Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SF Event Center Named

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Wasn't the Sanford sign on the side of the Target Center was taken down at the end of last year's season?
    I guess it was, apparently as part of the new naming deal with the Target Center they controlled that real-estate. I guess that shows how many Twins games I've watched this year

here is a pic of what it looked like http://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/20...er-facing-targ

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      I'm not sure on the exact deal with the nursing program but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there is something going on and one of the buildings is being rebuilt with Avera. Not really sure on the down to basics deal, but Terry has said numerous times don't expect Sanford to be the one on the football stadium because of the ties the school has to Avera.

As far as Target field, well its actually on the Target Center. If you look towards right field, on the corner of the Target Center (where the Wolves play), in large letters it says Sanford. The Twins complained because the $ was going to the Wolves and they had at the time a deal with Mayo (I think, could be wrong that they now have that deal with Sanford)
      I wouldn't be so quick to say nothing at SDSU will be Sanford.

Sanford's advertising on Target Center was taken down a long time ago.

Comment

Are we still going to bitch about Denny or the Health Care for giving money?

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...news|text|Home
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
          I guess I'm still not sensing the scarcasm. Or my "sensitivity meter" is up.
          Get a little worked up when this guy helps SD(which BTW can use every penny of help it can get) out and a lot of SDakotan's essentially bitch about how the $$ was delivered. We sound like a bunch of spoiled little brats, when in actually I know exactly the reason they bitch...because they're jealous the $$ isn't or didn't go to one of their "pet-projects".

Go Jacks!!
          Didn't mean to give the impression that I was "bitching". A lot of people have been involved in moving this process forward and getting an events center built the same way a lot people have spent time, energy and a relative amount of money to support the "It Starts with State Campaign" and all of the other effort required to make the move to DI successful. Naming rights a common place and widely accepted in our society. I don't agree with it and it appears I'm in the minority here. I also voiced opposition to naming the medical school after him. Guess what, I'm an assistant professor of academic internal medicine at the Sanford School of Medicine. I can deal with it.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
            Are we still going to bitch about Denny or the Health Care for giving money?

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...news|text|Home
            Again, not sure who is "bitching". Having a conversation involving different viewpoints seems normal to me. This is far from a surprise and doesn't change my opinion one bit.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Didn't mean to give the impression that I was "bitching". A lot of people have been involved in moving this process forward and getting an events center built the same way a lot people have spent time, energy and a relative amount of money to support the "It Starts with State Campaign" and all of the other effort required to make the move to DI successful. Naming rights a common place and widely accepted in our society. I don't agree with it and it appears I'm in the minority here. I also voiced opposition to naming the medical school after him. Guess what, I'm an assistant professor of academic internal medicine at the Sanford School of Medicine. I can deal with it.
              Actually, I think you're in the majority, especially when you look at the KELO piece they did.
              I don't get it, but I'm absolutely content being in the minority on this issue. Bottom line...if we want certain things here in SD that other states like our have...than SOMEONE needs to pay for it. And since SD operates on one of the smallest tax bases per citizen in the country and the "majority" is OK with that then IMO, it's good to have guys like T. Denny Sanford and Sanford Health in our corner paying for a lot of these things. But like I said...I'm in the minority.

Go day for SDSU, IMO...I actually heard it was going to be more, but I have a feeling that isn't all of it.

Go Jacks!!
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                Actually, I think you're in the majority, especially when you look at the KELO piece they did.
                I don't get it, but I'm absolutely content being in the minority on this issue. Bottom line...if we want certain things here in SD that other states like our have...than SOMEONE needs to pay for it. And since SD operates on one of the smallest tax bases per citizen in the country and the "majority" is OK with that then IMO, it's good to have guys like T. Denny Sanford and Sanford Health in our corner paying for a lot of these things. But like I said...I'm in the minority.

Go day for SDSU, IMO...I actually heard it was going to be more, but I have a feeling that isn't all of it.

Go Jacks!!
                Its great to have guys like Mr. Sanford. Ask yourself this, why do they have money like they do? Do teachers, mechanics, nurses, etc...work hard a provide an invaluable service to society? Isn't there a greater sense of pride when you name a building after someone who has made a difference in hundreds, thousands, millions of peoples lives? Doesn't seem like our society might be glorifying the wrong people when we place so much emphasis on amassing unbelievable wealth?

I don't know why I'm bringing this debate to a forum about SDSU athletics, I guess I can't help myself. I have an equal amount or more respect for the nurses that just got of the night shift over at the hospital, the men and women in the military, and the guy busted his rear in the sun to keep the roads patched up that donated $50 to SDSU. I don't know if this makes any sense to others.

Bottom line, Sanford has plenty of money, so much that they don't even know what to do with it. Others make a decision to give what they can or pay taxes because they are required to and without their contributions these facilities don't get built and don't get used. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros
                  Hold your nose and pray for Sanford dollars.
                  Prayers answered... now, can we please pray that I can get a date with a supermodel?
                  I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Its great to have guys like Mr. Sanford. Ask yourself this, why do they have money like they do? Do teachers, mechanics, nurses, etc...work hard a provide an invaluable service to society? Isn't there a greater sense of pride when you name a building after someone who has made a difference in hundreds, thousands, millions of peoples lives? Doesn't seem like our society might be glorifying the wrong people when we place so much emphasis on amassing unbelievable wealth?

