Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Arena for Sioux Falls

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
    I agree, but the Sioux Falls Sports Authority will likely make a strong effort for the new Coliseum to host a SDSU-USD game. If the facility does get built, any hypothetical offer to play USD should be a Brookings-Sioux Falls arrangement.
    I reluctantly agree. With Dana Dykhouse on the authority, it would be difficult to say no. Still, don't want to play them...

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
      I reluctantly agree. With Dana Dykhouse on the authority, it would be difficult to say no. Still, don't want to play them...
      Indeed...money will be THE reason we ever play USD again.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        High School championships are not that big event that people make it out to be. even though 12 teams come I would be that the economic impact is less then a quarter of state basketball or football.
        Don't kid yourself. Having 12 football teams (6 nine-man, 6 11-man), along with fans and parents from each school, along with meals and shopping, would make a TREMENDOUS economic impact in Sioux Falls. It's more than basketball because you only get eight teams going to any given site, though it is a full Thursday-Saturday weekend deal. And again, not the Sioux Falls public schools (yes, three, I added O'Gorman) would need a place to play. They OWN Howard Wood, why should they give it up and then have to PAY to play on someone else's field? That makes no fiscal sense.

As for 14,000 holding a SDSU-USD game, yes, that's a good target number. It makes tickets at a premium if it's inside, because you can't add seating to expand. Simple supply and demand means you could raise the price of tickets, ergo, making more money for both schools when they do play again. And I hate to say it, but you'll never get it to be a Brookings-Sioux Falls arrangement. Maybe Brookings-Vermillion-Sioux Falls when both schools are D-I, or every year in Sioux Falls with split revenue, but the no travel to Vermillion argument is moot when both schools are in the same classification.

Climate-wise, this dome stadium makes sense. But again, it can't be viewed as a rush job by the public if it's going to be accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by sfsd View Post
          Don't kid yourself. Having 12 football teams (6 nine-man, 6 11-man), along with fans and parents from each school, along with meals and shopping, would make a TREMENDOUS economic impact in Sioux Falls. It's more than basketball because you only get eight teams going to any given site, though it is a full Thursday-Saturday weekend deal. And again, not the Sioux Falls public schools (yes, three, I added O'Gorman) would need a place to play. They OWN Howard Wood, why should they give it up and then have to PAY to play on someone else's field? That makes no fiscal sense.

As for 14,000 holding a SDSU-USD game, yes, that's a good target number. It makes tickets at a premium if it's inside, because you can't add seating to expand. Simple supply and demand means you could raise the price of tickets, ergo, making more money for both schools when they do play again. And I hate to say it, but you'll never get it to be a Brookings-Sioux Falls arrangement. Maybe Brookings-Vermillion-Sioux Falls when both schools are D-I, or every year in Sioux Falls with split revenue, but the no travel to Vermillion argument is moot when both schools are in the same classification.

Climate-wise, this dome stadium makes sense. But again, it can't be viewed as a rush job by the public if it's going to be accepted.
          Football championships.... you get there you go to the game you eat maybe you shop for a bit and go home ya there is 12 schools but still
          Basketball... you get there possibly a day early depending on where you are from, you play one game a day for 3 days there is built in breaks, you have to spend the night you have to eat something that you don't have to do for football....
          O'Gorman is ran by the Catholic church which owns Macanany (sp) field...
          I really don't know why USD or SDSU would want to play the game in Sioux Falls, a home and home would work better for both, and they would get a HOME GAME out of the deal and I don't see SDSU playing USD unless it is a home game for a while. SDSU would kill in a home and home they would sell 16,000 tickets and it would cost them next to nothing to travel down to Vermillion. The main point I see is with SDSU pledging for money for renovations I don't see them moving home games or playing games in Sioux Falls it just doesn't make sense. You play games at home unless its totally not possible. SDSU will be a common top 25 team in the years and will be able to schedule good solid teams.... In an 11 game schedule they will have 8 conference games and 1 guarantee game and they have Cal Poly, Cal Davis in the Great West that will be looked at for 1 of those games and I see Georgia Southern, McNeese State, and Central Arkansas vying for the other one. Those are the teams that helped us up and I would rather see the SDSU get good games against teams like that then play a neutral game at Sioux Falls.

Comment

Just a thought.

If this thing (A dome in Sioux Falls) goes through how about a Big Sioux Shootout or something to that effect. Everyone is complaining about attendance and if something like this was hyped all year to be a showdown in Sioux Falls, people may come to check out the product beforehand. Also, spin it anyway you want, but add the average attendance to USD game and SDSU games and I think that would be a pretty good gate. The only problem would be when. With our new conference and budding rivalry with the Bison when would be a good time to play the game?

