Clear All

Re: PETA petitions Spearfish school to change name to Sea Kitten High

An interesting site.

vegetariansareevil.com

Comment

PETA Offers Spearfish Students Its T-Shirts

Published: Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:25 AM CST
      SPEARFISH (AP) — The group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has sent its own T-shirts for a fund raiser started by Spearfish High School students after PETA suggested the school change its name to Sea Kitten High School.

The new name would “reflect the gentle nature of its current marine namesake,” the organization said in its first letter to the school.

Last week, students and parents sold T-shirts that read “Spearfish Sea Kittens on a stick since 1976,” on the front. The back read, “Hey PETA, we are Spearfish High School, Always have been always will be.”

On Wednesday, PETA said it sent its own style of T-shirt to the school.

“After learning that Spearfish High School students are attempting to raise money by selling T-shirts that poke fun at PETA’s request to change the school’s name to Sea Kitten High School, the animal rights group has sent two dozen of its own Save the Sea Kittens shirts to Principal Steve Morford.

“PETA is urging the principal to offer the shirts as an alternative for students who are sympathetic to PETA’s cause,” a press release stated.

Students have sold about 240 of their shirts and have another 125 on order. Proceeds will be used to put an emblem of the school’s mascot — a Spartan head — on the sidewalk in front of the gymnasium.

Comment

I love it! I've contacted the school and requested a shirt.

Comment

I think the other night while watching adult swim, I think family guy was on. On of the commercials adult swim runs in all black with white lettering in the middle of the screen was on, mentioning the very same story about spearfish and sea kittens. it was funny. Though I should share that.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            I think the other night while watching adult swim, I think family guy was on. On of the commercials adult swim runs in all black with white lettering in the middle of the screen was on, mentioning the very same story about spearfish and sea kittens. it was funny. Though I should share that.
            I saw that to, it went something like "that makes them hungry for "land fish" which is what they now want to petition cats to be called."

I'm all for calling cats "land fish", especially if they would let me snag some of them. I'm thinking that could be fun. Bait some "land fish" in with some "sea kitten" meat and start casting and reeling!
            Last edited by jackmd; 01-23-2009, 01:17 PM.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              I saw that to, it went something like "that makes them hungry for "land fish" which is what they now want to petition cats to be called." I

'm all for calling cats "land fish", especially if they would only let me snag some of them. I'm thinking that could be fun. Bait some "land fish" in with some "sea kitten" meat and start casting and reeling!
              [threaddrift]
              Once upon a time I had a friend from Nowhere, Louisiana. We were talking about childhood redneck things that we did for fun. He told about how he and friends would take a case of beer out into the swamp and "go fishing for alligators". Yeah, big fun... They'd spend a mint on the strongest fishing poles and lines they could find and load up on those big 'drag lures' with a bunch of godzilla-sized treblehooks. Sit on the bank, cast, and drag through those spots they though their prey would be. "Isn't that a little illegal?" He just shrugged his shoulders: "I dunno. Sho was damned exciting, though."

Oh yeah, this thread is worthless without a PETA pic... [/threaddrift]

Comment

Working...
              X