Fall 2014 Enrollments Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall 2014 Enrollments Report

Heard a blurb on WNAX driving up Friday, the 2014 report will be released Tuesday at 10 AM.

SDSU
    2009 enrollment 12,736 - FTE 10,197.3
    2010 enrollment 12,816 - FTE 10,512.5
    2011 enrollment 12,725 - FTE 10,420.9
    2012 enrollment 12,583 - FTE 10,152.8
    2013 enrollment 12,554 - FTE 10,220.2

Re: Fall 2014 Enrollments Report

My guess is 12,691. I have heard no predictions whether we will be up or down from last year.
    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

My guess 12598
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
        My guess is 12,691. I have heard no predictions whether we will be up or down from last year.
        SDSU Provost was in Yankton about a month ago. She said it would be about the same # as last year. Working hard on retention but also want to see enrollment increase. I think admin is a little disappointed in the enrollment numbers.

I heard President Abbott's address on the state of USD and he said much of the same. Enrollment numbers at USD are up but FTE's and students on campus aren't as strong as he would like.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          SDSU Provost was in Yankton about a month ago. She said it would be about the same # as last year. Working hard on retention but also want to see enrollment increase. I think admin is a little disappointed in the enrollment numbers.

I heard President Abbott's address on the state of USD and he said much of the same. Enrollment numbers at USD are up but FTE's and students on campus aren't as strong as he would like.
          With all the new dorms being built, are we capable of continuing to expand new incoming classes or are those numbers maxed out at this point? If so, retention should be a big focus. If not, then we need to push to get those new dorms filled to the max. I am sure the admin is trying to do just that. What are graduation rates like in South Dakota high schools right now?
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
            With all the new dorms being built, are we capable of continuing to expand new incoming classes or are those numbers maxed out at this point? If so, retention should be a big focus. If not, then we need to push to get those new dorms filled to the max. I am sure the admin is trying to do just that. What are graduation rates like in South Dakota high schools right now?
            Available "traditional" incoming freshman numbers are down for a variety of reasons. Graduation rates at the high school level are relatively flat. The cost of a college education has skyrocketed while endowments and access to scholarship money have not kept pace. Many grads are choosing tech schools and other options outside of a 4-year college.

In the Yankton area we are seeing large numbers of 18-25 year olds leaving the rural area (8 counties around Yankton) and never coming back. They end up in Sioux Falls, Omaha or the Twin Cities. Its a crisis for us as job numbers rise there are no workers to fill the positions.

When you live in a state where education and progress take a back seat to almost every other issue at the legislative level this is the result you get. I can't blame young people for looking at opportunities elsewhere. Don't want to make this political so I'll leave it at that.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It will be very close numbers wise to last year. Retention is up. Part of the reason we are generating less credits is because of the reduction to graduate from 128 to 120. This seems small, but when you see the number of students who are now taking 14 or 15 credits per semester, who in years past would take 16 or 17 credits and there is part of the budget problem. The President has a goal to have retention at 80% by 2018. I think we are around 77% now.
              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I guess 12,468.

Comment

When you live in a state where education and progress take a back seat to almost every other issue at the legislative level this is the result you get. I can't blame young people for looking at opportunities elsewhere. Don't want to make this political so I'll leave it at that.
                  Agreed. At some point its fact and not 'political'.

JackMD noted that part of the explanation is the competition for students by the technical schools. He's right. Example: Lake Area Technical Institute in Watertown has 1729 students enrolled for the fall semester, that is the 11th consecutive year in which LATI has surpassed a record fall enrollment. (Watertown Public Opinion, 9/9/14).
                  Last edited by JackJD; 09-22-2014, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    Agreed. At some point its fact and not 'political'.

JackMD noted that part of the explanation is the competition for students by the technical schools. He's right. Example: Lake Area Technical Institute in Watertown has 1729 students enrolled for the fall semester, that is the 11th consecutive year in which LATI has surpassed a record fall enrollment. (Watertown Public Opinion, 9/9/14).
                    Agreed I had a prof in psych ask his class in the mid 1960's,of which I was a member, "how many of you plan to leave South @ after you complete your education?" An overwhelming number of hands, mine included, went up ,like a about 80%. We never had 3M, Twin Blower, and Dakt at that time nor Watertown have it's industries. Progress is slow in coming. I ended in Nebraska with a Fed jopb but was still homesick. Now we have two new houses in back of me coming up in Arlington. They hope to pick up new job holders from BabyBel Cheese as new owners. There is some economic progress, but politically the one party rule has never received any challenge. That too is fact. And for a fact, I have wished I had attended Votech in Watertown.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 09-23-2014, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      Heard a blurb on WNAX driving up Friday, the 2014 report will be released Tuesday at 10 AM.

SDSU
                      2009 enrollment 12,736 - FTE 10,197.3
                      2010 enrollment 12,816 - FTE 10,512.5
                      2011 enrollment 12,725 - FTE 10,420.9
                      2012 enrollment 12,583 - FTE 10,152.8
                      2013 enrollment 12,554 - FTE 10,220.2
                      2014 enrollment 12,557- FTE 10,179.9

enrollment up 3 and FTE's down slightly but still higher than the 2012 FTE count

http://www.sdbor.edu/mediapubs/press...Enrollment.pdf

Edited Post for some addditional thoughts.

SDSM&T had the real growth in the system. Enrollment up 158. FTE's up 156.5.
                      NSU went up 237 headcount but only up 15.3 FTE. That is an average credit hour of .96 per new student. I think it can probably be attributed to some high school seniors taking a 1 credit course. Good to have them taking a college course but the enrollment increase is not traditional 15 credit hour on campus students.
                      USD droped 174 but only dropped 33.5 FTE's. Would show most of their drop was online, University Center, or just part-time students.

Comment

thanks for the link, el presidente

For those who don't want to go to the link, here are the first two paragraphs from the story on the BOR website and the actual stats for each state school:

Enrollment at South Dakota’s six public universities remained stable this fall, the South Dakota Board of Regents reported today. Headcount enrollment was up by 167, while the number of full-time equivalent students being served was down only slightly.

Total headcount at the six public universities was 36,532, an increase of 0.46 percent over last year. The number of full-time equivalent students for the Fall 2014 term—based on total credit hours generated by all students within the regents’ system—decreased by 45.2 students to a total of 26,736.5, or -0.17 percent.

Here's the chart (doesn't copy & paste very well ... reading from left to right: Headcount Fall 2013; Headcount Fall 2014; Difference in numbers; Difference expressed as a percentage change; FTE Equivalent Fall 2013; FTE Equiv Fall 2014; Difference in numbers; Difference expressed as a percentage change.
                        Institution
                        BHSU
                        0.56%
                        -4.64%
                        DSU
                        -2.62%
                        -0.06%
                        NSU
                        7.09%
                        0.72%
                        SDSMT
                        5.98%
                        7.00%
                        SDSU
                        0.02%
                        -0.39%
                        USD
                        -1.70%
                        -0.45%

Comment

Here is the Collegian with specific info about SDSU. http://www.sdsucollegian.com/news/ar...a4bcf6878.html
                          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I don't know if you care, but NDSU also released official numbers today. Full breakdown will have to wait until November when the ND university system releases the fall report, but NDSU headcount is at 14,747. Something like 9 or 11 straight years of record enrollments. Undergrad up 176 from last year. Transfers up 10.5%. Record number of doctoral students. Freshman GPA(3.43) and ACT(24.02) averages are records. 93% of students are face-to-face.

Comment

Working...
                            X