Unlike most on the board I have no problems with the Jacks beating up on the U every year. As far as I can tell the majority of the cheap crap went on at basketball games anyway.

Comment

Any arena to be built will have to have state-of-the-art broadcasting facilities because the NBDL is shown on NBA TV. This would be one reason for either USD or SDSU to play there, as the setup for televising their games could be handled much easier than flying TV equipment into SF and trucking it to Vermillion or Brookings.

Comment

Any arena to be built will have to have state-of-the-art broadcasting facilities because the NBDL is shown on NBA TV. This would be one reason for either USD or SDSU to play there, as the setup for televising their games could be handled much easier than flying TV equipment into SF and trucking it to Vermillion or Brookings.
                If i was the skyforce if possible i would continue playing in the existing arena..... having 5,000 in a 7,000 seat arena is a lot better and cheaper then having 5,000 in a 14-20,000 seat arena. I think when SDSU gets established with game contracts and figures some things out that they will have a majaority of there home games on television.

Comment

If it's not built for regulation football, then it really doesn't benefit the whole of the community -- Sioux Falls AND the state -- as much as keeping and fixing Howard Wood. Arena football has failed how many times in Sioux Falls already? Indoor football is in its third or fourth incarnation, with the Cobras and Renegades having folded, and it's unstable seeing as how many leagues have folded since the Storm came into existence. To build a venue based around this fringe sport is incredibly short-sighted (how are the Canaries drawing these days since the Northern League/American Association has lost its draw for big-name players). The goal should be landing the high school football championships, which is a MAJOR revenue generator for the community, not lining Ted Thoms' pockets.

The goal should be to build a venue that can be converted for hoops and football. To host a Summit League tournament or a Gateway or Great West championship football game. USD and SDSU going Division I should be the driving factor to building this, not a fourth-tier indoor football fad. The Skyforce/NBDL also is the only real minor league in town, so that should be a third consideration after the universities and high schools, followed by the Stampede, followed by the Storm.
                  I'm not a fan of Arena Football, but the Storm are doing a little better than you give them credit and are more popular than a Jacks game in early November. The new venue will house all of the minor league sports in Sioux Falls. I really hope this is not a Football ready venue, because it makes it a less than desirable Basketball facility see the Fargo Dome, Metro Dome and Dakota Dome as examples. I think Augie and the USF stadiums can more than handle the local high schools!

Comment

If a new facility was large enough, it could potentially host an NCAA Basketball Regional. I'm not sure what the requirements are, but just a thought.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Sioux Falls would MAYBE get consideration for 1st and 2nd round games, but not a regional. Omaha had to build the Qwest Center before it got considered for a regional and now they are hosting one this coming March. The Qwest Center holds 23,000+ and the discussion we are having here is far from that.

EDIT: Actually, Omaha might only be hosting 1st & 2nd round games now that I think about it. Anyone else know for sure?
                      Last edited by BTownJack; 11-13-2007, 05:05 PM. Reason: Stated within post

Comment

I apologize, that's what I meant to say. 1st and 2nd round games, not Sweet 16 events, and most likely Women's. Maybe?
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

If it's not built for regulation football, then it really doesn't benefit the whole of the community -- Sioux Falls AND the state -- as much as keeping and fixing Howard Wood. Arena football has failed how many times in Sioux Falls already? Indoor football is in its third or fourth incarnation, with the Cobras and Renegades having folded, and it's unstable seeing as how many leagues have folded since the Storm came into existence. To build a venue based around this fringe sport is incredibly short-sighted (how are the Canaries drawing these days since the Northern League/American Association has lost its draw for big-name players). The goal should be landing the high school football championships, which is a MAJOR revenue generator for the community, not lining Ted Thoms' pockets.

The goal should be to build a venue that can be converted for hoops and football. To host a Summit League tournament or a Gateway or Great West championship football game. USD and SDSU going Division I should be the driving factor to building this, not a fourth-tier indoor football fad. The Skyforce/NBDL also is the only real minor league in town, so that should be a third consideration after the universities and high schools, followed by the Stampede, followed by the Storm.
                          Wow. First, Ted Thoms has not owned the Sioux Falls Storm for 5 years. Second, indoor football failed one time in Sioux Falls, and that was when they had out of town owners. As a matter of fact, when the Storm saw what was happening with the league they were in a couple of years ago, they got a bunch of people together and formed their own league, which is very stable. The Storm is now owned by one of the richest families in the state not named Stanford. Third, the Canaries have set records for attendance the last two seasons.

So building a facility for the SDSU and USD, neither of which are in Sioux Falls, should be a priority? Again, wow. There were a heck of a lot of folks that own businesses in Brookings that have supported the Jacks for years that were not happy that SDSU took the Cal/Davis game out of town! Now you want to piss them off on a regular basis? How about if USD and SDSU just alternate weekends hosting games in Sioux Falls?

