  People wouldnt hate Duke if they didnt have north carolina and vis versa IMO. But it does sound very jekyl(SP) and Hyde of you.

Comment

Great Book! Read it as well.

Comment

I don't understand how people here cheer for Duke or UNC or Florida or Notre Dame or Texas or UCLA or any school like that. It doesn't make sense.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        I don't understand how people here cheer for Duke or UNC or Florida or Notre Dame or Texas or UCLA or any school like that. It doesn't make sense.
                        I became a Notre Dame fan because when i was a kid they always replayed Notre Dames football game on Sunday morning. And we only had 4 channels back then so not much else to watch on a sunday. And being a ND football fan i became an ND basketball fan when they ended UCLA's 80game or something win streak.

Comment

I totally agree with you, and I may have part of the answer:

ZERO D-1 teams in South Dakota before (officially)2009. Kind of like when I used to tell people I was a huge Miami Dolphins fan(which I found out I was actualy just a Dan Marino fan, considering I'm not much of a Dolphins fan anymore) I would tell them...well we don't have any NFL teams in SD, so I figured I could pick any team I want!

I think you're fairly young RO if I remember correctly...and I have a feeling people in SD your age aren't as hard core Tar Heels/Duke/Notre Dame(traditional power-program) fans as my generation...just a guess though.

And BTW...I'm not at all saying you can't root for a college team that you didn't graduate from or root for a professional team from a different state than the one you reside or grew up in... Heck, I'm one of the biggest SDSU fans you'll meet, but have a degree from somewhere else.

Go Jacks!!
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                            I became a Notre Dame fan because when i was a kid they always replayed Notre Dames football game on Sunday morning. And we only had 4 channels back then so not much else to watch on a sunday. And being a ND football fan i became an ND basketball fan when they ended UCLA's 80game or something win streak.

This too /\/\/\/\

There are soooo many more ways to watch more teams than just...Notre Dame, Duke, UNC nowadays.

Go Jacks!!
                            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                              I think your fairly young RO if I remember correctly...and I have a feeling people in SD your age aren't as hard core Tar Heels/Duke/Notre Dame(traditional power-program) fans as my generation...just a guess though.
                              No, most of my friends like some random college team. A lot of people I know either like Duke or UNC for college basketball. And for football a lot of my friends cheer for Texas or OU or Florida or some other major program. I've never had a college football allegiance (though I generally cheer for the SEC teams for some reason), and I used to cheer for Duke basketball back when Jay Williams played. After he left I realized I didn't really like Duke or have any reason to cheer for them. So now I just cheer for who I gamble on.

And I agree, I'm not saying you can't cheer for a school that you didn't graduate from. I just don't understand being fiercely loyal to a school that you just picked to cheer for because they were good or on tv. I cheer for the Lakers cause I like Kobe, but I won't cheer for them after he retires.

The only teams I actually care about passionately are the Twins and the Cowboys. And I find as I grow older, I care less and less.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

No, most of my friends like some random college team. A lot of people I know either like Duke or UNC for college basketball. And for football a lot of my friends cheer for Texas or OU or Florida or some other major program. I've never had a college football allegiance (though I generally cheer for the SEC teams for some reason), and I used to cheer for Duke basketball back when Jay Williams played. After he left I realized I didn't really like Duke or have any reason to cheer for them. So now I just cheer for who I gamble on.

And I agree, I'm not saying you can't cheer for a school that you didn't graduate from. I just don't understand being fiercely loyal to a school that you just picked to cheer for because they were good or on tv. I cheer for the Lakers cause I like Kobe, but I won't cheer for them after he retires.

The only teams I actually care about passionately are the Twins and the Cowboys. And I find as I grow older, I care less and less.
                                When I became a Duke fan was in the early 90s when the only college basketball I watched was on TV for the NCAA tourny and Duke was pretty good those years, same with why I like nebraska football. My true love will always be SDSU, but I generally cheer for more football teams in big 10 and 12 pac 10 and sec can suck an egg for all I care. and Duke is the only non regional college team I like.

Pro sports for me is different, I dont mind the twins but love my Cardinals for baseball I follow them closely. Football the 49ers and NBA Utah Jazz. they were just the teams I learned to like growing up, the players and such were what I follow and with them gone I really don't feel any more allegance anymore, except

I bet most have their reasons for why liking or disliking a team but thats what makes its sports. It would be dull if people didn't have different teams or reasons to cheer. Personally I find fewer things more obnoxious then Viqueen fans, and I hardly follow NFL football, just around here they are so brainwashed to think that every year its their year to win the superbowl. Not just make the playoffs or imrpove as a team, fans constantly think its their year because the signed a washed up old free agent who use to be good. Its like Cubs fans but for football. Just don't get my started on cubs fans. Cub sfans are like USD fans, they don't care if they win but if they beat the cardinals(SDSU) thats all they brag about no matter how bad they finish overall.

Comment

Working...
                                X