No announcement yet.

Great West River basketball players..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great West River basketball players..

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    what is out culture?
    Washington Nats?
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Cowboy Cody Volmer from Lyman County. I'm not sure he would be considered "great", but he was a solid role player as a power forward. He had some monster dunks and bad ass blocks. I always enjoyed watching him play. He was the enforcer on those teams in the late 90's and early this decade.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        what is out culture?

You are not the only one thrown by this term. Thread drift so carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
          Steve grew up in Bryant (Hamlin County), that's East River.
          Out culture, Right? got it.

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
            Jess Hart from Little Wound, was hands down the best player ever from SD. Saw him in person, absolutely unstoppable. I remember watching him on TV in the state tournament against DeSmet either in the semis or title game. Absolutely unstoppable. He had a schollie offer to either Kansas or Kansas State, but didn't take it. Also, Derek Paulson, the older brother of Paige Paulson, was a great player from Custer. Definently up there in the elite status in SD history. Had a full ride to Illinois, but tragically died in a car accident.
            I was there in person when Jess Hart lit up De Smet in the semifinals of the 1999 State Class A HS tournament in Rapid City. He went off for 45-50 points and in that game, yes, he was unstoppable. An untimely, stupid foul around the half court line took him out late in the game which De Smet ended up winning, I beleive in overtime. It was one of the most exciting and dramatic sporting events I've ever seen to this day. De Smet went on to beat Josh Mueller's West Central team in the finals.

The game itself is, without a doubt, one of the best ever in South Dakota HS basketball history. I believe this game was brought up many times on this board in a thread discussing the best basketball games ever. I can't seem to find it tough. Someone help me out!

I'm not going to say if Jess Hart was the best ever. He'd certainly be in the argument though. I do remember hearing about the K-State & Kansas talk as well but I know his grades weren't good enough in high school to get him into a 4-year school. Ultimately, right or wrong, his lack of a post high school career takes him out of running for "best ever."

Comment

The article linked by "i got a fever" is another good one. It actually talks quite a bit about Mac (Mackenzie Casey).

FWIW, Macs sister tells me he's going for a tryout overseas.....can't remember where.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                The article linked by "i got a fever" is another good one. It actually talks quite a bit about Mac (Mackenzie Casey).

FWIW, Macs sister tells me he's going for a tryout overseas.....can't remember where.
                Good for him. Hopefully he can avoid getting stuck in the rut of the reservations.

Comment

I thought Derek Paulson was headed to Stanford. The thing I remember Paulson doing is hitting the game winning shot in the 1998 state tourney championship game.

Comment

Derek had not decided where he was going to attend college.

Comment

Matt Martin, Spearfish
                      Freddie Knife, Eagle Butte
                      Terry Cuny, Rapid City Central

Comment

Here is cuople you to add in the mix:

Dewayne Pean was pretty solid before moving to NC(I think?)

Denver Tenbroek played at NDSU and now overseas.

Keith Cutler

Zach Finley(STM) now at Princeton

David Laqua(Bennett County) to Northern then Hawaii-Hilo I think.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          I was there in person when Jess Hart lit up De Smet in the semifinals of the 1999 State Class A HS tournament in Rapid City. He went off for 45-50 points and in that game, yes, he was unstoppable. An untimely, stupid foul around the half court line took him out late in the game which De Smet ended up winning, I beleive in overtime. It was one of the most exciting and dramatic sporting events I've ever seen to this day. De Smet went on to beat Josh Mueller's West Central team in the finals.

The game itself is, without a doubt, one of the best ever in South Dakota HS basketball history. I believe this game was brought up many times on this board in a thread discussing the best basketball games ever. I can't seem to find it tough. Someone help me out!

I'm not going to say if Jess Hart was the best ever. He'd certainly be in the argument though. I do remember hearing about the K-State & Kansas talk as well but I know his grades weren't good enough in high school to get him into a 4-year school. Ultimately, right or wrong, his lack of a post high school career takes him out of running for "best ever."
                          Best B championship ever in my mind was back when there were 200-some plus B schools and only two classes. It was the '69 game, Onida 93, DeSmet 90. Absolute back-and-forth shootout from beginning to end.

Comment

Your right, back then the State B's ruled. That was a great game.

Comment

Doug Herrmann Custer first team all state 79. All state in football, basketball and state champion in the shot. 3 year starter for D-line with Nebraska; 2 years with the Redskins. His daughter Kelly is a freshman on the Jacks vollyeball team.

Comment

Anybody remember Terry Shigg from RCC? He lived a few doors down from my family. Great kid and amazing athlete. I remember watching him dunk during a junior high game. I believe he went on to play at Kentucky.
                                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Working...
                                X