Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Arena for Sioux Falls

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    What good does a dome do in Sioux Falls though? I say build a 12,000 basketball arena as part of the existing complex..... Build a football stadium and track that is the right size on the edge of town.
    Sounds OK to me. So long as Howard Wood is gone.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      I was a reporter at The Forum when the FD was built. Seems to me that a 1/2 cent sales tax paid for the FargoDome. Isn't that the case? When people say bonds "paid" for the FD, that's not right. Bonds may build things, but somebody pays off the bonds. I think it was a 1/2 cent sales tax that has done that.

That said, I think Howard Wood is a crummy joke of a dump and ought to be immediately imploded and replaced with something fitting for a metro area of more than 200,000 people. I guess I don't understand why Sanford is getting all kinds of crap for wanting to give $50 million for the thing. I think for $50 million he ought to have his name on it in 50' high letters. Even if it's also branding, it's still philanthropy, and seems to me it would fill a need.

Hey Denny, if Sioux Falls doesn't want your money, we have a really good football team in need of a $50 million Sanford Stadium right up the road in Brookings.
      You are correct the City of Fargo imposed a 1/2 cent sales tax by vote of the people to build the FD and its still in place for repairs, upgrades and the "general" fund. But as stated before this is a hard model to say that SF needs an arena like the FD to attract events, building one that big for 1 Football event a year isn't feasable, thats where NDSU came into play with the City of Fargo. I have to wonder at what expense are the tax payers in SF and surrounding area willing to pay for a 18000 seat arena when the states 2 largest and most followed universities are not in SF? Also no smack intended but SDSU which IS the premier show during the fall in SD doesn't average 16,000 per game why 18,000 in SF?
      BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
        You are correct the City of Fargo imposed a 1/2 cent sales tax by vote of the people to build the FD and its still in place for repairs, upgrades and the "general" fund. But as stated before this is a hard model to say that SF needs an arena like the FD to attract events, building one that big for 1 Football event a year isn't feasable, thats where NDSU came into play with the City of Fargo. I have to wonder at what expense are the tax payers in SF and surrounding area willing to pay for a 18000 seat arena when the states 2 largest and most followed universities are not in SF? Also no smack intended but SDSU which IS the premier show during the fall in SD doesn't average 16,000 per game why 18,000 in SF?
        The people of Sioux Falls are crazy, they think that if they build a 18,000 seat arena that they'll get state football (the dome is half full for most of the games in V-town).. They'll get a SDSU game a year and a USD game a year and then a USD-SDSU game a year...

The problem is even if they get all of that stuff which I don't think they will it would still be hard to justify. I don't see SDSU which can hold 16,000+ on campus move a game too Sioux Falls unless they had to.. USD maybe but still why would you want to give away your home games in football?

Maybe Sioux Falls wants to continue to have Elton John concerts... because thats pretty much the only show they've had in countless years.

The way I look at it is Sioux Falls has a very successful Dleague team in the Skyforce a good USHL team in the Stampede and they have the Storm. they also have 2 area college teams that use the arena from time to time..... None of those franchises are going to want to play in a 18,000 seat dome.......

Augie and USF have there own football field. SF Christian and O'Gorman don't use Howard Wood so I think Sioux Falls would be crazy to build something for 3 high schools, maybe 3 college games and a dozen concerts is just stupid but that is me.....

But hey its Sioux Falls where talking about.... they'll probably build it....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          The people of Sioux Falls are crazy, they think that if they build a 18,000 seat arena that they'll get state football (the dome is half full for most of the games in V-town).. They'll get a SDSU game a year and a USD game a year and then a USD-SDSU game a year...

The problem is even if they get all of that stuff which I don't think they will it would still be hard to justify. I don't see SDSU which can hold 16,000+ on campus move a game too Sioux Falls unless they had to.. USD maybe but still why would you want to give away your home games in football?

Maybe Sioux Falls wants to continue to have Elton John concerts... because thats pretty much the only show they've had in countless years.

The way I look at it is Sioux Falls has a very successful Dleague team in the Skyforce a good USHL team in the Stampede and they have the Storm. they also have 2 area college teams that use the arena from time to time..... None of those franchises are going to want to play in a 18,000 seat dome.......

Augie and USF have there own football field. SF Christian and O'Gorman don't use Howard Wood so I think Sioux Falls would be crazy to build something for 3 high schools, maybe 3 college games and a dozen concerts is just stupid but that is me.....

But hey its Sioux Falls where talking about.... they'll probably build it....
          If I were a SDSU fan I WOULD NOT LIKE THIS AT ALL!! No way would I argee to playing the in-state Rival game at a neutral location! I couldn't imagine the first USD-SDSU game not in Brookings, or Playing the first UND-NDSU game in say Bismarck, thats serious revenue for the hosting school and city. It sounds like SF is trying to capitalize from the universities, keep the money in Brookings and Vermillion! IMO
          BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

If I were a SDSU fan I WOULD NOT LIKE THIS AT ALL!! No way would I argee to playing the in-state Rival game at a neutral location! I couldn't imagine the first USD-SDSU game not in Brookings, or Playing the first UND-NDSU game in say Bismarck, thats serious revenue for the hosting school and city. It sounds like SF is trying to capitalize from the universities, keep the money in Brookings and Vermillion! IMO
            Agreed, I was never a fan of SDSU playing games in Sioux Falls, takes away the students for sure and possibly some local fans that don't want to drive to Brookings. If I remember correctly, I don't think they had a huge crowd when they did this but I could be wrong.

