Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

little help with SD hs football please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: little help with SD hs football please...

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
    And regularly blamed for recruiting kids (which I'm pretty sure they did do).
    Of course they recruit. How do you think private schools get their students.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
      Lincoln was always fantastic at the sport of Marching Band too
      Back in the hemphler(sp?) days.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
        True, but back in the 70s and 80s going after good athletes and providing "funding assistance" to an expensive private high school was controversial. Is it controversial today? No, it happens all the time.

Different time.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
          The Pierre team that won the first 11AA title the year 11AAA was introduced was really, really good. I always wanted them and Lincoln, who won the 11AAA that year to play a game.
          The Yankton team that won last year was also really talented. Both of those teams were undefeated against 11AAA teams and I everyone that I have talked to from those teams dislikes the new class. They feel like they could have been the best team in the state and weren't given the chance to prove it. If the student athletes don't want the extra class even, why is there one?
          "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
            The Yankton team that won last year was also really talented. Both of those teams were undefeated against 11AAA teams and I everyone that I have talked to from those teams dislikes the new class. They feel like they could have been the best team in the state and weren't given the chance to prove it. If the student athletes don't want the extra class even, why is there one?
            Especially this year when the Sioux falls schools are clearly beatable. The last few years WHS struggled so I was totally surprised they finished the year the way they did. Some of the great Sioux falls teams would be hard to beat, but it wasnt that long ago that the ESD schools and Yankton, brookings, Brandon, Watertown Pierre, Mitchell were constantly beating the SF teams or competing for state titles. It really wasnt till the last 10 years or so that SF schools really started competing at that level aside from OG.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
              It's never fair. Public schools can only use athletes from their district. Private schools can get athletes from anywhere, even a different state.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                Especially this year when the Sioux falls schools are clearly beatable. The last few years WHS struggled so I was totally surprised they finished the year the way they did. Some of the great Sioux falls teams would be hard to beat, but it wasnt that long ago that the ESD schools and Yankton, brookings, Brandon, Watertown Pierre, Mitchell were constantly beating the SF teams or competing for state titles. It really wasnt till the last 10 years or so that SF schools really started competing at that level aside from OG.
                A SF school has won the state's largest class in football every year for the last 12 years. During that time BV, Aberdeen and Yankton made it to the dome once each. Otherwise, the championship game has been 2 SF teams. I think a lot of it has to do with open enrollment. Prior to that being allowed, if kids who had played together as they grew up wanted to continue on, they had to go to O'Gorman. With open enrollment, they could all go to one school and really load a team up. Never underestimate the power of parents on a sideline for multiple years concocting a plan to make the journey for little Johnny as easy as possible.
                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                  A SF school has won the state's largest class in football every year for the last 12 years. During that time BV, Aberdeen and Yankton made it to the dome once each. Otherwise, the championship game has been 2 SF teams. I think a lot of it has to do with open enrollment. Prior to that being allowed, if kids who had played together as they grew up wanted to continue on, they had to go to O'Gorman. With open enrollment, they could all go to one school and really load a team up. Never underestimate the power of parents on a sideline for multiple years concocting a plan to make the journey for little Johnny as easy as possible.
                  Like I said around the last 10 years. What about before that for sioux falls schools winning titles?

Comment

Like I said around the last 10 years. What about before that for sioux falls schools winning titles?
                    First you said it wasn't that long ago and then you stated they had been good only 10 years. I guess I consider 10 years to be quite a while. Prior to the 12 year run, a SF team made it to the championship game 14 times winning 6 of those. So, of the 34 years SD has had a state champion in football, a SF team has played in that game 24 times. Of those 24 games 9 were 2 SF teams playing each other. SF has always been good in football. Open enrollment made it so that those kids didn't have to play for O'G exclusively. They could open enroll to the public schools together. Had open enrollment been around since 1981, you would have seen more SF public schools in the finals instead of just those all-star O'G teams.

Comment

First you said it wasn't that long ago and then you stated they had been good only 10 years. I guess I consider 10 years to be quite a while. Prior to the 12 year run, a SF team made it to the championship game 14 times winning 6 of those. So, of the 34 years SD has had a state champion in football, a SF team has played in that game 24 times. Of those 24 games 9 were 2 SF teams playing each other. SF has always been good in football. Open enrollment made it so that those kids didn't have to play for O'G exclusively. They could open enroll to the public schools together. Had open enrollment been around since 1981, you would have seen more SF public schools in the finals instead of just those all-star O'G teams.
                      I guess I think of when I was in high school in the 90s, and my brother and sister at SF public schools. between the 3 of us there was someone in high school for pretty much the entire 90s. None of the public schools during on time there as far as I remember won any football state titles. Nobody was concerned in the 90s that SF public schools werent winning enough titles. I dont think 10 years ago is that long ago.

There are tons of 9man schools that have won a championship in forever, or ever won. Maybe they should get more 9man classes so they can compete yearly for titles too.

Comment

When making this comparison. Don't include OG as they are not part of the "sioux falls" school system. See how that changes your #'s when I played and my brother for that matter, OG or an esd school won every year. I still don't understand why anybody cares about HS football. Unless you have a kid playing it's painful to watch. I went to Whs ( like goon, graduated with his sister in fact) and I couldn't care less about who won this year. Or last year for that matter.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess I think of when I was in high school in the 90s, and my brother and sister at SF public schools. between the 3 of us there was someone in high school for pretty much the entire 90s. None of the public schools during on time there as far as I remember won any football state titles. Nobody was concerned in the 90s that SF public schools werent winning enough titles. I dont think 10 years ago is that long ago.

There are tons of 9man schools that have won a championship in forever, or ever won. Maybe they should get more 9man classes so they can compete yearly for titles too.
                          I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. It seems like forever since we've beat NDSU, but it been less time than the SF public schools have dominated the state biggest class.

Comment

It's funny you mention recruiting... over thirty years ago, the local priest in my home town kept the kids of one of the public school coaches from getting First Communion because he had convinced a couple of kids from the parochial school to transfer to the public school and wrestle. Always thought that made for an interesting story.
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                              When making this comparison. Don't include OG as they are not part of the "sioux falls" school system. See how that changes your #'s when I played and my brother for that matter, OG or an esd school won every year. I still don't understand why anybody cares about HS football. Unless you have a kid playing it's painful to watch. I went to Whs ( like goon, graduated with his sister in fact) and I couldn't care less about who won this year. Or last year for that matter.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                              This...this right here.
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Already been done. Used to be 2 9 man classes, now we have 9B, 9A, 9AA.

Much like basketball, the SDHSAA have screwed up the FB playoffs by pandering to some who don't want to compete at a higher level. The day they went to a 3 class Basketball system the "B" tournament was dead. I still recall the late 70s, over 11,000 in Rapid City watching the championship game between Armour and Beresford. Regularly you would have 9,000 in the Arena for the opening round day of games. No more, now the B tournament are lucky to get 5,000 in Aberdeen. Sad. Those were fun times.

Comment

Working...
                                X