Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sioux Falls Event Center

Originally posted by hareball View Post
    My only interest in the Event Center is as a host site for athletic events - primarily the SL tournament. I posed a question a few posts earlier in this thread which is still unanswered so I will repeat it. Will Sioux Falls be able to hang on to the SL tournament after 2014 without a new Event Center? If the current Event Center proposal isn't approved, I am guessing it will be at least 10 years before a new event center could be completed. What, if anything, can be done to upgrade/improve the Arena in the interim for Sioux Falls to continue to host the SL tournament.
    As I understand it, a new scoreboard will be put into the Arena, but I'm unsure where I read that. That is obviously long overdue. As to other issues, I can't give you any information. Others will be better suited to provide that info.

As for your 10-year time frame, if this one isn't approved, I wouldn't be surprised to see the issue fade for a year, only to rebound with some new ideas shortly thereafter.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Let me flip if for you if you only care about the SL tourny in SF. Does SF getting a new EC garuntee we will never lose the SL tourny to Tulsa or Omaha or ND either way? Even if its built with in 5 years. I can see the Summit tourny moving to rotating locations every few years as more bids get competitive to get the tourny. having a new arena will not make or break SF ability to keep the tourny. Is it possible if the EC is downtown, more people would spend time around the EC and either shop or eat or drink. There are 2 places right now by the current site. Call me a pessamist but I dont see a lot of bars and resturants clamoring to open in that area even with a new EC. If its is DT SF could easily profit a substantial amount of tax money by keeping people close to several different places to spend money. I dont many from out of town head to the mall or BWW right after games, however I could imagine that people from other summit schools spending more time and or money in places near the EC before or after their games.

My dad and I go to every game every session and between sessions, we go home because there is nothing really close to the arena to stop or eat for awhile before hand. If we had to walk to a parking ramp to get our car and on our way had to pass several bars or resturants that could be more enticing to stay there to get food which benifits the city more then us just going home. Now imagine that thousands of people do that DT where they cant at the current site. That one event of hosting the SL tourny would create more benefits to SF then the current site.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Frankly I think it is crazy that SF will build a new event center and keep the arena open as the arena. We do not need 2 event centers, espicially next to each other. Buid the new EC down town, everything that was at the arena moves too the new EC and renovate the arena to provide more space for the CC. There is no point in keeping the arena as is if there is a new EC. It is stupid to split events between the 2. The current arena structure I am sure could be renovated to provide the magical flat floor space that the mayor wants to get the pheasants unlimited or what ever it was as a convention.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

[QUOTE=KUlawJack;180662]The part about not passing unless all pro event center people support it is probably true. Why is it the duty of those who support different views to suddenly drop what they believe in to support something they don't? That's the job of the Mayor - to convince us that this is a good idea. We don't have to blindly follow our elected executive who hasn't produced any vision on the subject. This isn't North Korea.

Furthermore, this is bigger than just the Summit League Tournament.[/QUOTE ] If the EC is voted down,what makes you think that the majority of the people (according to the polls) that now prefer the arena site will change their minds just because a new mayor is in office ? If the downtown people help defeat the arena site,turn-about may be fair play down the road. And you seem pretty certain that a new mayor would prefer a downtown site.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            If the EC is voted down,what makes you think that the majority of the people (according to the polls) that now prefer the arena site will change their minds just because a new mayor is in office ? If the downtown people help defeat the arena site,turn-about may be fair play down the road. And you seem pretty certain that a new mayor would prefer a downtown site.
            I never said anything about a new mayor. As to turnabout being fair play, that could be the case. Or it may not be, if the person leading the charge for a downtown event center takes a strong, well-developed idea to the arena supporters after developing a large grassroots following in the community with people passionate about that leader's vision. The Mayor's has been anything but that up to this point. Plus, allowing enough time to get the message out and build consensus is important. Seems lacking this time as well.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              the majority of the people
              40% is a majority?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                40% is a majority?
                Enough to win a presidential election.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                  Enough to win a presidential election.
                  But not enough to pass a referendum bond issue.

Comment

But not enough to pass a referendum bond issue.
                    I know, and that wasn't the point..

Comment

I know, and that wasn't the point..
                      Consider this.... 40% is more than enough to amend the constitution (the 38 smallest states have 40.1% of the US population)

Comment

Consider this.... 40% is more than enough to amend the constitution (the 38 smallest states have 40.1% of the US population)
                        You bring up an interesting point.. so if only 40% are in favor of a measure (pick your issue) but the turnout is of only those mainly in the 40% that support an issue, a measure could still pass...

Comment

You bring up an interesting point.. so if only 40% are in favor of a measure (pick your issue) but the turnout is of only those mainly in the 40% that support an issue, a measure could still pass...
                          True, provided that those 40% are more invested in passage of the measure than those who oppose it.

However, the weakness of the Arena site (in part) is the lack of an invested and passionate core. You have the "I go to the polls to vote against public spending--even if it means that the school building gets condemned and those kids have to go to school in trailers" people and you've got the "Downtown is the best solution, accept no substitutes" people who are passionate about their beliefs.

Then you have the "well, I guess" support that exists for the arena.....

Perhaps nothing illustrates this better than the most vocal public voice in support of the arena site: Stu Whitney.

Read his articles. They are not full of arguments in favor of the arena site so much as they're rants that trash downtown supporters, their methods and their arguments. The most vocal arena site supporter is incapable of building a positive argument for the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                            I don't care where it gets built, but I disagree with that. It's already awesome at that site with a **** facility, so why would it be horrible with a new one.
                            It's a great tournament because of the caliber of talent, competition, passionate fans, organization and corporate support. It's not a success because of the arena's outdated amenities or location in Sioux Falls. I think the tournament could be even more succesful and enjoyable for participants and fans downtown. The city council did approve in early June funding for a new scoreboard at the arena and assume that will be in place for 2012. We may lose the Summit League Tournament at some point, but I don't think it will be because of the current arena. Would we secure the tournament on a long term basis with a new arena? Maybe, but to me it's more important to put this new facility in a place that is the best catalyst for continued economic and commercial development. The present arena site has never produced this kind of return and never will.

Comment

New group

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...-events-center

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...news|text|Home

Video

http://www.argusleader.com/article/9...ate=livestream

Build It Now Sioux Falls Website

http://www.builditnowsiouxfalls.com/

Comment

Mike Sullivan said, at that marathon council meeting, that neither he nor the sports authority really care where it's built. He mentioned that there were logistic advantages to be had at the Arena site, but that's about it.

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of the Arena site.

Comment

Working...
                                X