Brookings wins the first ever legion championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brookings wins the first ever legion championship

Looks like Rapid Post 22 is loosing it grip on the State Legion Championship.SF East won it last year and low and behold Brookings does it this year. Its hard to believe that this is the first State Championship, but Post 22 has eliminated them many, many times.

Other than Landon Busch who has committed to K-State, The Jacks should find a few recruits on this team. Their best chance might be Kelby Beste, and a MacMacken, no doubt off spring of Billy.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...nclick_check=1

Re: Brookings wins the first ever legion championship

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Looks like Rapid Post 22 is loosing it grip on the State Legion Championship.SF East won it last year and low and behold Brookings does it this year. Its hard to believe that this is the first State Championship, but Post 22 has eliminated them many, many times.

Other than Landon Busch who has committed to K-State, The Jacks should find a few recruits on this team. Their best chance might be Kelby Beste, and a MacMacken, no doubt off spring of Billy.

Great win, was following via web stats yesterday.

It is Billy's boy.

Aside, I was talking with one of the coaches from an upper midwest college last night and he tells me Landon Busch would have been a Jackrabbit had the coaching carousel not be ongoing at the time of his recruitment. Perhaps he will find his way back to SD in the future.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I have not followed the Bandits closely this year so really don't know names but Matt Thomas looks to be a very good pitcher.

Landon has roots here, his dad is Mike Busch and Grand dad is Galen Bush and grand uncle was the late Denny Busch a member of the 1963 championship team. Lets hope he does make it back here.

Comment

RC Post 22 has won it only once in the last 5 years. Not sure if that means their dominance is over but its good to see other teams win it. Since 1970, RC Post 22 or a SF team has won it every year except 3 times. Mitchell won it in 99, Aberdeen in 2008 and now Brookings. BTW, since 1970, RC Post 22 has won it 32 times.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
          RC Post 22 has won it only once in the last 5 years. Not sure if that means their dominance is over but its good to see other teams win it. Since 1970, RC Post 22 or a SF team has won it every year except 3 times. Mitchell won it in 99, Aberdeen in 2008 and now Brookings. BTW, since 1970, RC Post 22 has won it 32 times.
          Not looking for a p*ss fight here but I said Post 22 was loosing it's grip, but next year they could be champs again. I don't know much about Robb Hirrschoff, but he did an excellent job this year as coach whether he can repeat this title 32 times remains to be seen. That Rapid Coach,whose name escapes seems like a legend and a dynasty. That Legion Hall must have run out of space for all those trophies. No room for drinking beer.

To win a championship, I think it takes talent and a coaching ability to keep all the guys on the same page. This year Brookings had that. I dont know how far they will go in the regional.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 08-06-2012, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Not looking for a p*ss fight here but I said Post 22 was loosing it's grip, but next year they could be champs again. I don't know much about Robb Hirrschoff, but he did an excellent job this year as coach whether he can repeat this title 32 times remains to be seen. That Rapid Coach,whose name escapes seems like a legend and a dynasty. That Legion Hall must have run out of space for all those trophies. No room for drinking beer.

To win a championship, I think it takes talent and a coach ability to keep all the guys on the same page. This year Brookings had that. I dont know how far they will go in the regional.
            Dave Ploof was the coach of Post 22. I dont P*ss fight with anyone, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
              Dave Ploof was the coach of Post 22. I dont P*ss fight with anyone, btw.
              Ploof actually "retired" before this season. I remember there being quite a bit of tension about who the next coach was going to be. I believe he is still affiliated with the baseball program out there somehow.

Comment

Having played Legion baseball in South Dakota, the state title still goes through Post 22.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                  Having played Legion baseball in South Dakota, the state title still goes through Post 22.
                  Not this year or last year or the year before.

Comment

Not this year or last year or the year before.
                    Actually it did, as the state champion had to beat Post 22 to win it, may not have been in the title game but they still had to beat them....

I just find it funny that Post 22 hasn't won a title for two years (Post 22 has never gone three years without winning a title since Ploof took over) and all of a sudden they are losing their grip.

Disclaimer, I did not play for Post 22 actually had them end my season two of my three years playing Legion.

Edit: Found this http://articles.aberdeennews.com/201...erdeen-smittys looks like Post 22 did in fact win it in 2010.

Comment

Actually it did, as the state champion had to beat Post 22 to win it, may not have been in the title game but they still had to beat them....

I just find it funny that Post 22 hasn't won a title for two years (Post 22 has never gone three years without winning a title since Ploof took over) and all of a sudden they are losing their grip.

Disclaimer, I did not play for Post 22 actually had them end my season two of my three years playing Legion.

Edit: Found this http://articles.aberdeennews.com/201...erdeen-smittys looks like Post 22 did in fact win it in 2010.
                      Thnks for the links. I noticed that the 1935 winner was Pierre and they had to take out tiny Sinai in the semi-finals. On that team was Brad Ericksen SDSU Swimming coach's father Hartman who is 92 and the only living member of that team that played their hearts out. They were housed in the top floor of an un air-conditioned hotel, and they rode out to Pierre in the stock truck. 1935 was an unbeliveable hot year. It was before my time but my older siblings recall it clearly plus one of the late coaches live across the street from me in Brookings.

I guess Pierre was on the order of Post 22 in those days. I see your point about Post 22. In fact I did not start following this tourney until Thursday and Friday of last week and did not think Brookings would get past Post 22, but they did. Being a Brookings/Sinai guy I am proud of this team though. They played to win.

Comment

I think that when 320 formed, it hurt the future of Post 22. While they maybe haven't totally competed with 22, the dilution of talent has to have hurt a little bit. I'm sure there are a couple of kids every year that could play for Post 22, and sometimes that makes all the difference.

Comment

Thnks for the links. I noticed that the 1935 winner was Pierre and they had to take out tiny Sinai in the semi-finals. On that team was Brad Ericksen SDSU Swimming coach's father Hartman who is 92 and the only living member of that team that played their hearts out. They were housed in the top floor of an un air-conditioned hotel, and they rode out to Pierre in the stock truck. 1935 was an unbeliveable hot year. It was before my time but my older siblings recall it clearly plus one of the late coaches live across the street from me in Brookings.

I guess Pierre was on the order of Post 22 in those days. I see your point about Post 22. In fact I did not start following this tourney until Thursday and Friday of last week and did not think Brookings would get past Post 22, but they did. Being a Brookings/Sinai guy I am proud of this team though. They played to win.
                          Trust me, I'm not trying to take anything away from Brookings they had a heck of a team this year. But going two years without a title doesn't mean Post 22 is losing their grip.

Comment

Trust me, I'm not trying to take anything away from Brookings they had a heck of a team this year. But going two years without a title doesn't mean Post 22 is losing their grip.
                            No doubt Post 22 still has a good a program. Yes Brookings had one of its best years ever. It will be interesting to see if Robb Hirrschoff can keep the program going at this leve. Talent in Brookings comes and goes.

Comment

The little league teams from Rapid that competed in the world series the last couple of seasons will be making their way into the legion program in the next couple of years. I wouldn't write 22 off yet!

On a side note, the RC Canyon Lake all-star team is playing in the mid-west semifinals this Thursday at noon MDT. If they win, they will play in the championship on Saturday. Both games will be on ESPN.
                              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Working...
                              X