Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taylor Martinez quits NE?

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    This attitude is a major problem in many areas of our society. Instead of resolving the issues via appropriate measure people think they have right to or need to contact a lawyer and involve the legal system. This leads to a cascade of events that generates very little except cash for an attorney and headaches for everyone else involved. At what point in our society did every personnel conflict become a legal issue?

In almost every instance issues like this one can be resolved by the parties involved and their superiors. There are rare instances when legal measures involving outside counsel arise. Pelini was out of line, he should apologize and make an effort to improve understanding that there will be consequences if he does not. Those consequences should not involve the legal system, especially not criminal charges.

Our society is much to litigious and that is creating more harm than good.
    I agree that the art of communication has seemed to gone by the wayside.

The combination in today's society of hyper-sensitivity and the legal system has set a dangerous precedent.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

This attitude is a major problem in many areas of our society. Instead of resolving the issues via appropriate measure people think they have right to or need to contact a lawyer and involve the legal system. This leads to a cascade of events that generates very little except cash for an attorney and headaches for everyone else involved. At what point in our society did every personnel conflict become a legal issue?

In almost every instance issues like this one can be resolved by the parties involved and their superiors. There are rare instances when legal measures involving outside counsel arise. Pelini was out of line, he should apologize and make an effort to improve understanding that there will be consequences if he does not. Those consequences should not involve the legal system, especially not criminal charges.

Amen.

What's the old saying?
      Question: How can you tell if a lawyer is lying?
      Answer: His lips are moving.

Comment

People have a right to contact a lawyer and involve the legal system. It's the legal system's job to determine if wrong doing has actually occurred.

Here's a question. If a doctor treated a nurse like that in front of patients, other staff, and the hospital board of directors, would it be tolerated?

That's pretty much what Pelini did, and his non-apology and "keeping it in the family" talk doesn't really satisfy me. I love that he is willing to physically intimidate someone on national TV, but when it comes time to know why he was so upset, he wants to "keep it in the family."

What I was saying in my previous post was that if a superior treated my wife like that, and it was documented, and the offending person wasn't fired, I would seriously consider a lawsuit. Pelini hasn't been fired, has he? So yes, I would sue the school.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1220 View Post
          Amen.

What's the old saying?
          Hey now, I didn't say that and I don't want this to deteriorate into an attorney bashing thread. I happen to have several very good attorneys I employ as well as several close family members that have a J.D. Very rarely do I use them to resolve personnel issues.

There are many other professionals qualified to manage personnel conflicts and they don't have a J.D. or need to involve the legal system. That is the point I am trying to convey.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            People have a right to contact a lawyer and involve the legal system. It's the legal system's job to determine if wrong doing has actually occurred.

Here's a question. If a doctor treated a nurse like that in front of patients, other staff, and the hospital board of directors, would it be tolerated?

That's pretty much what Pelini did, and his non-apology and "keeping it in the family" talk doesn't really satisfy me. I love that he is willing to physically intimidate someone on national TV, but when it comes time to know why he was so upset, he wants to "keep it in the family."

What I was saying in my previous post was that if a superior treated my wife like that, and it was documented, and the offending person wasn't fired, I would seriously consider a lawsuit. Pelini hasn't been fired, has he? So yes, I would sue the school.
            Poor wording by me, people should have the right to seek legal counsel if they believe it is needed.

I think this discussion is getting further and further away from the reality of the Pelini situation. The right to obtain legal counsel is not one I am arguing against at all. The desire or misconception that is the most appropriate course is the issue I'm trying to bring to light.

Regardless, Pelini was out of line and those assigned to help him recognize that better make sure they do or there will likely be greater consequences for all involved.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Hey now, I didn't say that and I don't want this to deteriorate into an attorney bashing thread. I happen to have several very good attorneys I employ as well as several close family members that have a J.D. Very rarely do I use them to resolve personnel issues.

There are many other professionals qualified to manage personnel conflicts and they don't have a J.D. or need to involve the legal system. That is the point I am trying to convey.
              I'm just having a friendly conversation, and don't mean to be confrontational, but the double standard is pretty obvious.

On the one hand, you say people who feel they have been wronged in personnel issues don't deserve the right to consult with an attorney. On the other, you employ attorneys and have used them to resolve personnel issues.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Poor wording by me, people should have the right to seek legal counsel if they believe it is needed.

I think this discussion is getting further and further away from the reality of the Pelini situation. The right to obtain legal counsel is not one I am arguing against at all. The desire or misconception that is the most appropriate course is the issue I'm trying to bring to light.

Regardless, Pelini was out of line and those assigned to help him recognize that better make sure they do or there will likely be greater consequences for all involved.
                OK.

