Parents not happy about playing time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parents not happy about playing time

Teams I played on won 3 state championships in my high school days. Great times, good fun, I learned a lot. The most important thing I learned was how to be part of a team and take direction from a coach. I didn't always agree with what the coaches had to say but I understood that I was the pupil and they were the instructor. It isn't about what is best for the individual its about the team. That is the mission of high school athletics and what coaches should teach and understand. Any success I have had in life is in most part because of the leadership and instruction provided by my parents, teachers, and coaches especially during my formative years.

Parents or players who can't accept the necessity that the coach have that absolute power need to discuss the issue with the coach and come to and understanding or not participate. No name calling, posturing or whining has to occur. The situation in Duebrook is foolish and embarassing, thats a fact. Blame doesn't need to be placed. Resolution needs to be found and be found quickly.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Ask Tim Trooien. I've said enough.  I was not at the meetings but I do have a very good source.  Read the speak out in Wednesday's Brookings Register.  I would hope Mr. Trooien would run for the school board which I doubt he will because he knows what his chances are.  I would say again he is an embarassment to himself and his family.  When a family has to do separate holidays that tells you how sad this really is.  Tim Trooien is not man enough to carry Darwin Hofer's clipboard.   :-[ :-[

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/70104025

Breaking news: school board wins.

Comment

Finally, reason wins out!

What are the odds that these parents will try to vote out the school board in the next round of elections?
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

They may try, but I believe they are the Vocal minority. They should accept the ruling and get on with life.

Comment

It is sad this ever happened.  The way it sounds it is definitely a vocal minority.  You hear rumors of the number of people in opposition, but in the end it I belive it was only a handful of parents that were upset and pushing the issue.

In the town I currently live in, the City Council voted to vacate a street to enable a local company to expand.  There was a loud vocal minority that was making lots of noise.  They got enough signatures to take the resolution to vote, which as we witnessed during the last general election is easily done in SD.  The community upheld the vacation of the street by 80 plus percent.

The vocal minority will very seldom run for public office.  If they are on a public board, then they lose their freedom to be vocal and critical of the board.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitcoach
                EQguy, so your saying that we should not teach kids for success?  Because teaching a kid how to win and be competitive is FOR SURE a part of life!  Its no different then a kid being in band or chorus.  You want them to have that be their only goal in life....to be a good singer or a good drummer but they sound like crap because they haven't been taught properly and now you have that same kid with shattered dreams because the one thing they wanted isn't possible??

Wow, very inspiring....put your thoughts in motion....your kid wants to grow up to be whatever it is but nobody coaches him to be the best at that so he has to settle workin for the crappy companies with smaller pay because his skills aren't good enough for the top companies!!!  

Now your makin dreams come true EQguy!!!  And life experiences??  come on, is it a great learning experience to be AVERAGE!!!  

EQguy, you probably came from a school that was 6-16 every year and you were satisfied with that!!  And where are you now?
                No response necessary. You have shown me enough about the person that you have become.

I am the father of two and I take full responsibility for teaching my kids to want to be better. Teachers and coaches are merely experiences along the way. What teaches kids to be winners is parents guiding them through these experiences.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
                  [quote author=rabbitcoach link=1167501624/60#67 date=1167888433]EQguy, so your saying that we should not teach kids for success?  Because teaching a kid how to win and be competitive is FOR SURE a part of life!  Its no different then a kid being in band or chorus.  You want them to have that be their only goal in life....to be a good singer or a good drummer but they sound like crap because they haven't been taught properly and now you have that same kid with shattered dreams because the one thing they wanted isn't possible??

Wow, very inspiring....put your thoughts in motion....your kid wants to grow up to be whatever it is but nobody coaches him to be the best at that so he has to settle workin for the crappy companies with smaller pay because his skills aren't good enough for the top companies!!!  

Now your makin dreams come true EQguy!!!  And life experiences??  come on, is it a great learning experience to be AVERAGE!!!  

EQguy, you probably came from a school that was 6-16 every year and you were satisfied with that!!  And where are you now?
                  No response necessary.  You have shown me enough about the person that you have become.

