Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SD's Sports Mount Rushmore

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    I agree Sparky should be one of the top four, but Tony Larussa has also won WS titles in both leagues.
    Thanks for the correction. I heard it on a radio show this morning so they didn't have their facts straight. I was just nice enough to pass on bad info.

It's all good!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Mt. Rushmore of sports?

Is ESPN doing a state by state Mt. Rushmore of sports? I know SD wouldn't crack the top 40, but the few we have we are very proud of. So what is your Mt. Rushmore of sports for the Mt. Rushmore state?

Comment

Re: Mt. Rushmore of sports?

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
        Is ESPN doing a state by state Mt. Rushmore of sports? I know SD wouldn't crack the top 40, but the few we have we are very proud of. So what is your Mt. Rushmore of sports for the Mt. Rushmore state?
        Threads merged and moved to "Around South Dakota."
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
          I think you guys are forgetting Josh Mueller and Louie Krogman. Easily the two best basketball players ever in SD.
          These two guys could not hold Eric Kline's jock! You are such a homer! Can name a dozen better players than those two in the state of South Dakota!

Comment

I came up with these with out much thought!

Sparky Andersion

Adam Vintieri

Randy Lewis or Billy Mills

Pat O'Brien

Comment

Garney Henley.

Wikipedia article.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Becky Hammon's would also deserve something, since she has played in the Olympics too!

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
                  Becky Hammon's would also deserve something, since she has played in the Olympics too!
                  Yup. Good point.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    Garney Henley.

Wikipedia article.
                    Henley played in the 1952 state B high school tourney as a freshman, Jim Marking was his coach at Hayti. He enrolled at SDSU, but left after one week. He was overwhelmed so the unoffical stories go and left for the much smaller Huron College.

Comment

Josh Mueller once looked into a pool of water and saw his own image and fell in love with himself. Becky Hammond over Josh Mueller any day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Josh Mueller once looked into a pool of water and saw his own image and fell in love with himself. Becky Hammond over Josh Mueller any day of the week.
                        My point being that Garney Henley trumps Mueller any day of the week and twice on Sunday, by any objective standard.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Henley played in the 1952 state B high school tourney as a freshman, Jim Marking was his coach at Hayti.
                          Darn good town he came from.

Comment

I watched Mueller in college several times. In my opinion, he was a very good, tenancious player. I think I commented before he was the type of player opposing teams hated but many would like to have on their roster. That said, there is no way he ranks in the top five or even the top 10 outstanding players at USD, let alone the "Mt. Rushmore" of sports in the state. Along with the good, he had a lot of bad (I saw him exhibit very poor sportsmanship more than once...maybe he wasn't the worst example of poor sportsmanship but he certainly was an example of poor sportsmanship by any measure.)

Garney Henley and Mueller shouldn't be talked about in the same paragraph. Mueller couldn't carry Henley's sweatsocks.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              My point being that Garney Henley trumps Mueller any day of the week and twice on Sunday, by any objective standard.
                              I will give Mr. Mueller something for his skills, but not equal to Garney and that we can agree, but I dont think Garney was in love with himself like Mueller was. Thats just my opinion, I thought Mueller was better at Narcissism, than basketball. Unfortuately most coaches have never figured out how to work this skill into a team sport.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                I watched Mueller in college several times. In my opinion, he was a very good, tenancious player. I think I commented before he was the type of player opposing teams hated but many would like to have on their roster. That said, there is no way he ranks in the top five or even the top 10 outstanding players at USD, let alone the "Mt. Rushmore" of sports in the state. Along with the good, he had a lot of bad (I saw him exhibit very poor sportsmanship more than once...maybe he wasn't the worst example of poor sportsmanship but he certainly was an example of poor sportsmanship by any measure.)

Garney Henley and Mueller shouldn't be talked about in the same paragraph. Mueller couldn't carry Henley's sweatsocks.
                                JackJD

You are on to something here. I dont know who rents more space in my mind Stu Whitney or Josh Mueller. Until this thread got started, I thought I had evicted Mr. Mueller. Seriously though, you have a point, and that is he was the kind of player everyone hated. I dont know if Mike ever had a campus visit at SDSU, but suspect that he did.

While doing field work at electric coop in western Nebraska for my job that I retired from, I recall one of the workers who had ties to the Black Hills told me about the SD state tourney in Rapid City that he had taken a few days off to attend. He went on to tell about how he was so offended by one player's body language and lack of sportsmanship. What really irriated him was his dad was the coach and did nothing to stop this bad behavior. Guess who he was complaining about? The Muellers!!! At that point in time I had no knowledge of Mr. Mueller.
                                Last edited by Nidaros; 02-22-2009, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X