Buffalo Wings applying for liquor license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffalo Wings applying for liquor license

Do not know the signifcance of this article but it appears another franchise for Brookings.

http://www.brookingsregister.com/v2_...=11860&page=76

Re: Buffalo Wings applying for liquor license

As the article states the offical name is Buffalo Wild Wings. I never could get that straight. I am a little surprised by this since they are in the process of opening another franchise in Watertown. I guess they must have some data to go on, and hopefully the liquor license will not be a problem. It mentions Whiskey Creek which I believe is a stake house franchise.

Comment

The location for the Watertown BWW was under construction and then that construction project stopped in the Spring. In the past few weeks, however, it looks like they're back to work finishing the building and the rumor mill still says it'll be a BWW.

Comment

Does anyone know if this is being built by the same guy who owns the sf bww? Doesn't that money filter to NDSU?
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          The location for the Watertown BWW was under construction and then that construction project stopped in the Spring. In the past few weeks, however, it looks like they're back to work finishing the building and the rumor mill still says it'll be a BWW.
          The rumor I heard was that BWW in Watertown was on schedule until there was a problem with getting a liquor license. Now, they want to come into Brookings. Problem is that the city council wants to set the price for a restaurant only license in the 50-75k range. That range is being challeneged by Skinners and Cubbys saying that they should cost more. Lawyers for the bars say that they should be in the 95-105k range like in Watertown and Vermillion (which, by the way, have not sold 1 at those prices).
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I believe that issue was settled.

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=0,114153
            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Based on the ruling and other discussion, the Brookings city council set the restaurant-only license rate at $100K (which could STILL be challenged as still being TOO LOW) last night. In addition, several city councilors want to discuss raising the price of the city's last liquor license (two were given a few weeks back) from $25K to possibly $100K. Needless to say, I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing Buffalo Wild Wings, Whiskey Creek, or any other national sit-down restaurant in Brookings anytime in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
                Based on the ruling and other discussion, the Brookings city council set the restaurant-only license rate at $100K (which could STILL be challenged as still being TOO LOW) last night. In addition, several city councilors want to discuss raising the price of the city's last liquor license (two were given a few weeks back) from $25K to possibly $100K. Needless to say, I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing Buffalo Wild Wings, Whiskey Creek, or any other national sit-down restaurant in Brookings anytime in the near future.
                Not so fast, here I think the pressure to add new business and spur further growth is part of the big plan in everyone's book. This liquor license thing seems to be in the way of these businesses coming to town. The city council could revamp the licencing policy which could open up the gates.
                Brookings has a legacy for being a dry town. I was in Junior High about 1954 when after three votes, the citizens finally agreed to allow one city owned off sale liquor license. Before that everyone when to Aurora to get their hard stuff. The Aurora lived high on the hog thanks to Brookings being a dry town. The only beverages available were 3.2 beer. With 3M coming to town at a time when the SDSU enrollment was increasing in the early 1970's, the attitudes towards liquor started to change and has been changing a great deal since. Tim Reed the Mayor as many know works for the SDSU Foundation and is involved in developement, and seems like to me there may be pressure to change and allow more licences. Thats about all it would take to get both franichees to come to Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
                  I don't think $100 K will scare away a national chain. The lack of an opportunity to sell liquor would.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                    I don't think $100 K will scare away a national chain. The lack of an opportunity to sell liquor would.
                    Here is the issue I have with the entire law. The law that was passed by the state basically states that the Restaurant Only Licenses have the same inherent value to a business as the Regular Operating agreements. I see it as comparing apples to oranges. One (Restaurant) has stipulations that require 60% of your sales to be food, where as the other (standard) doesn't break down what your sales should be in order to serve booze.

Granted, in the grand scheme of a place like BWW, the 100k may not actually be that big of a blow. But, for the average business owner trying to start out that could stifle development. But, as long as certain business owners in town are scared of having new, and better, competition they will invest in lawyers and not improving their own product.
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                      Here is the issue I have with the entire law. The law that was passed by the state basically states that the Restaurant Only Licenses have the same inherent value to a business as the Regular Operating agreements. I see it as comparing apples to oranges. One (Restaurant) has stipulations that require 60% of your sales to be food, where as the other (standard) doesn't break down what your sales should be in order to serve booze.

Granted, in the grand scheme of a place like BWW, the 100k may not actually be that big of a blow. But, for the average business owner trying to start out that could stifle development. But, as long as certain business owners in town are scared of having new, and better, competition they will invest in lawyers and not improving their own product.
                      Yup there is some of this fear present in this whole issue. I always enjoyed a good Whiskey Creek steak when I lived in Columbus NE and there was a Whiskey Creek establishment in Norfolk, Ne. BWW I can do without, but its economic growth to a community that I enjoy being part of.

Comment

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/2011/08...-to-brookings/

Comment

Looks like the Collegian scooped the Brookings Register at least in online media. There have been no stories posted on the Register at least about the latest action. I tried to watch the City Council proceeding on Channel 9 Medicomm, but got tired of watching sausage being made and found something else to do.

I understand Buffalo Wings will be moving into the former Bagel Shop.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 09-01-2011, 09:57 AM.

Comment

The bagel shop is still there (at least it was yesterday when I got my hair cut) it just has a new name. I thought they were building a stand alone next to Dunham's Sports

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                              The bagel shop is still there (at least it was yesterday when I got my hair cut) it just has a new name. I thought they were building a stand alone next to Dunham's Sports
                              I only know what I hear at coffee.
                              Oh thats my problem. Seriously a stand alone makes more sense. Both facilites in Fargo occupy a great amount of space, more than the bagel place would offer.

Comment

Working...
                              X