Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

little help with SD hs football please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: little help with SD hs football please...

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
    It's funny you mention recruiting... over thirty years ago, the local priest in my home town kept the kids of one of the public school coaches from getting First Communion because he had convinced a couple of kids from the parochial school to transfer to the public school and wrestle. Always thought that made for an interesting story.
    Sounds interesting!! Tell us more. Did someone complain to the Bishop in SF?

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
      Already been done. Used to be 2 9 man classes, now we have 9B, 9A, 9AA.

Much like basketball, the SDHSAA have screwed up the FB playoffs by pandering to some who don't want to compete at a higher level. The day they went to a 3 class Basketball system the "B" tournament was dead. I still recall the late 70s, over 11,000 in Rapid City watching the championship game between Armour and Beresford. Regularly you would have 9,000 in the Arena for the opening round day of games. No more, now the B tournament are lucky to get 5,000 in Aberdeen. Sad. Those were fun times.
      I was being snarky because some of the 9 man teams are getting boat raced every game and dont really have a shot to make the dome. because the last 10 years the SF public schools were really good, then all the other 11AA school admin made a stink about it and made the SF schools basically play for their own title.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
        It's never fair. Public schools can only use athletes from their district. Private schools can get athletes from anywhere, even a different state.
        Except for open enrollment at public schools and it actually costs to go to a private,i agree. i'm sorry i entered this thread,i'm having high school flashbacks.lol

Back in the day at Heelan, i heard all the stories how athletes were getting school paid for by boosters. I even heard some about myself. We used to start rumors about teammates just to see how fast some of the city schools would spread them. Good times.

Comment

Much like basketball, the SDHSAA have screwed up the FB playoffs by pandering to some who don't want to compete at a higher level. The day they went to a 3 class Basketball system the "B" tournament was dead. I still recall the late 70s, over 11,000 in Rapid City watching the championship game between Armour and Beresford. Regularly you would have 9,000 in the Arena for the opening round day of games. No more, now the B tournament are lucky to get 5,000 in Aberdeen. Sad. Those were fun times.
          Or when little ole Miller High won the State A Championship in 1972 beating all the "big" guys. I wasn't around back then, but love hearing the stories. That Miller team is still regarded by some as the best team of all-time.

Comment

Those were the days and don't get me started, I will mention an excellent article about Gann Valley in the South Dakota Magazine it was a reprint but a story about Fort Thompson Native kids having to become part of a white community of Gann Valley. The Fort Thompson school had closed, and made at least one state B appeareance in the 1950's but you are right, the B tournaments were very popular and a big deal to many small towns who no longer have high schools. For those not up on South Dakota geography Fort Thompson and Gann Valley are south of and about an hour from Pierre.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
              When making this comparison. Don't include OG as they are not part of the "sioux falls" school system. See how that changes your #'s when I played and my brother for that matter, OG or an esd school won every year. I still don't understand why anybody cares about HS football. Unless you have a kid playing it's painful to watch. I went to Whs ( like goon, graduated with his sister in fact) and I couldn't care less about who won this year. Or last year for that matter.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
              I was wondering if anybody would call me out for including O'G. In my defense though, if someone is going to say SF football sucked forever, you have to include O'G. Anybody with a football pulse left the public schools and went to school at O'G. It would be interesting to see how many of the football studs that O'G had during their hayday had been in the Catholic school system in elementary. I'll wager that a lot of the studs went to public school elementaries, played junior football, then enrolled at O'G in junior high or high school. That scenario would have a dramatic affect on Washington and Lincoln.
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Sounds interesting!! Tell us more. Did someone complain to the Bishop in SF?
                I don't know if it ever got to that. But the coach's family ended up going to a parish in another town until that priest left. Then they came back.
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                  I don't know if it ever got to that. But the coach's family ended up going to a parish in another town until that priest left. Then they came back.
                  Small town politics, its fun to watch from the outside looking in. It seem kind of rotten for a parish priest to exercise his power in this fashion. The coaches kid should never have been punished for his parents actions. Good way to destroy someone. And how did the priest explain this to the coaches kid? "No communion for you, your dad is a rat for recruiting kids away from St. Mary's". And the kid says "But I know my catechism frontwards and backwards". "Doesn't matter", says the Priest. It's enough to make someone want become a Lutheran.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                    It would be interesting to see how many of the football studs that O'G had during their hayday had been in the Catholic school system in elementary
                    You'd be surprised that the answer to that question is "a lot".

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                      You'd be surprised that the answer to that question is "a lot".
                      Stop. If you keep posting things like that, I'm going to have to work at work today instead of making up excuses for SF sucking at football for so long.

Comment

I know its not the fault of the kids as they play when and where the SDHSAA tells them to, but I think that every 11AA championship since the inception of 11AAA should have an asterisk by it. What a joke. The 11AA trophy is nothing but a participation trophy, just like it is for the ESD crowning 2 champions moving forward.
                        Let's be honest with ourselves. High school FB in SD is all a complete joke. 7 classes for a state with less than a million people. Texas, population 26.96 million, has 6 classes.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          Let's be honest with ourselves. High school FB in SD is all a complete joke. 7 classes for a state with less than a million people. Texas, population 26.96 million, has 6 classes.
                          100% correct but you gotta like the KIA car commercial!

Comment

Stop. If you keep posting things like that, I'm going to have to work at work today instead of making up excuses for SF sucking at football for so long.
                            Oops. Sorry! I hear those Heelan Crusaders and O'Gorman Knights are out recruiting again.........$10 handshakes for some 5th graders

Comment

Oops. Sorry! I hear those Heelan Crusaders and O'Gorman Knights are out recruiting again.........$10 handshakes for some 5th graders
                              Recruiting? What are you talking about? I never said anything about recruiting.

Comment

Recruiting? What are you talking about? I never said anything about recruiting.
                                Dude, I'm just trying to get some discussion going so you don't have to work, as requested!

Comment

Working...
                                X