I think we are saying pretty much the same thing, just differ on where the line is.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                  My only concern with Martinez in a Georgia Tech type offense is the beating that he would take on about every play. He may be fast, but it seems that his toughness is the question. Perhaps more of a Urban Meier Utah type offense with the sprint read option.
                  Good call. Might be a better suited offense.
                  I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

OK.

I think we are saying pretty much the same thing, just differ on where the line is.
                    I think you're right. I'd waste more time trying to explain but nobody is interested in that. I will say, the attorney's are not directly involved in personnel issues until that becomes the last option. That doesn't mean they weren't involved in establishing the policies that are followed when dealing with the personnel issue. (damn I wasted more of the people's time)

Comment

Say I worked at Wal Mart and could document consistent aggressive behavior, including physical altercations, from the regional manager. Furthermore, Wal Mart continually supports the manager and their actions, refusing to acknowledge any wrong doing. Would I sue the manager or Wal Mart?
                      My point was you are stealing money from Nebraskans to make yourself feel better since little boy Bo was picking on you. Bo makes a enough money you should be able to make yourself feel better about yourself by taking his salary not wasting tax payer money so you can feel good and make people like you.

Don't get me wrong. I don't condone what he was doing, but if someone did that to me I would look at myself first then at who was doing it to me. Not which party that is closest has the most money. If it is a me problem I change what I am doing. If it is a them problem I disassociate myself from them. Not figure how I can make myself rich off of it.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                        My point was you are stealing money from Nebraskans to make yourself feel better since little boy Bo was picking on you. Bo makes a enough money you should be able to make yourself feel better about yourself by taking his salary not wasting tax payer money so you can feel good and make people like you.

Don't get me wrong. I don't condone what he was doing, but if someone did that to me I would look at myself first then at who was doing it to me. Not which party that is closest has the most money. If it is a me problem I change what I am doing. If it is a them problem I disassociate myself from them. Not figure how I can make myself rich off of it.
                        Pelini is an employee of the state of Nebraska. If the state of Nebraska is turning a blind eye to hostile work environments, they are also responsible. Nebraska hired him and continues to employ him. Winning a lawsuit against a state is not stealing money from taxpayers, its holding an organization accountable for its behavior. If the Governor sexually harassed female staffers, and people within state government with an ability to stop it do nothing, would a suit against the state be warranted?

Walking away doesn't really address the problem, if it is institutional, thus the reason for suing Nebraska. Its abusive behavior that needs to stop, the victim walking away only enables the abuser further, especially if the state of Nebraska doesn't do anything to correct the behavior.

Recently a coach from IPFW or IUPUI was fired for similar behavior as Pelini. Other than some extra zeroes on a paycheck and gender difference of the athletes involved, what's the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                          I won't even get into my tirade about how BS it is that this society is so "sue happy".

You're wrong or, perhaps you just said it a little incorrectly. There's no question people are more likely these days to threaten a lawsuit even though there may be no legal basis for such a lawsuit. For those who care about facts, study the numbers of lawsuits filed and compare that to how our population grows. Want to learn something even more surprising? Look at the number of jury trials that are occurring each year -- if you study those facts, you'll probably conclude as have many legal scholars and people concerned about preserving Constitutional rights, that the right to a jury trial is going to disappear due to lack of interest.

Every lawyer I know spends significant time telling people they do not have the basis for a lawsuit. I suppose I could be cynical and say that society's attitude is good for business because once in a while a legitimate claims walks in a lawyer's office. But, I think most lawyers would rather not waste time telling people they don't have a case (they get mad at the lawyer) because the truly legitimate cases will come in the door anyway.

Added later: Looks like I'm arriving late in the discussion and just posting replies as I read along...should have read the entire thread before posting. Anyway, I'll leave this up.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1220 View Post
                            Amen.

What's the old saying?
                            My son is a lawyer and I'm very proud of him. So, you're doing something very stupid, jackrabbit1220: insulting someone's kid. How about we not take gratuitous shots at groups of people like that.

Comment

Getting back to the point of this thread, remember what happened in Kansas.. Started out as rumors of maltreatment, kids wanting to quit, etc., but as long as they were semi-successful it seemed to be overlooked? Is this the same situation budding? More importantly, And will the Big 10 just stand by and welcome them in?

Comment

Drill Sergeants are prohibited from harming recruits via physical contact. The meaning of the word "harming" has changed pretty dramatically in the last ten years. Drill sergeants pretty much don't touch recruits anymore.
                                Join the Corps and let your Jr. DI know when you get to boot camp that you want to visit the "Whisky Locker". Get back to me when your done and let me know how that hands off policy worked out for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X