Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Somebody in Winner won the Powerball

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
    Have to believe that young Neal Wanless, the winner of the Powerball, is related to Terry Wanless, AD at UND and Sacramento State. All from the same area.
    I was wondering the same thing. I believe Terry was a finalist for the AD job when Fred was hired.
    I had thought he had gotten one of his degress at SDSU, but got his bacholors at BHSU.

http://www.hornetsports.com/athletic...FF_MEMBER_ID=1

Comment

I heard the winner is changing his last name to Wan. With that much money, he won't settle for less on anything.

Comment

He might be wanless, but he's sure not winless.

Comment

Does this now affect Todd Countys status as the seventh poorest county in America? What a feeling it must be to know that you have more money in the bank than the state of California.

Comment

Has our new AD been in touch with him yet? If not I'm sure he has people digging for any ties to SDSU so he can pitch the young suddenly rich rancher to fund some on campus development.
            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

As sad as it sounds, I think young Mr. Wanless needs to watch his back. There are lots of crazy people in this world and if you are broke, jobless and desperate, well, trying to steal some money from a skinny little cowboy in Mission, SD might sound like an easy way to make a buck.

Comment

True, Cowbell, but in most cases, I'd bet on a "skinny little cowboy in Mission" coming out on top!

Or Faith, or anywhere in Harding County, or Dell Rapids for that matter!

Comment

I suspect one of the big reasons he did not come forward the minute after the drawing was that he needed time to line up some advisors, and from I heard he does have them and I do hope he does get the best advice. Lets hope he has some ties to SDSU. I would hate to see substantial gifts going to Sacremento State, who AD is also named Wanless, and might be a relative.

Comment

I feel bad for the guy because he is not married. I'm sure the gold diggers are lining up. I think we should be happy for him rather than worrying about what athletic department is going to get some of the riches.
                    Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by valleyrabbit View Post
                      I feel bad for the guy because he is not married. I'm sure the gold diggers are lining up. I think we should be happy for him rather than worrying about what athletic department is going to get some of the riches.
                      Hey I am not worried about what he does and whether it includes SDSU or not. Nor am I worried bout the women who try to get into his life. Whether its the SDSU or the golddiggers I agree we should wish him well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                        As sad as it sounds, I think young Mr. Wanless needs to watch his back. There are lots of crazy people in this world and if you are broke, jobless and desperate, well, trying to steal some money from a skinny little cowboy in Mission, SD might sound like an easy way to make a buck.
                        Repeating earlier post:
                        1. Change to an unlisted phone - immediately. A guy I know won the DC lottery but got threatening calls about why a Virginia guy was taking DC money.
                        2. Trim the family tree - a lot. Relatives the winner never knew existed will start coming out of the woodwork.

Comment

From the news reports I've seen, it sounds like Wanless has his head screwed on straight.

I hope it stays that way, and he's able to find advisors and friends who care more about him and his family than they do about dollar signs. This won't be easy, unfortunately.

His best friends will be those who, instead of volunteering ideas for him to spend money on, can look him in the eye and say "are you sure you want to do that?"
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                            Repeating earlier post:
                            1. Change to an unlisted phone - immediately. A guy I know won the DC lottery but got threatening calls about why a Virginia guy was taking DC money.
                            2. Trim the family tree - a lot. Relatives the winner never knew existed will start coming out of the woodwork.
                            I would add this:

3. Put your proposal in writing and send to (his advisor). If you attempt to contact me or my advisor again, I will not consider your proposal and you will be permanently blackballed. That means only one contact to my advisor and then you wait by your phone.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                              I would add this:

3. Put your proposal in writing and send to (his advisor). If you attempt to contact me or my advisor again, I will not consider your proposal and you will be permanently blackballed. That means only one contact to my advisor and then you wait by your phone.
                              Good idea.

Winner is such a small town, relatively speaking, that it's a good bet that some people will not bother to call and just show up... I bet law enforcement there has had discussions about what to look out for.

Comment

In small towns they look out for each other pretty well i think.

Comment

Working...
                                X