Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Robert Morris

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
    I would agree. Although it is nothing but an oversized Quonset hut, it is something special for small town kids to go to the dome.
    I agree...right now there is definitely a dome mystique with HS athletes. However, the lure of playing in the best stadium in SD once the Dana is complete could change that. There just wasn't another option in SD prior to our new stadium being completed.

If SDSU can't secure the state football championships, I'd love to see them find a weekend where they could host a series of FB games from all classes - modeled after some of the basketball classics. Name it the Jackrabbit Bowl. I understand that there isn't as many games in a FB season and that some schools may hesitate at moving one away from home, but it would be great to see some of the best HS teams/programs in the state playing on one common weekend in Brookings early in the HS football season.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
      I agree...right now there is definitely a dome mystique with HS athletes. However, the lure of playing in the best stadium in SD once the Dana is complete could change that. There just wasn't another option in SD prior to our new stadium being completed.

If SDSU can't secure the state football championships, I'd love to see them find a weekend where they could host a series of FB games from all classes - modeled after some of the basketball classics. Name it the Jackrabbit Bowl. I understand that there isn't as many games in a FB season and that some schools may hesitate at moving one away from home, but it would be great to see some of the best HS teams/programs in the state playing on one common weekend in Brookings early in the HS football season.
      Great idea! Rep pts, also the all star game would fit in well. That's provided they'd move the others and the mtgs that occur.

i realize this discussion should really be occurring on the stadium thread, talk about thread drift. Mods, are you able to move these comments to the stadium thread?

Comment

The SD High School All Star games in Aberdeen no longer exist (the ones held in conjunction with the coaches' conference, anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post

There has been such an event in S. Falls on one of the first weeks of the season for many years now under various names. Originally at H. Wood and now at Bob Young Field with the FCA's name attached to it. Many good 9-man programs have participated multiple times over the years such as B-E-E, Canistota, Avon, etc.
          Last edited by trueblue; 09-23-2015, 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
            Officials, Sdhsaa and parents would prefer Brookings to because amenities Brookings has over vermillion. Restaurants hotels, etc
            Umm, would you care to back that up with some facts or state your source?

I don't see semi-finals or the championship games ever moving away from the Dome, strictly due to the games having the potential to be affected by the elements. I think that was purely wishful thinking by Sell as a way to help boost support for the new stadium.

Plus, the SDHSAA is bat sh$t crazy, and SD high school football remains a complete joke anyways. The AAA/AA split is a farce, and now the ESD is giving out participation trophies for each class in their conference.

Let's sum this up:
            South Dakota - 2010 Census Population 814,180 (7 Classes of Football)
            Iowa - 2010 Census Population 3,046,355 (6 Classes of Football)

Comment

I've played in 0 degree weather in the playoffs and the dome for the championship game. Not many kids want to play in freezing/blowing weather for the championship game. SD football is a lot of power running, but a strong wind in the cold pretty much makes it a one dimensional game. The main hangup is the crowd would be a lot lesser if the weather is cold and blowing. I doubt they would take a risk by having it outside at that time of the year. Not sure why all of the bashing, thought you guys liked grain bins and quonsets.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post

I don't see semi-finals or the championship games ever moving away from the Dome, strictly due to the games having the potential to be affected by the elements. I think that was purely wishful thinking by Sell as a way to help boost support for the new stadium.

Plus, the SDHSAA is bat sh$t crazy, and SD high school football remains a complete joke anyways. The AAA/AA split is a farce, and now the ESD is giving out participation trophies for each class in their conference.

Let's sum this up:

Arizona 6.76 million- 6 classes (5 11man, 1 8 man) there are a few that are not part of the AIA, but thats a whole different story, and the AIA might be as crazy as the SDHSAA

The SDHSAA at least in the next 10-15 years, would never move everything from the Dome.

I do think just because of the power of the large schools, if they said, we don't want to play in Vermillion, we want to play in Brookings, to get a larger crowd, to raise more money, then it would be possible, but I just don't see them moving everything. However if they can make a $ play then who knows.

Comment

Let's sum this up:
                  ND has 750,000ish people with 4 classes

The 2 states should combine for HS football, and have a deeper playoff field for the big schools. Since 1974 the AAA state champion has came outside Fargo or Bismarck 4 times

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                    Arizona 6.76 million- 6 classes (5 11man, 1 8 man) there are a few that are not part of the AIA, but thats a whole different story, and the AIA might be as crazy as the SDHSAA

The SDHSAA at least in the next 10-15 years, would never move everything from the Dome.

I do think just because of the power of the large schools, if they said, we don't want to play in Vermillion, we want to play in Brookings, to get a larger crowd, to raise more money, then it would be possible, but I just don't see them moving everything. However if they can make a $ play then who knows.

Comment

Let's sum this up:
                      i guess I should have said in my opinion, there are no facts or sources. Elements? The only element FB cannot be played in is lightning, I'll say with an uneducated guess there's about a 3% chance of that. When did playing outdoors become such a bad thing in mid November. There's a better chance it's sunny and 55 than snowing and 20. Either way some of my best memories are playing playground football in the snow. But then again we had core training in the off season, it was called hauling bales. I guess it's better to go through what they do now. So if playing in the grain bin is what everyone thinks the athletes would prefer I guess I'm in the minority.

Comment

How much rain did Brookings get the past couple days?

Comment

Originally posted by juniorjackgrownold View Post
                          How much rain did Brookings get the past couple days?
                          I think I saw on KELO that they got just over an inch.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            I think I saw on KELO that they got just over an inch.
                            Sunshine and light breeze should keep the field in decent shape plus the rain came slow and should have soaked away nicely.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                            X