Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Sky

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    I would LOL if the BOR put a halt to USD to the Big Sky.
    Exactly what I posted about earlier in this thread. Give it a rest, aren't you better than that?

Comment

I would LOL if the BOR put a halt to USD to the Big Sky.
      If the BOR has good intentions for the South Dakota schools that they represent if they halted USD's move to the Big Sky they would be halting USD's best chances for success within their athletic department. Whatever your opinion of USD, I am sure as a SDSU supporter you probably wouldn't be too happy if the BOR did the same to SDSU. Anything is possible afterall they put the brakes on facility improvements and additions to multiple South Dakota Universities. I won't try to understand their motives though because that may be a mistake.
      How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Excellent thought. I sense some amount of angst from my fellow SDSU supporters with respect to the possibility of USD going to the BSC. There should be a sense of excitement and interest, not angst. I am quite confident that USD's ultimate decision will have little impact on SDSU going forward. Will a move to the BSC cause some changes? Sure it will but I feel confident that our administration is prepared to adjust and capitalize on opportunities as we go forward.

To think, one of the main arguments of the detractors regarding the move to DI for both programs was the lack of conference affiliation.
        Personally I think a number of SDSU fans (myself included) were looking forward to USD being in the Summit. During the D2 days the BB rivalry was far more intense and bringing that over to D1 would have been good for SDSU, USD and the Summit. As for USD in the MVFC, I had hoped they would be Big Sky FB, Summit BB. In addition I think there is some angst based on inaccurate info being posted in regards to the Summit being in danger of losing an auto bid. That isn't going to happen. I have read ORU to the Southland and WIU to the MVC. Neither is going to occur. I won't get into the USD fans who think that SDSU are blocking them or now delaying the announcement.

I'm still intrigued by what the Big Sky are doing. Once again Fullerton references some FBS schools struggling and taking a look at FCS. If that occurs how the heck would the Big Sky handle some of the WAC schools moving down? Grow to a 16 or 18 member league? If the WAC schools drop how long before schools from the MAC follow, or the Sun Belt? I have a feeling that in the next decade the MVFC, Big Sky, OVC, Big South and Southland may all look very different.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
          Personally I think a number of SDSU fans (myself included) were looking forward to USD being in the Summit. During the D2 days the BB rivalry was far more intense and bringing that over to D1 would have been good for SDSU, USD and the Summit. As for USD in the MVFC, I had hoped they would be Big Sky FB, Summit BB. In addition I think there is some angst based on inaccurate info being posted in regards to the Summit being in danger of losing an auto bid. That isn't going to happen. I have read ORU to the Southland and WIU to the MVC. Neither is going to occur. I won't get into the USD fans who think that SDSU are blocking them or now delaying the announcement.

I'm still intrigued by what the Big Sky are doing. Once again Fullerton references some FBS schools struggling and taking a look at FCS. If that occurs how the heck would the Big Sky handle some of the WAC schools moving down? Grow to a 16 or 18 member league? If the WAC schools drop how long before schools from the MAC follow, or the Sun Belt? I have a feeling that in the next decade the MVFC, Big Sky, OVC, Big South and Southland may all look very different.
          Funny I haven't read anywhere that anyone has said they thought SDSU WAS trying to block USD from anything.
          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by usdfbalum View Post
            Exactly what I posted about earlier in this thread. Give it a rest, aren't you better than that?
            Sorry if I offended, I meant it more as a WTF BOR LOL. More of a what will the BOR do next. Not a dislike USD and relish their misfortunes LOL.

For the record, I would prefer USD remain in the Summit and gain membership to MVFC.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
              If the BOR has good intentions for the South Dakota schools that they represent if they halted USD's move to the Big Sky they would be halting USD's best chances for success within their athletic department. Whatever your opinion of USD, I am sure as a SDSU supporter you probably wouldn't be too happy if the BOR did the same to SDSU. Anything is possible afterall they put the brakes on facility improvements and additions to multiple South Dakota Universities. I won't try to understand their motives though because that may be a mistake.
              Honestly, this is where the slippery slope exists. There are many Jackrabbit fans that were and forever will be pissed off at how hard a number of USD "folks" lobbied against SDSU's move which I think we can all say was the right thing to do for BOTH schools. Shame on those involved in that.

I agree that it would be terrible if the BOR halted it if it is in the best interest of USD.

The good news for the 'Yote's is they are suddenly "in demand" by a couple conferences. Personally, I think the Summit League with membership in the MVFC is a much, much better option for USD, SDSU, and the entire state. The two conferences have no doubt been talking about this stuff for some time and now they may need to act quickly. Only those involved in those meetings/conference calls know what direction they are going to go.