I am the father of two and I take full responsibility for teaching my kids to want to be better.  Teachers and coaches are merely experiences along the way.  What teaches kids to be winners is parents guiding them through these experiences. [/quote]

EQguy, amen to that!

I'm the father of two as well. We all learn from life experiences that are good, bad, and otherwise. What a person does with that experience is where character is built. One of my biggest responsiibilities as a parent is to make sure that my kids learn from each experience and help them down the right path. The rest are experiences.

I keep thinking, thank goodness that South Dakotans rejected Amendment E or it would be possible for each individual school member to be sued personally in this case. South Dakotans don't like being told how to think and they rejected it by a huge margin.

This thread is getting quite stale! Can't we all just get along and root for the kids that play for the Duebrook Dolphins and hope they have a good experience win or lose!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Judge Gienapp acted accordingly and as many have predicted. The older I get the more respect I have for the good logical people in the legal profession. I hope Deubrook can now move on.

Its amazing that the US Constitution allows us to let our emotions run wild and speak our piece even if we are dead wrong.

Comment

Good comment, Haldersham. The foundation for our legal system is largely common sense based on hundreds of years of experience. It isn't about lawyers and judges...they're just the tools we use to get through the system. It's about all of us, collectively, trying to be reasonble and trying to resolve disputes, real or imagined, in a relatively calm way, according to rules. And when a dispute is at the end of the appeal process, we move on, whether we agree or disagree. Deubrook will be fine.

Comment

Duebrook had another imoressive win last night and they showed Coach Hofer on the sidelines on KELO last night.

This team may get better because of all of this crap by taking on an "us against the world" mentality and Hofer may have the last laugh.

It's going to be fun to follow anyway!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Tim Trooien replied in The Brookings Register Weekend edition with a speak out.
                          I wish I could furnish a link, but I read it in the print edition.

His writing was kind of calm and he explained that this issue was not about his son, playing time or player rotation. He said the appeal that the judge considered in December was filed in August of this year. His disagreement was about the board and how their reversed their decision to first not to renew part of Darwin Hofer's contract relating to coaching and then subsequently reversing that decision.

In aftermath, I think the board made one mistake and that is they gave into pressure in the first meeting(April) and apparently agreed to a compromise that would allow Hofer to teach, but not to coach. Possibly, legal representation was not present to consider the options, or it may have been a after thought by counsel.

Since Hofer was tenured, the law appears to me to have been on his side. The school board could not make a decision to not renew his contract without a justified cause. Coaching decisions are within his scope of duties, so its tough to make a case that he violated any policies.

If memory serves me right I think in the late 1970's and early 1980, there were a number of terminated employees who won law suits against their employers for termination. The big reason often as I recall is that the employer had not in writing policy or polices on which to base the termination. After that point employers had no choice but to document incidents and failures to comply with written polices in order to legally terminate an employee. Hofer apparently was never anywhere near this situation, so the school board would have had a bigger legal problem if they had discharged Hofer without cause. It would have been a case that most legal reps would love to have. Its about winning.

Comment

Whats done is done but I don't agree with the statement that the school board made a mistake by buying into the pressure in April. The pressure has been there for 5 years! If they would have cracked wouldn't it have made sense to have cracked early on? They stood their ground for 5 years and your right, they made a huge mistake and for that the school board should be held accountable. Who gets by these days with saying 'oh weren't not renewing' and a week later 'oh crap, we don't have legitimate grounds to do so, so we're renewing'! To me thats a question of ethics and integrity! Although I still don't agree with Hofers coaching ability I will admit now that i agree that he should not have been let go for matters regarding the school boards lack of integrity.

Hofer should be upset himself that the SCHOOL BOARD allowed this! As a school board its their responsibilty to not make such a tough decision unless they are 100% confident they will follow through with it! Right now to me the school board looks like a pack of dogs with their tails between their legs running for the hills. These are grown, adult men and women that for 5 years obviously felt they were doing the right thing and for that I will never buy into any thought that they were pressured.

Comment

What makes Hofer such a bad coach?

Comment

I really don't want to see anyone debating the coaching skills of any high school coaches on this forum. I can't prevent it from happening but I really don't want to see it. It will lead to nothing. Time to lock this thread.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X