Sam Ostarello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sam Ostarello

Any one for a piece of raw rhubarb? I like mine raw with a salt shaker handy.

Guy Hunter is apparently a SDSU alum and AD at Stanley County High School. He works with a fine young athlete who appears to be headed to Brookings, but instead is now headed to Purdue. We hope this is the best choice for Ms. Ostarello. As far as Mr. Hunter, it almost appears that the 16 hour ride to West Lafeyette, Indiana was his first trip out of state. I do think he could have been more neutral, and where were the parents? If Purdue picked up the visit travel costs why did the parents not go? Why did Mr. Hunter do the driving? Some of these details seem a little unusual.

I suspect that no one in the SDSU community will be nominating Mr. Hunter for a Distinguished Alumni Award anytime soon.

On the other hand, I think we should be gratiful for all of our alums who are in secondary education throughout the state, and their influence in steering their students to SDSU whether they are super athletically inclined or not. I dont think Mr. Hunter or any other SDSU grad has an unquestionable loyality requirement attached to their degree. I might have to go to my safety deposit box and look at my degree from SDSU as I did not see one when it was place in the box a while back.

My point is that Mr. Hunter will now be very unpopular with a lot of people at SDSU, but again, he is not on the SDSU payroll with a quota of students to recruit. Mr. Hunter is on the payroll of Stanley County School District and if he turned in a travel expense claim for Ms Ostarello and himself for their trip to West Lafeyette, then he is a real problem to the taxpayers and school board of Stanley County. He is not my problem. In fact since I don't know him or have met him, I feel like giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I live in a small community near Brookings and live next door to the school prinicpal. Its tough to be a teacher or an adminstrator these days, as my neighbor had her home vandalized with spray paint. My home was not touched. So the vandals had a definite target in mind. So maybe Mr. Hunter needs to be given some benefit of doubt.

I agree with Super Bunny. If things do not work out at Purdue, then Sam knows the way back to SD and she will be welcomed back at SDSU. I dont think that door is closed despite the influence of Guy Hunter.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 07-07-2008, 11:51 PM.

Comment

A young lady from South Dakota made a decision to attend a large university in a state far, far away at which she will get to do and see things that thousands of her South Dakota peers will never experience. Whether influenced by the AD or not, she has made a decision that will provide her with GREAT life experiences that many within the state, young and old, can only imagine. GOOD FOR YOU SAM...ENJOY PURDUE AND COME HOME WHEN YOU CAN TO TELL OTHERS OF YOUR JOURNEY.

If only everyone had such opportunity...
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

It's nice that Ostarello is going to a "major" program, but frankly, I really don't care. I care more about how our Jackrabbits play. She doesn't want to be a Jackrabbit, no skin off my nose. We have enough good talent that wants to come here.
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
          A young lady from South Dakota made a decision to attend a large university in a state far, far away at which she will get to do and see things that thousands of her South Dakota peers will never experience. Whether influenced by the AD or not, she has made a decision that will provide her with GREAT life experiences that many within the state, young and old, can only imagine. GOOD FOR YOU SAM...ENJOY PURDUE AND COME HOME WHEN YOU CAN TO TELL OTHERS OF YOUR JOURNEY.

If only everyone had such opportunity...