I think I coined it right in a thread a week or so ago. This is a great game of "University Hold 'em" and we're going to see who has the "nuts" really soon.

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                Funny I haven't read anywhere that anyone has said they thought SDSU WAS trying to block USD from anything.
                Since this isn't in the smack section I'll let this one go.

Comment

Sorry if I offended, I meant it more as a WTF BOR LOL. More of a what will the BOR do next. Not a dislike USD and relish their misfortunes LOL.

For the record, I would prefer USD remain in the Summit and gain membership to MVFC.

No offense taken. IMO most of the USD/SDSU fans that only post negative things or back-handed compliments about each other's schools are miserable insecure people. Unfortunately there are a lot of them on both sides. I think this conference setup will actually help both Universities rally support from the people in the region.

USD is referred to on this site as little brother quite a bit. I will not conceed that premise, but will ask: If you have a little brother, do you root against his success? I sure hope not. Your brother is about to open up for business out West - I would think you want him to kick some a**.

Comment

Originally posted by usdfbalum View Post
                    The whole idea of "it is not enough for SDSU to succeed to be happy, USD must also fail." (or the reverse for USD fans) is pretty unhealthy for both Universities.

How about both our programs go out and win some championships and represent South Dakota in the National spotlight versus always dragging each other through the mud.
                    Good stuff. I agree completely.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Random thoughts. USD does owe the Summit a buyout in my opinion, the terms of the contract will determine that.

Travel in the Summit and MVFC is not exactly easy. Has a fan I find it hard to make it to many of the away games. No arguing the Big Sky will be even more difficult.

Having the schools in 2 different conferences will bring more DI programs to SD and maybe we can both take advantage for our non-conference schedules in some sports.

SDSU needs to be an advocate for the Summit league but I don't want to give up the chance, no matter how slim it may be right now, to become an all-sport member of the MVC.

It makes no sense to wish for failure for either program. That doesn't mean you can't do it.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

USD has two imperfect options:
                        1) Summit League and independent football status, or
                        2) Big Sky all-sports membership.

Both have upsides and downsides for USD. Both as well have some effect on SDSU, although that effect is probably somewhat overstated by partisans of both schools, pro and con.

Personally, I don't begrudge USD no matter which way they go. I've always said that they need to do what's best for their institution--this circumstance is no different. I've always been pretty apathetic on The Rivalry, myself (perhaps the more partisan members of each fan base should be required to serve a stint as a board moderator . . . it gives you an entirely different perspective, let me tell you . . .)

I have no problem wishing USD luck whichever way they wind up going--except when they're playing SDSU, of course.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Though it isn't a done deal it appears USD will move to BSC in all sports. I say good for them in finding a home. I also say good for SDSU and the state for two reasons.

First, this will lead to greater exposure for SD outside the Northern Plains. Too often we look inward for validation of our success. This forces both institutions to look outward and to find success in their own achievment.

Second, I do not believe resuming the rivalry between USD and SDSU would be healthy for either school at this time. Too many terrible acts and words, on both sides, are still in recent memory. IMO the group that stood the most to gain in renewing the rivalry is the media. Both schools are finding new success without each other, that is the good news.

Again, when USD announces the move to BSC I say go make SD proud.
                          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Argus story: http://www.argusleader.com/article/2.../NEWS/11020334

Of particular interest:
                            "The dealing between the conference and USD is done. We've agreed to the terms," he said. "The letter is signed by the Big Sky and waiting for the (USD) president's signature.
                            "We have not been contacted," [Summit League commissioner] Douple said. "They are still an active voting member of the Summit League at this time."

If this is true, USD is showing a lack of class in their exit from the Summit League. They should at least be talking with Summit League officials.

Do what's best for your institution, but do it in a classy way.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Argus story: http://www.argusleader.com/article/2.../NEWS/11020334

Of particular interest:
                              "The dealing between the conference and USD is done. We've agreed to the terms," he said. "The letter is signed by the Big Sky and waiting for the (USD) president's signature.
                              "We have not been contacted," [Summit League commissioner] Douple said. "They are still an active voting member of the Summit League at this time."

If this is true, USD is showing a lack of class in their exit from the Summit League. They should at least be talking with Summit League officials.

Do what's best for your institution, but do it in a classy way.
                              I agree, we are hearing 2 different things. Sorry if this sounds smackish, but frankly I dont think USD knows how to do much in a classy way. Its 50/50 from my eyes.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                I agree, we are hearing 2 different things. Sorry if this sounds smackish, but frankly I dont think USD knows how to do much in a classy way. Its 50/50 from my eyes.
                                Has USD even asked the Summit to lobby MVFC for them? If USD isn't talking to the conference, how can the Summit or Summit football schools pressure the MVFC for them?

Comment

Working...
                                X