New Arena for Sioux Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Arena for Sioux Falls

I think JB22 summed up the arguments that will be made against a FargoDome type of facility. The job of the proponents will be to counter those arguments. I think the one (counter-argument) that most people in Sioux Falls agree with is if we don't do something now, in 10-15 years we will be in the same place we are now.

From the discussions that I have had with my fellow citizens is that they voted down the previous projects because they felt they were poorly planned out, not because they weren't willing to pay for them. I haven't had a chance to read the article very closely yet, so I don't want to comment on this specific plan until I know more. Was it announced that the facility they wanted to build was like the Fargo Dome or that the financing was going to be structured like the Fargo Dome?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      I think the problem with concerts is they never get anybody good to show up,
      Boy, is Elton John going to be chapped when he reads this!
      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
        Elton John sold out in like 19 minutes and is the first big name they have gotten in a long time, out here in the hills they get big names all the time... it just seems like the only concerts I here about are the ones at the sioux empire fair....

Comment

Was it announced that the facility they wanted to build was like the Fargo Dome or that the financing was going to be structured like the Fargo Dome?[/QUOTE]

Thats where I get confused.... From what I understand it would be financed like it but it says Indoor Football so do they mean dome football or do they mean Storm football when I read the argus it sounded like Storm football but when I read the Keloland one it sounded more like Dome football. I think what they need to do is come up with a blueprint where it will be with the existing facility and so on. What it will hold the floor plans and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post

And the other concert that had that type of effect at the Arena was....and when...? I don't even think Tom Petty sold out. Crosby Stills & Nash had plenty of empty seats, and I bought mine day-of show. Elvis Costello at the tiny Pavillion still had walk-up seats the day of the concert. These are all major acts.

Comment

Originally posted by sfsd View Post
              And the other concert that had that type of effect at the Arena was....and when...? I don't even think Tom Petty sold out. Crosby Stills & Nash had plenty of empty seats, and I bought mine day-of show. Elvis Costello at the tiny Pavillion still had walk-up seats the day of the concert. These are all major acts.
              I think some of it has to do with advertising also.... I think that may be why the convention center changed hands this past summer.

Comment

Elton John sold out in like 19 minutes and is the first big name they have gotten in a long time, out here in the hills they get big names all the time... it just seems like the only concerts I here about are the ones at the sioux empire fair....
                I was trying to make a joke. I'll take Johnny Homes at Lake Benton over Elton John anywhere.
                @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Was it announced that the facility they wanted to build was like the Fargo Dome or that the financing was going to be structured like the Fargo Dome?
                  Thats where I get confused.... From what I understand it would be financed like it but it says Indoor Football so do they mean dome football or do they mean Storm football when I read the argus it sounded like Storm football but when I read the Keloland one it sounded more like Dome football. I think what they need to do is come up with a blueprint where it will be with the existing facility and so on. What it will hold the floor plans and so on.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is the new Events Center would accomadate Arena Football and not Regulation Football. I believe USF and the new Augie stadiums would handle the Public High School Football games. The only games that generate crowds of 10,000 plus are the President's Bowl and Dakota Bowl. Augie's new stadium will have 6500 seats and and a significant number of people will be able to sit on the grass berms on both sides of the stadium. I'm not a fan of the Fargo Dome and certainly hope they build a facility that is for Basketball/Hockey/Arena Football and concerts.

Comment

If it's not built for regulation football, then it really doesn't benefit the whole of the community -- Sioux Falls AND the state -- as much as keeping and fixing Howard Wood. Arena football has failed how many times in Sioux Falls already? Indoor football is in its third or fourth incarnation, with the Cobras and Renegades having folded, and it's unstable seeing as how many leagues have folded since the Storm came into existence. To build a venue based around this fringe sport is incredibly short-sighted (how are the Canaries drawing these days since the Northern League/American Association has lost its draw for big-name players). The goal should be landing the high school football championships, which is a MAJOR revenue generator for the community, not lining Ted Thoms' pockets.

The goal should be to build a venue that can be converted for hoops and football. To host a Summit League tournament or a Gateway or Great West championship football game. USD and SDSU going Division I should be the driving factor to building this, not a fourth-tier indoor football fad. The Skyforce/NBDL also is the only real minor league in town, so that should be a third consideration after the universities and high schools, followed by the Stampede, followed by the Storm.

Comment

Originally posted by sfsd View Post
                      If it's not built for regulation football, then it really doesn't benefit the whole of the community -- Sioux Falls AND the state -- as much as keeping and fixing Howard Wood. Arena football has failed how many times in Sioux Falls already? Indoor football is in its third or fourth incarnation, with the Cobras and Renegades having folded, and it's unstable seeing as how many leagues have folded since the Storm came into existence. To build a venue based around this fringe sport is incredibly short-sighted (how are the Canaries drawing these days since the Northern League/American Association has lost its draw for big-name players). The goal should be landing the high school football championships, which is a MAJOR revenue generator for the community, not lining Ted Thoms' pockets.

The goal should be to build a venue that can be converted for hoops and football. To host a Summit League tournament or a Gateway or Great West championship football game. USD and SDSU going Division I should be the driving factor to building this, not a fourth-tier indoor football fad. The Skyforce/NBDL also is the only real minor league in town, so that should be a third consideration after the universities and high schools, followed by the Stampede, followed by the Storm.
                      What does building another football stadium in Sioux Falls prove???? I think that is the question? USD has a dome SDSU is planning major remodeling over the years so I would guess they plan on having the majority if not all there games at home... High School championships are not that big event that people make it out to be. even though 12 teams come I would be that the economic impact is less then a quarter of state basketball or football. As far as indoor football, it doesn't take too much to make an arena for football. so I don't know where you get that it would short sited it would just have the option to be long enough to play arena football in.... I don't think it is a fringe sport there may be fringe leagues but the Arena Football League the one that all the minor leagues resemble has been around for over 20 years.

Comment

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=0,63095
                        More info about the SF School District's reaction to the new proposed events center/Sanford Coliseum, which would include an indoor football stadium.

Why a football field at the Sanford Coliseum? (This list is the order of what I think the FB goals would be for the facility by the SF Sports Authority.)

1) Major high school events like the Dakota Bowl and in-town rivalries.
                        2) Host some of the state football championships, particularly 11-AA.
                        3) Home of the revived SDSU-USD rivalry
                        4) Host an occassional USD game
                        5) Host late-season SDSU games

Howard Wood is probably going to need $15-20 million in improvements in the next decade just to make it a usable (and still not that nice) facility. Frankly, the SF School District has better ways to spend that money, especially with two new football fields springing up in town.

Comment

ya because a 14,000 seat arena will be able to hold a SDSU-USD game.....

Comment

ya because a 14,000 seat arena will be able to hold a SDSU-USD game.....
                            Then they could claim a sell-out! After the novelty wore off, 14K would likely be plenty of seats for a SDSU-USD game.

Comment

As far as I am concerned, the new center could be 20 years old before we play the U.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                                As far as I am concerned, the new center could be 20 years old before we play the U.
                                I agree, but the Sioux Falls Sports Authority will likely make a strong effort for the new Coliseum to host a SDSU-USD game. If the facility does get built, any hypothetical offer to play USD should be a Brookings-Sioux Falls arrangement.

Comment

Working...
                                X