The plans now call for the new facility to host football games. That could change, as could all of this. But this is the reason they got the school district involved in the first place. They own the land, and would turn that over in return for not paying rent for the facility.The plans also call for the current Arena to do some remodeling so that facility will be better for indoor football and hockey. You do not have to maintain the flexibility of that building that you need now.

Comment

Krabbenhoft and Dykhouse were on 1140 KSOO talking about the events center. The plans are to make it large enough to hold high school football games and assorted championships and hopefully(their words not mine) a yearly matchup between the two state D-I schools.
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post
                              Wow. First, Ted Thoms has not owned the Sioux Falls Storm for 5 years. Second, indoor football failed one time in Sioux Falls, and that was when they had out of town owners. As a matter of fact, when the Storm saw what was happening with the league they were in a couple of years ago, they got a bunch of people together and formed their own league, which is very stable. The Storm is now owned by one of the richest families in the state not named Stanford. Third, the Canaries have set records for attendance the last two seasons.

So building a facility for the SDSU and USD, neither of which are in Sioux Falls, should be a priority? Again, wow. There were a heck of a lot of folks that own businesses in Brookings that have supported the Jacks for years that were not happy that SDSU took the Cal/Davis game out of town! Now you want to piss them off on a regular basis? How about if USD and SDSU just alternate weekends hosting games in Sioux Falls?

The plans now call for the new facility to host football games. That could change, as could all of this. But this is the reason they got the school district involved in the first place. They own the land, and would turn that over in return for not paying rent for the facility.The plans also call for the current Arena to do some remodeling so that facility will be better for indoor football and hockey. You do not have to maintain the flexibility of that building that you need now.
                              Perhaps I was a bit harsh on wording about the Storm, especially the Thoms part (forgot Vukurevich bought him out), but honestly, no one outside of Sioux Falls cares about it on a broader scale. NO ONE. Stable league after four tries or not, it's at best a niche sport on the larger landscape and a place for people to go and drink and watch the controled violence (like dirt track auto racing). And the American Association baseball is garbage compared to what the Northern League, in its heyday, put on the field. Regardless of attendance, it's gone from Double or Triple A equivilant to virtually summer league college ball. Frankly, neither the Storm nor the Canaries hold any merit on a national sports landscape compared to the Skyforce and Stampede, which actually produce athletes who go onto the largest professional stage in their respective sports.

And yes, Sioux Falls ABSOLUTELY needs SDSU and USD to be part of this new facility. For travel and accomodations, no Division I conference basketball tournament would go to either Brookings or Vermillion. They're too small and do not have the type of facilities for a conference's marquee event. Hosting a Summit League tournament or Big Sky or whatever conference in Division I and having games on ESPN, ESPN2, CSTV, Fox Sports or any satellite network covering major college athletics brings more exposure to Sioux Falls than any ultra-minor indoor football team. And the Cal Davis game was moved to SF because SDSU had seven home games that year and it was feasible -- it was never to be an every-year thing.

If the city wants to get on the national landscape and distinguish itself from Sioux City (and don't kid yourself, America at large doesn't know the difference), it needs to focus on Division I sports and trying to lure a professional football team's training camp. Krabbenhoft's vision with that was very forward-thinking, but rushed planning hurt them. But ESPN would have had reports from Sioux Falls every day with that, ending with "From Sioux Falls South Dakota, Ed Werder, ESPN." THAT carries weight and is some of what lures the type of businesses and new residents the city wants.
                              Last edited by sfsd; 11-14-2007, 12:31 AM.

Comment

College basketball games are the reason to build a BASKETBALL facility.... With football though do you honestly think that SDSU would want to give up a home game or USD give up a home game? SDSU is planning on putting big time bucks into there stadium how are they going to be able to get donors when they plan on playing 1 of there home games or there late games in Sioux Falls? As far as basketball you are right they need a basketball facility in which the Stampede and an indoor team would play in (indoor football is liked through out the state I see a lot of storm merchandise throughout the state) The baseball stadium is great the Canaries are in a pretty crappy league but they run that stadium well, they have the State tournament there at times they have amateur games they have a couple of college games they have concerts they run that stadium to a profit and that stadium will get them an affiliated team (hopefully sooner rather then later) I don't know of any good example for building a football/basketball facility... I don't know of one good example of when they played basketball in a football stadium it just doesn't work because you have 2 big of a basketball facility and 2 small of a football facility its the facts.
                                Sioux Falls could have the Summit League tournament forever if they build a 14,000 seat basketball stadium but if they go much bigger then that it becomes hard to turn a profit....

Comment

Working...
                                X