Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parents not happy about playing time

Originally posted by rabbitcoach
    theres one parent who could do better but he doesn't have kids in high school...and i'm not asking you to change your opinion. And mitchell, here's a question for you...if you work somewhere, whos your boss?

Is it the guy that pays you?  Thats right it is!  So since the parents live in the school district and pay taxes which funds all the programs, wouldnt the person that FUNDS (or to help you out...PAYS) his salary be the parents?  I think you need to re-think your last comment!
    Have these same parents thought about the what the legal costs of the district are doing in terms of the school district? I read the speak out in tonight's Brookings Register. The writer a White Resident said that the students are collecting bottle caps in order to come up with funds to buy books. What has Tim Troonien done to help this matter? I hope the Judge make Tim Troonien pay for these legal costs as its his tom foolery that has caused the kids to now raise the tax revenue that went to some lawyer defending the school district. Some how Tim Troonien thinks he is the boss.

Comment

Any one in favor of locking this thread? This is getting hard to read!!!

Comment

I'm pretty sure the judge will rule in favor of the school board.  I still believe that the reason he doesn't go to a school where the community will embrace him is because he knows he can't make it at another program let alone be hired!  I just wish he could go back to Waverly where they were happy going 6-16 every year and nobody was mad at anyone!
        I don't think the Judge has much of a decision to make here at all. There's precendent that sides with Coach Hofer and the school board. Sorry, not going to dig it up because I already wasted 15 minutes reading through this dung. Oh, and my opinion is this isn't anything more than a witch hunt. Excatly the reason why many good coaches get out of coaching. Parents want to see the 4 best kids on the floor on their son.

Comment

There are some things you need to understand. I had kids that went to school with Tim Trooien and he has been a real work all his life. He is the one that has stated publicly that the Deubrook District puts to much emphasis on acedemics and not enough on althletics. I know the person they had pickout to be the next coach. He would make Bobby Knight look like a saint. I watched a grade school game that he coached and if I had had a son in that game I would have had him for lunch he was that bad. I love sports and basketball but believe it or not there are some things more important. If you are a person that thinks that Bobby Knight and Bob Huggins are your type of coaches then you are a win at all cost person and we would never be on the same page. If anyone thinks there are more than 20 people behind this fiasco then you are misinformed and that number came from a parent in the district who is in the know. Besides comparing applicants for and job years ago and where they are now is hindsight and you know what that is worth. If the Deubrook District was run by the likes of Tim Trooien there would be kids leaving right and left or they wouldn't have been there to start with.

Comment

To me it comes down to the purpose of High School sports. Do we support sports in schools so that kids can win championships or do we support them so kids can gain valuable life experiences? If the purpose of sports is to win, then they need to start paying coaches to coach and coach only. Until then there are going to be coaches along the way who aren't the best, but that is also part of the experience. I am only assuming that rabbitcoach played for Mr. Hofer and I am also assuming that rabbitcoach is now a coach. It would probably be fair to say that he took the good and the bad from that experience and has now applied it to his coaching. If that is the case then both he and his students have won.

I just don't see the purpose in suing the district. It is only putting undue financial stress on a small district to advance the agenda of some people.
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

I never said there was anything wrong with it being closed doors.
              My last time saying this then i'm done with this! Its not a playing time issue!!!

Read the previous posts' and tell me where you find me saying anything about playing time!

Comment

Originally posted by 38 Jack
                There are some things you need to understand.  I had kids that went to school with Tim Trooien and he has been a real work all his life.  He is the one that has stated publicly that the Deubrook District puts to much emphasis on acedemics and not enough on althletics.  I know the person they had pickout to be the next coach.  He would make Bobby Knight look like a saint.  I watched a grade school game that he coached and if I had had a son in that game I would have had him for lunch he was that bad.  I love sports and basketball but believe it or not there are some things more important.  If you are a person that thinks that Bobby Knight and Bob Huggins are your type of coaches then you are a win at all cost person and we would never be on the same page.  If anyone thinks there are more than 20 people behind this fiasco then you are misinformed and that number came from a parent in the district who is in the know.  Besides comparing applicants for and job years ago and where they are now is hindsight and you know what that is worth.  If the Deubrook District was run by the likes of Tim Trooien there would be kids leaving right and left or they wouldn't have been there to start with.  
                38 Jack, who are you saying would be the replacement?

Comment

EQguy, so your saying that we should not teach kids for success?  Because teaching a kid how to win and be competitive is FOR SURE a part of life!  Its no different then a kid being in band or chorus.  You want them to have that be their only goal in life....to be a good singer or a good drummer but they sound like crap because they haven't been taught properly and now you have that same kid with shattered dreams because the one thing they wanted isn't possible??