Comment

As a person living and voting in Sioux Falls, i would not support a domed stadium. It's just not needed. It would maybe be used 30-40 times a year. What the city needs is a new arena that would seat 12000-14000 and be able to be expanded if needed. I would love to see it downtown but i really dont care where they put it. The city just needs to get it done. If the stanford folks want to pay for a new dome let them pay for the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks nl View Post
                As a person living and voting in Sioux Falls, i would not support a domed stadium. It's just not needed. It would maybe be used 30-40 times a year. What the city needs is a new arena that would seat 12000-14000 and be able to be expanded if needed. I would love to see it downtown but i really dont care where they put it. The city just needs to get it done. If the stanford folks want to pay for a new dome let them pay for the whole thing.
                Your thinking more of BB and Hockey type arena, and not football? and I would say most people in SF would go for a 10-14 BBall arena over a FB facility just due to SF not having a Marquee FB team or am I wrong!

I'm intersted when cities build arenas to see how people react elswhere as I know how Fargo has dealt with this many times!

Here is the new one just opened in Oct. for the USHL team and High Schoole hockey Fargo North and Fargo South High, very nice facility!

http://www.upfargo.com/up_center.html
                BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Rapid City also just opened a new ice arena which is part of the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center Complex. I haven't been there yet. I haven't located any on-line pictures of the arena. I understand that it is also a very nice facility. It has fewer suites/luxury boxes than the Fargo counterpart. The Rapid City suites were sold out about 6 months before the building opened.
                  Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                    Rapid City also just opened a new ice arena which is part of the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center Complex. I haven't been there yet. I haven't located any on-line pictures of the arena. I understand that it is also a very nice facility. It has fewer suites/luxury boxes than the Fargo counterpart. The Rapid City suites were sold out about 6 months before the building opened.
                    What team is playing in there and what league are they in?
                    BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Your thinking more of BB and Hockey type arena, and not football? and I would say most people in SF would go for a 10-14 BBall arena over a FB facility just due to SF not having a Marquee FB team or am I wrong!

I'm intersted when cities build arenas to see how people react elswhere as I know how Fargo has dealt with this many times!

Here is the new one just opened in Oct. for the USHL team and High Schoole hockey Fargo North and Fargo South High, very nice facility!

http://www.upfargo.com/up_center.html
                      Yes i hear fargo has a nice place. Well augie and usf have or will soon have there own football fields and about the only time Howard Wood is filled up is when ogorman has its presidents bowl there. So the school board would be smart to use the money to build a new football field that needs to seat around 6-7 thousand. While the Arean is old and outdated. I know the city is using about 7 million for some new seats, new scoreboard and other repairs over the next five years. Its just a band-aid for an areana that was out dated in the 90's. I would like to see the total cost of both the dome and a new arena. But something needs to be done.

Comment

What team is playing in there and what league are they in?
                        They are called the Rapid City Rush and play in the Central Hockey League. Very nice facility up there in Fargo, looks like a good place to watch hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                          They are called the Rapid City Rush and play in the Central Hockey League. Very nice facility up there in Fargo, looks like a good place to watch hockey.

I don't know what its like to watch a game there, never been , not a Hockey fan at all!
                          BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by jacks nl View Post
                            Yes i hear fargo has a nice place. Well augie and usf have or will soon have there own football fields and about the only time Howard Wood is filled up is when ogorman has its presidents bowl there. So the school board would be smart to use the money to build a new football field that needs to seat around 6-7 thousand. While the Arean is old and outdated. I know the city is using about 7 million for some new seats, new scoreboard and other repairs over the next five years. Its just a band-aid for an areana that was out dated in the 90's. I would like to see the total cost of both the dome and a new arena. But something needs to be done.
                            Its Orgorman with the Dakota bowl and the 3 SF schools who host the Presidents bowl. they are the biggest fundraising events for both Ogorman and SF schools. usually always sold out. I think wood field is fine. Rebuilding the arena with enough seats would be the best option and best location. I would like a downtown location but I think that would be voted down, I say leave wood field and make a few updates and build a new arena where its at. I would vote for that and for an increase in sales tax to cover even with out sanfords money. If they want a dome let um build it out on their land with Dennys money. What they are trying to push on SF is not what most people would vote for or want. Even Stu Whitney would agree that their idea is not what the public is interested in.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              Its Orgorman with the Dakota bowl and the 3 SF schools who host the Presidents bowl. they are the biggest fundraising events for both Ogorman and SF schools. usually always sold out. I think wood field is fine. Rebuilding the arena with enough seats would be the best option and best location. I would like a downtown location but I think that would be voted down, I say leave wood field and make a few updates and build a new arena where its at. I would vote for that and for an increase in sales tax to cover even with out sanfords money. If they want a dome let um build it out on their land with Dennys money. What they are trying to push on SF is not what most people would vote for or want. Even Stu Whitney would agree that their idea is not what the public is interested in.
                              I think Stu has disagreed with the idea the whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                                I think Stu has disagreed with the idea the whole time.
                                Just because Stu doesn't agree with the Events Center proposal, gives me one more reason to think it's the right way to go.

BTW...if you all haven't noticed, Stu disagree's with everything that might bring SF/SD into the 21st century. As Jackrabbit fans I'm sure you've all noticed.

Go Jacks!!
                                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                                X