Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brookings wins the first ever legion championship

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    No doubt Post 22 still has a good a program. Yes Brookings had one of its best years ever. It will be interesting to see if Robb Hirrschoff can keep the program going at this leve. Talent in Brookings comes and goes.
    I for one am not writing Post 22 off.

Comment

Brookings lost the first game to Papillion Nebraska 7-0 in the Central Plains Regional. In the second game today, they defeated West Fargo, the ND champ 7-3. Matt Thomas went eight innings in winning the second game.

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/eve...icle/id/60435/

Comment

Looks like Rapid Post 22 is loosing it grip on the State Legion Championship.SF East won it last year and low and behold Brookings does it this year. Its hard to believe that this is the first State Championship, but Post 22 has eliminated them many, many times.

Other than Landon Busch who has committed to K-State, The Jacks should find a few recruits on this team. Their best chance might be Kelby Beste, and a MacMacken, no doubt off spring of Billy.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...nclick_check=1
        Kelby Beste and Matt Thomas signed to play for the University of Sioux Falls. So did Gunner Peterson (had season ending arm surgery). I heard all the Brookings Seniors were playing college baseball.

I would say Skylar Cary, Thomas McMacken, Jordan Lerdal and Kyle Krogman will draw some college baseball interest.

All three of the Bandit coaches are SDSU baseball alumni; Rob Hirrschoff, Matt Bowman and Billy Stitz
        We...ARE...STATE!
        SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
          Kelby Beste and Matt Thomas signed to play for the University of Sioux Falls. So did Gunner Peterson (had season ending arm surgery). I heard all the Brookings Seniors were playing college baseball.

I would say Skylar Cary, Thomas McMacken, Jordan Lerdal and Kyle Krogman will draw some college baseball interest.

All three of the Bandit coaches are SDSU baseball alumni; Rob Hirrschoff, Matt Bowman and Billy Stitz
          Thanks I missed a lot of Legion Baseball in Brookings over the years.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 08-11-2012, 03:42 AM.

Comment

I saw a score in the paper yesterday where the Brookings Bandits were defeated by a team from Omaha. I suppose the season is over for the Bandits. None the less, I am proud of this year.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 08-14-2012, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Beste, Thomas, and Peterson will all continue their careers at USF. Bullington at DSU. Koenig at St.Cloud Tech and as previously stated Busch at K-State. It was not a coaching carousel, but SDSU not wanting to part with any money for local kids as to why none will be playing for SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                Beste, Thomas, and Peterson will all continue their careers at USF. Bullington at DSU. Koenig at St.Cloud Tech and as previously stated Busch at K-State. It was not a coaching carousel, but SDSU not wanting to part with any money for local kids as to why none will be playing for SDSU.
                Thank you for the clarification. As I recall that was mentioned as well.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

That makes sense. Scholarship money is limited to 8 to 10 scholarships and it takes incentive to get those west coast kids to come here. Thomas seems to be impressive as a pitcher. How good?? Who knows.

Comment

That makes sense. Scholarship money is limited to 8 to 10 scholarships and it takes incentive to get those west coast kids to come here. Thomas seems to be impressive as a pitcher. How good?? Who knows.
                    Understood. But if a kid is good enough to play locally, why do we hose them? Sorry, this has stuck in my craw for umpteen years. This racket has been run by the Brookings HS Coaches and the SDSU coaches for too long. Just because a kid is from Brookings he doesn't get a scholarship? Then I don't blame them for going elsewhere.
                    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                      Understood. But if a kid is good enough to play locally, why do we hose them? Sorry, this has stuck in my craw for umpteen years. This racket has been run by the Brookings HS Coaches and the SDSU coaches for too long. Just because a kid is from Brookings he doesn't get a scholarship? Then I don't blame them for going elsewhere.
                      Sounds like a conspiracy out of controll.

Comment

Not to be rude, but it appears that no other D-I program wanted to part with their scholarship dollars either for Beste - D-II, Thomas - D-II, Peterson - D-II, Bullington - NAIA, or Koenig - D-II. So maybe it isn't a SDSU plot. Unless you are a big time pitcher there usually isn't a full ride in baseball. I wonder even with athletic scholarships money from the private D-II school how much each of the kids will be paying for their own schooling?

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                          I understand this statement, but "good enough to play locally" is a judgment call, and I wouldn't be so quick to try and put a brand new coach in the position of a "racket...for too long" category. Coach Schrage is working hard to bring in baseball players who can play at a high level in D-I. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt until somebody "local" gets away to a competitive D-I school because he wasn't able to get a comparable baseball scholarship grant at SDSU.

Comment

My buddy got the highest scholarship possible as a freshman coming out of HS to play for Southwest State in Marshall. That amounted to $1000/year because he was a pitcher. There's no money in baseball.
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                              Not to be rude, but it appears that no other D-I program wanted to part with their scholarship dollars either for Beste - D-II, Thomas - D-II, Peterson - D-II, Bullington - NAIA, or Koenig - D-II. So maybe it isn't a SDSU plot. Unless you are a big time pitcher there usually isn't a full ride in baseball. I wonder even with athletic scholarships money from the private D-II school how much each of the kids will be paying for their own schooling?
                              I can't remember the exact date but there was an article in the Argus that talked about the cost at Augie, USF, SDSU and USD. The players must not have been wanted at SDSU because it would be cheaper to walk-on at SDSU than go to either USF or Augie to play ball. I think it was about 2 Sundays ago and it showed that USF and Augie cost more than double what it costs to go to school at either SDSU or USD. I think Augie only gave out 3 full rides. USF had a few more than that because they figured that players would walk-on elsewhere and save money if they didn't offer a full ride.
                              I'm sure somebody could find and post the article or give better details but this is what I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                                My reference was to one player that did receive a scholarship at K. State. That individual was not offered a scholarship by the coach that was recruiting him to SDSU. I was not aware of the train of thought that is being discussed after I pointed that out. I don't know if there is a true bias against offering SD kids scholarship money or not. If there is, it may have cost SDSU a recruit in the case I was referring to.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X