Clear All

• Fresno St. and Nevada to the MWC

More movement

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...75K4wD9HMAMS80

Re: Fresno St. and Nevada to the MWC

Background on Fresno State:

http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/08/07/...game-plan.html
    http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/06/21/...ancing-in.html

One wonders where the $5M buyout is going to come from.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      Background on Fresno State:

http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/08/07/...game-plan.html
      http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/06/21/...ancing-in.html

One wonders where the $5M buyout is going to come from.
      O.K. since I root for WYOMING I can somewhat answer that question.

Apparently the MWC will pay the fee and some reports have said that Nevada NEVER signed any deal saying that if a school left 5 years early, they'd have to pay the $5 million.

Also, just a gut feeling here but BYU will stay in the MWC rather than go Indy in football and head back to the WAC in all other sports.

Comment

It's big news here in Boise. In the span of 12 hours, it looked like BSU's new conference would be losing BYU --one of its top teams. Then the MWC struck back by raiding Fresno and Nevada from the WAC. Now the question is whether BYU still wants to join the now-depleted WAC for non-football sports. Idaho Vandals are now wondering if there will even be a WAC after the dust has settled.

Comment

The Hawaii boards are going crazy wondering if their football program should go Indy and get their other sports into the Big West.

I don't think things are done with the MWC.

A. I think BYU will stay.

B. the Big 12 will implode within 5 years and the MWC will get 2 schools from there but ONLY after the MWC gets AQ status in the BCS.

Comment

Originally posted by Crashola View Post
            It's big news here in Boise. In the span of 12 hours, it looked like BSU's new conference would be losing BYU --one of its top teams. Then the MWC struck back by raiding Fresno and Nevada from the WAC. Now the question is whether BYU still wants to join the now-depleted WAC for non-football sports. Idaho Vandals are now wondering if there will even be a WAC after the dust has settled.
            The WAC is the Summit League of the FBS.

Their membership has been chaotic for the past 15 years.

Now they sit at 6 members--and I don't give them good odds at drawing SMU & UTEP from C-USA--they may have to settle for Rice & Tulsa--and it won't be cheap to get them.

Comment

Now they sit at 6 members--and I don't give them good odds at drawing SMU & UTEP from C-USA--they may have to settle for Rice & Tulsa--and it won't be cheap to get them.
              And/or convince an FCS team or two to make the jump to FBS.

Comment

Originally posted by Crashola View Post
                And/or convince an FCS team or two to make the jump to FBS.
                With the budget issues facing public universities, I can't see that happening.

"Would you like to join a sad-sack football conference with stratospheric travel costs? No? Why not?"

The WAC had 4 schools with Sagarin ratings over 100 at the end of 2009. The mean 2009 Sagarin rating for the 6 remaining schools in the WAC is 111.

By comparison, the mean Sagarin rating for the 10 surviving CAA schools was 109, and the mean Sagarin rating for the Big Sky was 138.

Comment

Listening to the WAC commish conference call:

The buyout bill comes due in 59 days. Have fun trying to raise $10M in two months, MWC.

Comment

With the budget issues facing public universities, I can't see that happening.

"Would you like to join a sad-sack football conference with stratospheric travel costs? No? Why not?"

The WAC had 4 schools with Sagarin ratings over 100 at the end of 2009. The mean 2009 Sagarin rating for the 6 remaining schools in the WAC is 111.

By comparison, the mean Sagarin rating for the 10 surviving CAA schools was 109, and the mean Sagarin rating for the Big Sky was 138.
                    This might be the opportunity that Texas State and Texas San Antonio are looking for. But are on record of wanting to move up.

Comment

A friend sent me this link. Someone must have stayed up all night last night putting it together. It is very funny.

http://www.blocku.com/2010/8/19/1632...est-conference

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                        This might be the opportunity that Texas State and Texas San Antonio are looking for. But are on record of wanting to move up.
                        One issue with both Texas St and UTSA and Montana, they do not sponsor the required 16 sports, for a FBS football school.

Two of those three schools would need to add 2 sports and one needs to add 1 sport. Forgot which schools need to add 2 sports.

My question is, if the Big Sky loses schools like Sac. St. or Portland St. to the WAC, would they look to all four Dakota schools for membership?

Comment

They'd look to SUU and hold their nose and look at UVU first.

Comment

Originally posted by Sec310 View Post

My question is, if the Big Sky loses schools like Sac. St. or Portland St. to the WAC, would they look to all four Dakota schools for membership?
                            At this point in time the question is would the Dakota schools look back? I would be extremely surprised if NDSU or SDSU would be at all interested in a Big Sky invite and in fact I would see it as a step backwards. USD and UND might be forced to consider it if the Great West for football fell apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Sec310 View Post
                              One issue with both Texas St and UTSA and Montana, they do not sponsor the required 16 sports, for a FBS football school.

Two of those three schools would need to add 2 sports and one needs to add 1 sport. Forgot which schools need to add 2 sports.

That shipped sailed a long time ago. We are way better off in the Summit and MVFC

Comment

Working...
                              X