crazy talk
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I see both sides of the issue.
            How many times has SDSU been to the Sweet 16 in the last 10 years? It isn't the 6 times Purdue made it. SDSU should win their conference most years. To compare a team that hasn't been to the NCAA Tourney to a Sweet 16 team is a little stretch. SDSU should get there this year and probably win a game or 2 in the next couple years. Sam would help SDSU get further. They are just a step below Purdue at this stage of the game. SDSU is already better than most DI teams but not Purdue.
            I agree she will see more people, places and things at Purdue but you should compare it to SDSU not Stanley County. SDSU is a DI school and she will experience many things at SDSU that she doesn't get to experience at Stanley County, too.
            It would be interesting to see what exactly was included in the trip. I can't see a 16 hour car ride just talking about that. Her parents should have gone with if Purdue paid for the trip. I would like to see where my kid was going to school(even if they didn't pay). You could take a bigger car or just a couple more people. It's not like the AD paid for tickets to fly. I would want my parents to come help me decide. It's tough that she had to give up on her dream. The trip could have changed her mind and him saying it's OK to change your dreams could have happened.
            I hope she decides to come back to SDSU. Most of all, I want her to do what is best for her. She would have helped SDSU become a bigger player in the recruiting world. It isn't every day a 1st year NCAA Tourney team can out recruit a Sweet 16 team.
            I could be off on some of this because I'm just getting to reading the article now.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
              I see both sides of the issue.
              How many times has SDSU been to the Sweet 16 in the last 10 years? It isn't the 6 times Purdue made it. SDSU should win their conference most years. To compare a team that hasn't been to the NCAA Tourney to a Sweet 16 team is a little stretch. SDSU should get there this year and probably win a game or 2 in the next couple years. Sam would help SDSU get further. They are just a step below Purdue at this stage of the game. SDSU is already better than most DI teams but not Purdue.
              I agree she will see more people, places and things at Purdue but you should compare it to SDSU not Stanley County. SDSU is a DI school and she will experience many things at SDSU that she doesn't get to experience at Stanley County, too.
              It would be interesting to see what exactly was included in the trip. I can't see a 16 hour car ride just talking about that. Her parents should have gone with if Purdue paid for the trip. I would like to see where my kid was going to school(even if they didn't pay). You could take a bigger car or just a couple more people. It's not like the AD paid for tickets to fly. I would want my parents to come help me decide. It's tough that she had to give up on her dream. The trip could have changed her mind and him saying it's OK to change your dreams could have happened.
              I hope she decides to come back to SDSU. Most of all, I want her to do what is best for her. She would have helped SDSU become a bigger player in the recruiting world. It isn't every day a 1st year NCAA Tourney team can out recruit a Sweet 16 team.
              I could be off on some of this because I'm just getting to reading the article now.
              Based on the article that Terry wrote, and I tend to believe he was being accurate as possible, Sam Ostarello appears and no doubt she is a very classy person and perhaps has more maturity then her parents. Like 91Jack, I keep wondering where the parents were in this whole decision process. If Guy Hunter has been parenting Sam for the past few years, because the real parents are not interested in what's going on in their daughter's world, then Guy deserves some kind of an award. The fact she is now going to Purdue rather than SDSU does not bother me in the least. I suppose if I had a choice like that, I would probably pick Purdue thinking more doors would open in the job market.

I dont like to dump parents and parenting into one basket, but there are some who are not living up to the task. I noted in a comment to the Argus article, a Sam's pastor attested to her great qualities as a person. Maybe its real blessing that the Pastor and Guy Hunter have been involved and helped the maturity process of Sam develope. This does not always happen and maybe that is why high school prinicpals get their houses teepeed and spray painted.

Comment

Aren't we all reading way too much into all of this?

Purdue is an excellent school with a very strong WBB program. If I was in the same boat as Ms. Ostarello I would certainly go take a look at the school no matter how bad I wanted to go to SDSU. SDSU is an excellent school with an outstanding reputation. If the situation there feels best for Ms. Ostarello then I wish her the best! Come back home if it doesn't work out (i.e., Jill Young) and we will still fulfill your dream of being a Jackrabbit if at all possible.

For me it is exciting that this is the athletes are throwing us into the equation versus other "big name" schools. AJ is winning a lot of those battles and is landing top notch recruits ever year. We will never win them all but we are certainly getting our share right now! Now that transition is over, the programs should only get stronger.

On to the next recruit!

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Thank you SUPERBUNNY! We will continue to be a great team/program.

Look at the recruiting battles AJ has won in the past few years. We are getting very good players.

Comment

I love how people can read a newspaper article and then believe they know every fact and detail about what happenned, who said what, what their parents are like, who influenced who, are they a good athletic director, are they a good person, are they a true supporter of SDSU, etc. All of this based on what they read in a newspaper article. None of you know, all you know is what you read in a newspaper article. The only people who know are the ones who are actually going through it, which is none of the people on this board.

