Sanford Premiere Center......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanford Premiere Center......

as much as possible, i have followed the building of the Sanford Premiere Center. i was just curious if anyone has heard anymore news about the exterior of the building (re: aluminum siding problem, or whatever that material is).
    the latest i know is the city fight with the contractor that is responsible for the material.

i was able to drive by a couple of times while in Sioux Falls. i was so disappointed in that siding. i thought it cheapened the look of the building terribly. i understand it was done as a cost-cutting procedure, but, doesn't change my opinion of how ugly it is. i was one of those in complete support of sioux falls building a new event center, but, just wish they could have done the exterior in a much more attractive fashion.

Re: Sanford Premiere Center......

When they showed it on National TV when announcing the sites for the 2016 Tournament, it was embarrassing to see the buckled panels, made the building look cheap. Not quite the proud moment the City was expecting I suspect. Totally disappointed in the lack of oversight shown in monitoring the Construction process from both the City and the General Contractor. Nice on the inside, ugly on the outside. As far as I know, the fight over who's responsible still goes on, ad nauseam.

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
      as much as possible, i have followed the building of the Sanford Premiere Center. i was just curious if anyone has heard anymore news about the exterior of the building (re: aluminum siding problem, or whatever that material is).
      the latest i know is the city fight with the contractor that is responsible for the material.

i was able to drive by a couple of times while in Sioux Falls. i was so disappointed in that siding. i thought it cheapened the look of the building terribly. i understand it was done as a cost-cutting procedure, but, doesn't change my opinion of how ugly it is. i was one of those in complete support of sioux falls building a new event center, but, just wish they could have done the exterior in a much more attractive fashion.
      Pm me and we can discuss my knowledge of the situation. This is still in litigation

Comment

Maybe I am in the minority, but I've been to 4 events now at the Premier Center and not once have I noticed the panels while walking in the parking lot and that's even knowing about the problem. Yes, I agree they should fix the panels but I have never been "embarrassed" at the look the building. I don't think anyone is not going to an event because of what the building looks like on the outside and I also don't think we are not going to get awarded an event because of the exterior of the building.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
          Maybe I am in the minority, but I've been to 4 events now at the Premier Center and not once have I noticed the panels while walking in the parking lot and that's even knowing about the problem. Yes, I agree they should fix the panels but I have never been "embarrassed" at the look the building. I don't think anyone is not going to an event because of what the building looks like on the outside and I also don't think we are not going to get awarded an event because of the exterior of the building.
          On National TV with a just completed 115 million dollar venue you wouldn't be embarrassed to see this building with shoddy workmanship displayed for the whole nation to see for the first time with bulging panels that obviously don't fit right?.......OK.

Comment

I know lots of people that have commented they don't even know there is anything wrong with the panels. Before I even saw on the news that there was a problem, i just thought it was the design of the panels. It just doesn't look that bad to me, especially at night. So how many times do you think ESPN will show the exterior of the building on TV during the Summit League tournament championship games? Maybe once, twice? Do you think IPFW fan watching in Indiana is going to even notice? "Holy s**t, look at that shoddy siding!" I doubt it. They will eventually get it fixed. People would hardly notice or care if it wasn't on the news or in the Argus.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              On National TV with a just completed 115 million dollar venue you wouldn't be embarrassed to see this building with shoddy workmanship displayed for the whole nation to see for the first time with bulging panels that obviously don't fit right?.......OK.
              I'm guessing 90% of the average Joe Public wouldn't even notice there is an issue with the panels unless they were told about it beforehand. While I agree that it should be fixed, I don't agree that it is an embarrassment or some sort of engineering tragedy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                I'm guessing 90% of the average Joe Public wouldn't even notice there is an issue with the panels unless they were told about it beforehand. While I agree that it should be fixed, I don't agree that it is an embarrassment or some sort of engineering tragedy.
                90%?

Comment

My thoughts on the panels is that the unintended bending makes the Sanford Premiere Center's exterior look actually kind of cool from the distance, but up close it looks like the design/material flaw that it is.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    I was a lot more embarrassed on how the inside of the old Arena looked than I am about the outside of the Sanford Center.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      I was a lot more embarrassed on how the inside of the old Arena looked than I am about the outside of the Sanford Center.
                      Definitely.

Comment

For those who haven't seen a photo here is a link to a picture of the outside. http://visitsiouxfalls.com/planners/...events-center/

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          For those who haven't seen a photo here is a Limk to a picture of the outside. http://visitsiouxfalls.com/planners/...events-center/
                          It looks like it could just very well be the panel design in that picture. Up close might be a different story.

It could issue with expansion/contraction. If you ever installed vinyl siding you know how that can be affected by expansion/contraction. Put the nails in too tight and it's going to buckle and bow.

So they may be arguing over who is responsible. The installer may be saying it's the material and the manufacturer may be saying it was installed incorrectly. Ultimately, the city will likely see this fixed just takes time when the lawyers get involved.

Comment

I just hope there is better oversight and they make sure there are no issues like this when the new stadium is built, and if there is, that people won't just brush it off and say it makes no difference, it's fine the way it is and no one will notice anyway. Can we agree on that at least.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              That is the reason we opted to build the new Stanford Center, so we wouldn't have to be embarrassed anymore, isn't it? Can we expect a brand new 115 million dollar facility that had not even opened yet to not have major flaws? Just depends on one's expectations I guess, some have a lower standard, some a higher standard. Each to his own.
                              Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-09-2015, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X