Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1230 KWSN commits gross journalistic malpractice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1230 KWSN commits gross journalistic malpractice?

I'm listening to the live stream of KWSN right now, and Chris Tubbs is conducting a faux interview with Scott Nagy.

I say it's a faux interview, because Tubbs is pretending that he's asking questions directly to Nagy, but Nagy's answers sound very much like they were taken directly from audio Nagy's teleconference earlier today (audio of which was posted by Terry V. here.)

And no, most of the answers were not from questions that Tubbs asked on the conference call.

But Tubbs pretended it was an actual interview, all the way through, "asking" Nagy questions, calling him "coach" and the whole nine yards.

Wow.

Just wow.

In. Freaking. Credible.

As if I needed more reasons to view Sioux Falls broadcast media with acute disdain.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: 1230 KWSN commits gross journalistic malpractice

99.1 epsn had tyler on and it was pretty decent.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I guess if somebody in the know might share for us the ethics of using audio from coach conference calls, that would help me in gauging my astonishment here.

JimmyJack?
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Doug Gottleib just lost some respect for him. basically he doesnt like the movie I Love you Man. Must not be a Rush fan. Ready to get a little Neil Pert all up in ya.....
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Re: 1230 KWSN commits gross journalistic malpractice?

this is not uncommon for radio to do this. my dad used to get records with a script that you read and have a record running with the interviewee answering with gaps between answers for you to ask the question. also, how often are the play by play announcers really at the game they are doing. like some NFL games with the big banners when they show the announcers. the press boxes arent that big. I was watching something and it was stated that the announcers for the game werent actually at the game.

Comment

Didn't President Regan get his start with that type of gig?
            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
              Didn't President Regan get his start with that type of gig?
              Actually, no. He was "recreating" an entire game's narrative from a printed play-by-play.

KWSN was taking the audio of answers from questions in a presser, and then having their host "ask" the questions as if they were the ones who originated the questions in the first place. That's the part I find really objectionable and kind of offensive. Seems to me to be a kind of plagiarism--of the questions, not of the answers.

Instead of saying "Hey, Coach Nagy, nice tie! By the way, what do you think of Baylor's big men?" an honest radio station would have actually (and accurately) said something like "Coach Nagy was asked about Baylor's big men, and here's his answer:"

And the difference between this and the scenario SturgisJeff cites is that in the case of those recordings, the questioner--probably a wire service reporter of some kind--knew that his interview would be used in that manner. I would guess that Vandrovec and the Argus Leader (for instance) didn't know that his question would be--essentially--stolen by KWSN and "asked" without any kind of reference or citation of its actual origin.

But then, I don't generally have a huge reservoir of respect for much of the media anyway, so I suppose I should just chalk it up as one more incident supporting my worldview.

Sigh.

Hey, there's another windmill over there. I'll go tilt at that one for a while . . .
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

You should say where you got the info from, it is ok to use something from a press conference but it isn't right to pass it off as some kind of live interview.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                  I was watching something and it was stated that the announcers for the game werent actually at the game.
                  The Big Ten Network got caught doing this earlier this season. They made it seem like the announcers were live at the game site,while they were actually watching the game in studio and adding the commentary. They did not tell the audience that they were not actually at the game.

Comment

Not at all surprised by this. My advice, don't listen to 1230 KWSN.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      99.1 epsn had tyler on and it was pretty decent.
                      This. IMO 99.1 focuses a little too much on local high school sports but that's likely because I care very little about local high school sports. But, they are definitely not Craig and if nothing else they have that going for them.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Having worked in radio for 14 years this is unacceptable. Radio is all about having a relationship with your listeners and making them feel like you are apart of the family. No on-air personality should lie to their listener base like this. Use the audio the way that a press conference like it is meant to be used. It is a place for information to be gathered by reporters to be put into a story. Not to be pirated so that some no-talent hack can have a "one-on-one" interview. This takes away from all the real journalists that take the time to go through the correct channels and get real interviews.

Sorry, this kind of thing makes me angry. This type of irresponsibility is what sometimes gives radio a bad name.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                          This. IMO 99.1 focuses a little too much on local high school sports but that's likely because I care very little about local high school sports. But, they are definitely not Craig and if nothing else they have that going for them.
                          I typically listen to classical 88.1 when at work. Just love classical. But with the tourney coming up I listened most of the day when I wasn't on the phone. When tyler was on it seemed pretty decent. At least I didn't listen to colin cowturd.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            KWSN was taking the audio of answers from questions in a presser, and then having their host "ask" the questions as if they were the ones who originated the questions in the first place. That's the part I find really objectionable and kind of offensive. Seems to me to be a kind of plagiarism--of the questions, not of the answers.
                            So it was more like what Stewart and Colbert does? Without the premise of humor though of course.
                            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

I asked two of those questions... so in other words, I was on KWSN today. LOL
                              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                              X