Comment

I listened to the SportsShow this morning. They interviewed Terry V. He said that the AD was the person to "programed" SDSU into her system. She was playing ball and lifting weights to be the next Megan Vogel. After the offer from Purdue he had to "deprogram" her. He pretty much said that Purdue is in the Big 10. Purdue has won a Championship and been to many Final 4's. I hope he can get other players that he can mold into DI talent. The AD is still a big supporter of SDSU but it was just too tough to pass up Purdue.
                      Getting a top 20 player in the country would have been unreal for SDSU. I'm sure there aren't many teams (not from a BCS Conference) that get top 20 talents.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                        I listened to the SportsShow this morning. They interviewed Terry V. He said that the AD was the person to "programed" SDSU into her system. She was playing ball and lifting weights to be the next Megan Vogel. After the offer from Purdue he had to "deprogram" her. He pretty much said that Purdue is in the Big 10. Purdue has won a Championship and been to many Final 4's. I hope he can get other players that he can mold into DI talent. The AD is still a big supporter of SDSU but it was just too tough to pass up Purdue.
                        Getting a top 20 player in the country would have been unreal for SDSU. I'm sure there aren't many teams (not from a BCS Conference) that get top 20 talents.
                        I think that post summarizes it all up and also illustrates how fast a story like this can be blown out of proportion. She has a great opportunity at Purdue but she also is very, very familiar with what is available to her at SDSU if things don't work out for her.

At the risk of redundancy, what is really cool is that student-athletes now have the opportunity to stay in South Dakota and compete at very high levels as where this opportunity wasn't there five years ago. These kids are looking at SDSU in a whole new light. It's in every sport. One of our golfers just won the Minnesota State Amateur. HE IS THE BEST PLAYER IN MINNESOTA! He is also proud to be a Jackrabbit! There are many other examples like that.

Transition is over! We are post season eligible! We are going to find out where teams like our outstanding WBB grade out! It's going to be one of the best years ever to be a Jack fan!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Thanks, 91jack for reporting what you heard on the sports show.

I focused on one particular point from the Terry V article: the influence the AD had on the young person's decision. Would I be complaining if he influenced her to go to SDSU? Heck no! Am I entitled to be a little put off by him convincing her to go to Purdue? Sure! I want the best students and the best athletes to enroll at SDSU! Am I biased? Of course!

I doubt the athlete is thinking "if it doesn't work at Purdue, I can always come back." This year and all the years in the future may prove that with a full roster of great players, there may not be room to "come back".

There are a few coaches in this state who actively lobby against SDSU. There are a few others who quietly lobby against SDSU. Are there coaches (and ADs) who lobby against other schools? I presume there are -- on this issue, I don't care about the other schools.

I don't like what the AD said he did. If I was a coach (and this is why cooler heads are coaches), I'd think about putting put out the word that my team probably wasn't going to be interested in recruiting from that community until the climate was at least neutral.

It's interesting to note that on some threads, rabid football fans berate loyal Jackrabbit fans who won't stand throughout a football game and yell until they're hoarse. On this thread, some suggest the AD who by his own admission, helped turn away an excellent prospect, should be given a pass. I am much more understanding of the guy who shelled out the money to buy a ticket and occupy a seat at the football game while wearing some yellow and blue, even though he may refuse to stand up, than I am for what amounts to active support for the opposition.

Hey, it's a message board...unsupported, unreasonable opinions (mine included) are running rampant!

Go Jacks!

Comment

I was not able to watch the Argus.com video link in the very first post of this thread until today since I only had access to dial up and that takes forever to just load the Argus web page, but at any rate, the video shows she is a neat person, and a very good bb player. I do regret that she is headed to Purdue, but repsect her choices and the reasons for making the choice. I have nothing further to offer except Good Luck and Best Wishes to Ms Ostarello at Purdue University.

Comment

JackJD: You alway have some pretty well thought out and well put posts, but since you made the same suggestion twice, I have to call you on this one.

SDSU is not in any position to start freezing out high schools and their students. That word would get around really fast and would have a HUGE negative effect on recruiting, enrollment, and donations.

Good for Sam! I am looking forward to watching her senior year!

Comment

Collegewatcher, you're right...that's why I'm not a recruiter.

Comment

Working...
                                X