Wow, very inspiring....put your thoughts in motion....your kid wants to grow up to be whatever it is but nobody coaches him to be the best at that so he has to settle workin for the crappy companies with smaller pay because his skills aren't good enough for the top companies!!!  

Now your makin dreams come true EQguy!!! And life experiences?? come on, is it a great learning experience to be AVERAGE!!!

EQguy, you probably came from a school that was 6-16 every year and you were satisfied with that!! And where are you now?

Comment

*From the Moderator

rabbitcoach, go easy on your fellow posters and tone it down a little.  You can make your points without the personal attacks.  Please take this as an official warning.

Comment

RabbitCoach: It sounds like you are very passionate about this topic. But after reading everything, I still have the same opinion on the topic "The parents have gone too far". Now I don't know the whole story, but when something like this is taken to court it just sounds absurd. I hope that the Judge rules in favor of the coach, because if the Judge doesn't every (ok not every, but more) disgruntled high school parent will think they can take their issue to court. Now if that happens what person in their right mind will want to coach and teach.

Comment

EQguy, so your saying that we should not teach kids for success?  Because teaching a kid how to win and be competitive is FOR SURE a part of life!  Its no different then a kid being in band or chorus.  You want them to have that be their only goal in life....to be a good singer or a good drummer but they sound like crap because they haven't been taught properly and now you have that same kid with shattered dreams because the one thing they wanted isn't possible??

Wow, very inspiring....put your thoughts in motion....your kid wants to grow up to be whatever it is but nobody coaches him to be the best at that so he has to settle workin for the crappy companies with smaller pay because his skills aren't good enough for the top companies!!!  

Now your makin dreams come true EQguy!!!  And life experiences??  come on, is it a great learning experience to be AVERAGE!!!  

EQguy, you probably came from a school that was 6-16 every year and you were satisfied with that!!  And where are you now?
                        This is too funny.  rabbitcoach probably thinks all the successful people in life won State championships in high school and if you don't win a state high school championship then you are going to do average at your future jobs.  I'm sure all the people running Fortune 500 companies have a high school title under their belt.  Luckily for me I won a couple state titles in high school, so I'm sure to succeed.

I haven't played for Coach Hofer, but I've scouted his teams before and he always gets the most out of the talent he has.

Expect to see this story in a future Sports Illustrated under "This weeks sign the apocalypse is upon us."

Comment

Originally posted by juice
                          This is too funny.  rabbitcoach probably thinks all the successful people in life won State championships in high school and if you don't win a state high school championship then you are going to do average at your future jobs.  I'm sure all the people running Fortune 500 companies have a high school title under their belt.  Luckily for me I won a couple state titles in high school, so I'm sure to succeed.

This is great news for I too have a state championship to my name. I will make sure I call my boss in the morning and let him know. ;D

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                            [quote author=juice link=1167501624/60#70 date=1167890092]  This is too funny.  rabbitcoach probably thinks all the successful people in life won State championships in high school and if you don't win a state high school championship then you are going to do average at your future jobs.  I'm sure all the people running Fortune 500 companies have a high school title under their belt.  Luckily for me I won a couple state titles in high school, so I'm sure to succeed.

This is great news for I too have a state championship to my name.  I will make sure I call my boss in the morning and let him know.   ;D

Go State!  
                            [/quote]

I have won a state championship as well. Am I destined to be more successful since the team I was on went 12-0?

Comment

I should have stopped reading after the first page of this thread.  There's fifteen minutes of my life I won't get back.  

Disgruntled parents appealing a school board's personnel decision because they don't care for a high school basketball coach's coaching?  Unbelievable.  Now the board gets to foot the bill for counsel to defend it against a frivolous appeal in front of Judge Gienapp. Unfortunately, the appeal probably has just the tiniest amount of merit to save the parents from paying the board's attorneys fees.   

By the way, no state championships here.  In fact, we won one football game in my last two years of high school.  Guess I'm doomed to a life in the poorhouse.  

Comment

Yep no athletic championships in my life except a blue ribbon for junior high intramural basketball. I think an experience of a strong positive coach along the way can be helpful in life, but its not mandatory. I believe most people such as Abe Lincoln learn a great deal from failures in the early part of their life. I like to think my life is a little like that, but doubt if I could have been a great President like Abe. I dont know who Abe's coach was, but he pretty much was in control of his life until the fatal end.

If Mr Hofer is a great teacher in the classroom, I think he is an asset to Deubrook. Where on the net can I find his win-loss record?

I really can't believe how rabbitcoach and this renagade group of parents think that there are so many better candidates for the coach out there. Maybe there are some, but I dont think so.

If I were a candidate fresh out of college and had the choice between a third assistant coach at Roosvelt High in Sioux Falls and Deubrook, which do you think I would pick?

Level of pay, cultural setting might be some of the factors that would influence my choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X