Paying for On-line Argus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying for On-line Argus

Just saw on the Argus Leader web site that they are going to start charging $9.00 per month for on-line access. You will be able to get free access to a limited number of articles each month. It will be interesting to see how many subscriptions they get. Terry V is the only reason I go there - I know I won't be wasting my freebies to read Stu's column !

Re: Paying for On-line Argus

first going to facebook login for comments, killed those, now charging for online access. byebye Argus. have to look for something else to read in the morning.

Comment

If it's anything like the NYT, there will be ways to work around the pay-wall. I know for the Times, if you click to an article through a link you don't have to pay. Anyone know if there will be anything similar for the Argus?

And I think the Facebook comments are a good thing. There is a place for anonymity on the internet but it's also nice for some places to require a real name.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        If it's anything like the NYT, there will be ways to work around the pay-wall. I know for the Times, if you click to an article through a link you don't have to pay. Anyone know if there will be anything similar for the Argus?

And I think the Facebook comments are a good thing. There is a place for anonymity on the internet but it's also nice for some places to require a real name.
        \

Funny how people dont want to say nasty things when their name is included in the comment. I'll have to wait and see how much im going to miss before i decide if id pay to read it.

Comment

I would pay $9 a month for TV's coverage. So I will subscribe.
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
            agree

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              Just saw on the Argus Leader web site that they are going to start charging $9.00 per month for on-line access. You will be able to get free access to a limited number of articles each month. It will be interesting to see how many subscriptions they get. Terry V is the only reason I go there - I know I won't be wasting my freebies to read Stu's column !
              I'm sure they've done market analysis and all that jazz, so it's probably pretty right on....but 9 bucks a month seems REALLY steep to me.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                If there is a way to add that into the comments of the subscription, make sure everyone does that. The Argus needs to know that we're subscribing for TV and the Jackrabbits.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

If there was a way to pay for just terrys stuff becuase then I would. Othwrwise I am going to have too keep just tuesday tidbits. How many articles will you get to read for free. I guess if you want to increase readers or I am not sure this is how you do it by chasinf away people from the comment section and charge what seems like a lot for online acsess. I guess if it gets rid of the pop up adds it would be worth it. But I doubt that would change.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to read all of Terry's stuff for free. What's he write, like 2-3 articles a week at most?

Will the AL be doing anything for paper subscribers? Will people that subscribe get free online subscriptions? Will people that subscribe online get a discount on the paper version?
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Just as long as I can get the live chats for the games I'll be happy. He is how I follow the Jacks from out of state.

Comment

This is a tough call. I will need to see what exactly you get for 10 dollars, excuse me I meant 9 dollars. The last time they changed their format, the paper did not read like it use to, and if more changes are on there way, this old koot may just stop reading the paper. TV has kept me a reader, no doubt about that.

Comment

Not many people are going to like this but -- it's about time newspapers start requiring people to pay for the online content.

Seriously, $9 a month is too steep? How? You get everything that is in the paper, the only thing you don't get is the hard copy that you get to hold in your hands, in addition to videos, photo galleries, blogs and what have you. That's a lot of content for $9 a month

Newspaper have been dying because of the Internet and not being ahead of the curve and requiring people to pay right away, it's about time the fight back.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                            Not many people are going to like this but -- it's about time newspapers start requiring people to pay for the online content.

Seriously, $9 a month is too steep? How? You get everything that is in the paper, the only thing you don't get is the hard copy that you get to hold in your hands, in addition to videos, photo galleries, blogs and what have you. That's a lot of content for $9 a month

Newspaper have been dying because of the Internet and not being ahead of the curve and requiring people to pay right away, it's about time the fight back.
                            I don't know if it's too steep or not...I just said it SEEMS steep to me, but like I said, I'm sure they didn't just throw a number out there...I'm sure they did some research to see what the "going rate" is.

Even so, going rate or note, as cheap as I am, it seems steep to me.
                            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Thirty cents a day doesnt sound too steep to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X