I don't know why I'm bringing this debate to a forum about SDSU athletics, I guess I can't help myself. I have an equal amount or more respect for the nurses that just got of the night shift over at the hospital, the men and women in the military, and the guy busted his rear in the sun to keep the roads patched up that donated $50 to SDSU. I don't know if this makes any sense to others.

Bottom line, Sanford has plenty of money, so much that they don't even know what to do with it. Others make a decision to give what they can or pay taxes because they are required to and without their contributions these facilities don't get built and don't get used. Carry on.
                    I might be missing something but I don't think I'd glorify Mr. Sanford. I'd like to thank him for the money he's donated because he did something that most people either couldn't afford or wouldn't spend their money on. I think most people would respect people who make a difference through actions over money but right now the donation was a good thing. The donation to SDSU helps get the practice facility built and the donation for the Event Center might help calm down some of the worry about the operating expences. I've already heard that the donation wont fully cover it but it's not a bad start. You always want more.
                    I didn't read the whole thread so this might not fit but it my take on the donations.

Comment

Again, not sure who is "bitching". Having a conversation involving different viewpoints seems normal to me. This is far from a surprise and doesn't change my opinion one bit.
                      Honestly, I wasn't inferring you, MD. But now that you mention it.....

Seriously, I think I was lumping the majority of everybody in Sioux Falls and SD together. How can we honestly complain about a little thing like a name. I don't see anyone ponying up the cash. If he wants to sponsor my house I'll slap his name on my garage doors right now. I believe jealousy is a very big motivator(once again not inferring you MD) for the way people think about Denny. So his name gets put on everything, BFD. If it bothers people that much, raise the money yourselves and name it whatever you want. I could only wish I had that much money to do that. I don't think it's awful that my kids are only a couple miles away from one of the best health care facilities in the region. Although my son is very wary of the statue and thinks it's up to something (Who dat guy? Wut's he doin?)

At least I'm no longer confused about people going to Volga to go to the hospital

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                        Honestly, I wasn't inferring you, MD. But now that you mention it.....

Seriously, I think I was lumping the majority of everybody in Sioux Falls and SD together. How can we honestly complain about a little thing like a name. I don't see anyone ponying up the cash. If he wants to sponsor my house I'll slap his name on my garage doors right now. I believe jealousy is a very big motivator(once again not inferring you MD) for the way people think about Denny. So his name gets put on everything, BFD. If it bothers people that much, raise the money yourselves and name it whatever you want. I could only wish I had that much money to do that. I don't think it's awful that my kids are only a couple miles away from one of the best health care facilities in the region. Although my son is very wary of the statue and thinks it's up to something (Who dat guy? Wut's he doin?)

At least I'm no longer confused about people going to Volga to go to the hospital
                        I'll bite, again I don't really care other then it sounds dumb because its way too long, but to some people, I think their argument would be, raising MY TAXES to pay for this facility is more of a burden on me, then it is for T. Denny to write a large check. Its all about perspective.

I'm still willing to bet that way over half of the public will refer to this thing as the NEW Events center or the New Sioux Falls Arena

Comment

I'll bite, again I don't really care other then it sounds dumb because its way too long, but to some people, I think their argument would be, raising MY TAXES to pay for this facility is more of a burden on me, then it is for T. Denny to write a large check. Its all about perspective.

I'm still willing to bet that way over half of the public will refer to this thing as the NEW Events center or the New Sioux Falls Arena
                          How many people slamming T. Denny and his donations would be more than happy to impose a special luxury tax that would impact a handful of people and use that money to fund an events center? Then we could call the new events center The People's Center for Events or Regional Worker's Arena, paying homage to all the mechanics, teachers, and air conditioner repairmen.

We could have had some big company just come in and write a check. That's what a lot of NBA arenas have done. Power Balance Pavillion, Quicken Loans Arena, Barclays Center, Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Wells Fargo Center, Philips Arena, etc... Those are a handful of NBA arenas whos namesakes are likely to have many more "shady" practices than Premier.

Barclays alone makes Sanford's business practices look pretty darn reasonable (high interest rate credit cards vs. funding apartheid, Zimbabwe's dictatorship, money laundering, global interest rate fixing).
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barclays#Controversies

Bottom line, there are much worse places Sioux Falls, SDSU, and South Dakota could be getting money.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Located in Sanford Falls along the Big Sanford River on Sanford Street in Sanford County, Sanford Dakota.
                            And now your thoughts?

Comment

I can agree with that, but at least it's not the Waste Management Arena and Convention center

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                                And now your thoughts?
                                Haven't change.

Looking forward to attending events at the new arena and events center.

Comment

Working...
                                X