Brookings is SD's 4th largest city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brookings is SD's 4th largest city

Vermillion is listed by the census as having 10,000-something residents. There are 10,000-something students at USD. I'm thinking most students are being counted somewhere other than their college address.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      Vermillion is listed by the census as having 10,000-something residents. There are 10,000-something students at USD. I'm thinking most students are being counted somewhere other than their college address.
      But the state support headcount at USD is 7100. All on campus courses are state support and very few courses off campus are state support with the exception of medical school classes for 3rd and 4th year students.. By the time you deduct another 1000 or so who probably commute to campus for one or two classes you get to 6000-6500 who could potentially live in Vermilion during the year. SDSU's state support head count is a little over 10,800. By the same calculation, perhaps 9500-10,000 live in Brookings. My understanding is that they are supposed to be counted as part of the population but my guess is that a significant number either don't turn in the census forms and are missed in the follow ups or choose to report their residence as their home towns so getting an accurate estimate is probably pretty difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
        But the state support headcount at USD is 7100. All on campus courses are state support and very few courses off campus are state support with the exception of medical school classes for 3rd and 4th year students.. By the time you deduct another 1000 or so who probably commute to campus for one or two classes you get to 6000-6500 who could potentially live in Vermilion during the year. SDSU's state support head count is a little over 10,800. By the same calculation, perhaps 9500-10,000 live in Brookings. My understanding is that they are supposed to be counted as part of the population but my guess is that a significant number either don't turn in the census forms and are missed in the follow ups or choose to report their residence as their home towns so getting an accurate estimate is probably pretty difficult.
        Makes sense. My point was that Vermillion has more than a couple thousand year-round residents, which suggests that many students aren't being counted at their college addresses.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

For what it's worth, 1427 people live in the Medary township (including me) which is just South of Brookings. We aren't in the city limits and don't count towards the 22,056. However, I have a Brookings address and Brookings sewer/water (rural electric). Pizza Hut delivers to my house.

I know other communities have similar situations as well. I just bring it up for the purpose of discussion when talking about the size of Brookings relative to SDSU. Then if you think about the very close Brookings-Volga connection and Brookings-Aurora you can easily add 1768 and 532 for a total of about 26,000 people in the immediate Brookings area.

Subtracting out the 11,000 on campus (state support) students from 26,000 gives you a closer picture.

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente View Post
            For what it's worth, 1427 people live in the Medary township (including me) which is just South of Brookings. We aren't in the city limits and don't count towards the 22,056. However, I have a Brookings address and Brookings sewer/water (rural electric). Pizza Hut delivers to my house.

I know other communities have similar situations as well. I just bring it up for the purpose of discussion when talking about the size of Brookings relative to SDSU. Then if you think about the very close Brookings-Volga connection and Brookings-Aurora you can easily add 1768 and 532 for a total of about 26,000 people in the immediate Brookings area.

Subtracting out the 11,000 on campus (state support) students from 26,000 gives you a closer picture.
            Good analysis. I suspect there it developement in many areas of Brookings county which added to the 2010 figure. The one deterinent to development to the Volga-Brookings connection is the Sioux River and its river basin, so much low ground there that it will take all the concrete from many miles of road rebuilt to make it livable if ever. There are areas in Medary township that will never be suitable for housing, but will remain hayland and pasture as it was in 1869, when my Great Grand parents and great grand uncles settled that area. When you consider all of the area to choose from its odd how they choose to be close to the Sioux River. There is much better and productive farm land in Moody County that is away from the river. This prime ag land will eventually be developed into residential housing. Decades away, but seems likely as Brookings and SF move towards an urban chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Good analysis. I suspect there it developement in many areas of Brookings county which added to the 2010 figure. The one deterinent to development to the Volga-Brookings connection is the Sioux River and its river basin, so much low ground there that it will take all the concrete from many miles of road rebuilt to make it livable if ever. There are areas in Medary township that will never be suitable for housing, but will remain hayland and pasture as it was in 1869, when my Great Grand parents and great grand uncles settled that area. When you consider all of the area to choose from its odd how they choose to be close to the Sioux River. There is much better and productive farm land in Moody County that is away from the river. This prime ag land will eventually be developed into residential housing. Decades away, but seems likely as Brookings and SF move towards an urban chain.
              Even with all of that low ground between Volga and Brookings, I can assure you the Brookings is still an extremely important part of Volga. Brookings is where the people of Volga keep the majoritiy of their stores, their movie theaters, their courthouse, and of course, their university.
              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                Even with all of that low ground between Volga and Brookings, I can assure you the Brookings is still an extremely important part of Volga. Brookings is where the people of Volga keep the majoritiy of their stores, their movie theaters, their courthouse, and of course, their university.
                No arguement here. I know certain Volganites would protest, if you called Volga a suburb of Brookings, though. I can recall a time when the middle part of Main in Volga was open for parking, like on a Saturday night and Volga had three grocery stores two cafes, and a bunch of businesses that no longer exist. Even had those sinful Hollywood movies, often old Randolf Scott and John Wayne Westerns. I lived mid way between Sinai and Volga, and my father avoided going to Volga on Saturday nights because of those evil movies being shown at the old WPA audotorium. The shopping choices in Volga were superior to Sinai, but the movies were a moral weight that he wanted to protect us young one from. Kind of silly when you think about it, but that was befor the days of Captain 11 and KELO Land TV.

Times have changed a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  No arguement here. I know certain Volganites would protest, if you called Volga a suburb of Brookings, though. I can recall a time when the middle part of Main in Volga was open for parking, like on a Saturday night and Volga had three grocery stores two cafes, and a bunch of businesses that no longer exist. Even had those sinful Hollywood movies, often old Randolf Scott and John Wayne Westerns. I lived mid way between Sinai and Volga, and my father avoided going to Volga on Saturday nights because of those evil movies being shown at the old WPA audotorium. The shopping choices in Volga were superior to Sinai, but the movies were a moral weight that he wanted to protect us young one from. Kind of silly when you think about it, but that was befor the days of Captain 11 and KELO Land TV.

Times have changed a little.
                  Good post, and I thought only the Dutch thought that way.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                    Good post, and I thought only the Dutch thought that way.
                    Its a long story, but if you read up on the pietist movements in Scandnavia, you will understand. Are we digressing yet?

Comment

Working...
                    X