No announcement yet.

Rape Trial (Gilbert found Not Guilty)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rape Trial (Gilbert found Not Guilty)

My reaction was WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I was extremely happy about the verdict.

Comment

I have to say I am happy with the verdict as well. Obviously I only know what I read in the paper but many "date rape" cases I believe should not even be prosecuted in the first place. If there is no struggle at all and the only evidence is someone saying no but not making any effort to stop what's going on, how is this rape? Obviously the jury agreed.

Comment

Not sure exactly what you meant, but no means no and stop means stop.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

*From the Moderator

I see no need to re-try (is that a word) this case on this board. The legal system seems to have run its course, it is time to accept the findings of the jury and move on.

I am tempted to lock this thread but will leave it open for the time being.

Comment

Moving on, and not to be insensitive here, but if Mo is either acquitted or the charges are dropped as I think they will be, what are the chances of him playing again next season? He's supposedly still on campus, I have to think that playing ball again would be one of his goals.

Comment

Originally posted by JackerRabbit
              Moving on, and not to be insensitive here, but if Mo is either acquitted or the charges are dropped as I think they will be, what are the chances of him playing again next season?  He's supposedly still on campus, I have to think that playing ball again would be one of his goals.  
              I've tossed this around in my head as well. Say the charges are drop entirely early next week, is there any chance he could play this year even?

Comment

You are not alone in your thoughts on this. I was thinking the same myself.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Does anybody with more legal knowledge have any idea about Mo's fate now? Is it possible to be convicting of aiding and abetting somebody who was found innocent of a crime? Do the results of Andre's case have anything to do with Mo's trial at all?

Comment

The jury of Saturday Coffee drinkers of which I am a member had the consensus the case against Berte would be dropped. It seems logical since Berte's charges were predicated on Gilberts charges.

I do think there might be student conduct policies to deal with provided Mr. Berte is still a student on campus. The media says he is student, others have told me he was not a student.  I dont know who is correct. Also dont have a clue about student dorm policies, but they might come into play, I dont know. We no longer have a Dean Walder as the long time Dean of Men students, who used to hold court on all those students in the 1960's who got in trouble with the law off campus. I have somewhere an old Terry Woster Column describing what all happend, as he once got caught stealing some Christmas trees from Spies Super Value. You have to read the entire column to get the full jest.

Right now I am of the opinion that Justin Hyde is the best attorney in Brookings. I did not agree with his trial tactics, but they did work in the defendants behalf and you can only say that Esquire Hyde earned his money.

Comment

*From the Moderator

Haldersham, I have asked that we not re-try this case on the board and accept the findings of the folks who were tasked as the jury to look at the fact presented and determine the guilt or innocence of the accused.  

You were not present when the alleged incident took place and you have indicated that you did not attend the trail so I find it difficult to understand how you can presume to know, from the little information presented in the papers or other hearsay sources that you might have, the truth of this matter or how you feel that you can fairly evaluate the performance of the attorneys involved in this case.

You of course are entitled to your opinions.  However, the legal system has done their work and in the end they found the defendent not guilty.  Even if you don't agree with the outcome, I will ask yet again that we not re-try this case on our board and that we move on.   

Comment

So what is a fair comment on this thread? No comment? That a good way to excercise free speech. This is not a Iron Curtain country. As you have said the judical process has been preformed. I suspect I could get a entire transcript of the trial if I wanted to under the freedom information act. So whats the big deal?  I suppose I could post that on the board either. I dont know what is the problem here. Also I gave credit to the defense attorney and that somehow is retrying the trial? Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!

As far as moving, you bet and as I am writing this, I am also working on a letter to the new president. There are some things that are very wrong and I am not going to mince words to the Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                          So what is a fair comment on this thread? No comment? That a good way to excercise free speech. This is not a Iron Curtain country. As you have said the judical process has been preformed. I suspect I could get a entire transcript of the trial if I wanted to under the freedom information act. So whats the big deal? I suppose I could post that on the board either. I dont know what is the problem here. Also I gave credit to the defense attorney and that somehow is retrying the trial? Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!
                          Ah, the "Free speech" argument. I am not the government. "Free speech" has no applicability here on this board. SDSUFans.com's bills are paid for, in total, by me. I have no obligation to provide a platform for anyone else's First Amendment rights.

Having said that, this site is moderated by 89rabbit and myself, using our own personal judgments as to what is appropriate. We attempt to moderate in such a way as to provide a supportive, entertaining, and interesting environment within which to discuss SDSU athletics, and whatever else folks want to discuss, within reason.

Addressing this thread's topic:

I would once again ask all posters to use a rather heaping dose of extra sensitivity when posting on this subject. There will continue to be strong emotions on all sides. Please recognize this both in your posts and in your reaction to other poster's comments here.

I understand why folks want to talk it out, but I would hope that prudence and (again) sensitivity would be in the forefront of people's minds as they post.

I do not believe that an in-depth analysis of the trial and commentary on the lawyers is really what the SDSU community wants to talk about. It's certainly not what I come to this site to read.

I am considering locking this thread but will not do so for now.

Once again, prudence and sensitivity, please.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Dont want to get in any arguments here but Haldersham why would you be writting a letter to the new Prez?  Let the man get here and warm-up a bit before you start telling him what you think is wrong.  I'm sure he is well aware of everything going on.  And by the way, were you not the one that didnt want a new president to come in and be influenced by politics or alumni and their opinions?

You do not agree with things I do or say sometimes and I do not agree with things you say and do sometimes.  But that is our opinions on the situations...just make sure you let the new prez make his own opinions and not stir the pot before it has all of the ingredients added. :-/

Comment

This thread seems to be drifting, so the thread killer is stepping up to do his part. Or maybe 89 or filbert could just lock the thread because this could go on forever and it will be nothing but back and forth bickering about nonesense.
                              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
                              X