Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brookings is SD's 4th largest city

http://www.census.gov/newsroom/relea...cb11-cn35.html

Data for South Dakota show that the five most populous incorporated places and their 2010 Census counts are Sioux Falls, 153,888; Rapid City, 67,956; Aberdeen, 26,091; Brookings, 22,056; and Watertown, 21,482. Sioux Falls grew by 24.1 percent since the 2000 Census. Rapid City grew by 14.0 percent, Aberdeen grew by 5.8 percent, Brookings grew by 19.2 percent, and Watertown grew by 6.2 percent.

Re: Brookings is SD's 4th largest city

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
    http://www.census.gov/newsroom/relea...cb11-cn35.html

Data for South Dakota show that the five most populous incorporated places and their 2010 Census counts are Sioux Falls, 153,888; Rapid City, 67,956; Aberdeen, 26,091; Brookings, 22,056; and Watertown, 21,482. Sioux Falls grew by 24.1 percent since the 2000 Census. Rapid City grew by 14.0 percent, Aberdeen grew by 5.8 percent, Brookings grew by 19.2 percent, and Watertown grew by 6.2 percent.
    And Brookings doesnt have a Target yet. hmm.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I was living in watertown going to tech school in 2000, but now I live in Brookings, my wife was in brookings still in high school in 2000 (she wasn't my wife then) and we had a child in 2009.

So, between 2000 and 2010, my family counts as -1 to watertown and +2 to Brookings.

I don't know what the census data was in 2000, but I assume Watertown was bigger than Brookings.

Glad I had a hand in Brookings overtaking Watertown!
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

There's a difference: During the summer, Watertown will still have 21,482.

Comment

Does this mean we have to change the license plate numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

That brings up the point that never seems to get answered. Is the census number with or without SDSU students?

The census was done over the summer, right? So technically, the Brookings number would be without a majority of the students...?
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
              That brings up the point that never seems to get answered. Is the census number with or without SDSU students?

The census was done over the summer, right? So technically, the Brookings number would be without a majority of the students...?
              The 2010 Census I believe was supposed to be as of April 1st, 2010, so the students would have been in session.

However, I am certain that not all of the students that live here are counted in the brookings numbers. Not sure what the percentage is though. I wonder a: how many students even bother to fill out these forms, b: is it sent to the dorms?, c: how many were accurately filled out?

As has been the case for many years, there are rental properties that have a legal limit of three non-related individuals in a house. As we all know some of these have between 6-8. I'm guessing those renters would not want to fill out a government document stating that they are breaking the law.

Comment

Thankfully, speaking as a Brookings resident, that's not where the differences between Brookings and Watertown end.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post

In 2008-2009 the enrollment at SDSU was 11,995. Obviously the number used by the census, if counted, would have missed a number of students.

I seem to remember from my days at SDSU when the census happened that the students on campus didn't get counted.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I think that students who live in university housing such as dorms are counted as residents of their hometowns. Students who live off campus in private housing are considered residents of Brookings. Not sure, but that's my understanding.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

This factor has bothered me for a while. It means that Brookings without SDSU students is only 10,000. That does not seem correct either. If 3000 of the 12000 already call Brookings home then there must be at least 13,000. Trying to nail down the number of non-students seems a challange.

Maybe this factor explains why there still is no Target,or Kohls store in Brookings. Or a recent thread about Buffalo Wings going to Watertown instead of Brookings. Retailing power is still very much in Watertown. Being the fourth largest city in SD means about as much as Memorial Staduim on game day being the third largest city in Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Trying to nail down the number of non-students seems a challange.

Maybe this factor explains why there still is no Target,or Kohls store in Brookings. Or a recent thread about Buffalo Wings going to Watertown instead of Brookings. Retailing power is still very much in Watertown.
                        Digging into the demographic numbers as they get released will help answer that question, but I would project Brookings' non-SDSU population to be about 15,000.

As for the lack of retail, Brookings has traditionally only drawn from Brookings County while Watertown benefits from a larger trade area that reaches into MN. In addition, one-third of Brookings' population is not a desired demographic for many retailers.

The new census numbers, however, will create the opportunity for the city of Brookings to issue up to three new on-sale liquor license agreements, which may lure a BBW-type business to Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
                          Digging into the demographic numbers as they get released will help answer that question, but I would project Brookings' non-SDSU population to be about 15,000.

As for the lack of retail, Brookings has traditionally only drawn from Brookings County while Watertown benefits from a larger trade area that reaches into MN. In addition, one-third of Brookings' population is not a desired demographic for many retailers.

The new census numbers, however, will create the opportunity for the city of Brookings to issue up to three new on-sale liquor license agreements, which may lure a BBW-type business to Brookings.
                          Can't not dispute anything here. I was aware of the larger retail trade area for Watertown, Jack#1 said in the Buffalo Wings thread that it stretched into Minnesota and north to Aberdeen. Just shop at Hyvee in Watertown on Wednesdays when Seniors get a five per cent discount, and you will most certainly agree that Watertown has a larger trade area. If your 15,000 is accurate, than it indicates in excess of 100 per cent increase since 1960 when the population for Brookings was around 7500. In my time, Brookings non-student population has grown, but it has also drawn populations from smaller surrounding communities, and from decreasing farm population. If we make budget cuts in Farm Subsidies, I think the time has come since those operators still left are doing quite well right now with good planning and decision making, but I suppose lean times are ahead. What ever goes up often comes down. That includes commodity prices.

Comment

This probably doesn't clarify much. But the following is part of a 2010 report by D'Vera Cohn, Senior Writer for Pew Research Center:
                            Where should college students be counted in the 2010 Census -- at their parents' home or their school address? ... The 2010 Census operates on the idea that people should be counted at their usual address. According to census rules, people should be counted ,,, at a residence if they:
                            * Live or stay at the residence most of the time.
                            * Stayed there on April 1, 2010 and had no permanent place to live.
                            * Stay at the residence more time than any other place they might live or stay.
                            See: http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1525/cen...-to-count-them
                            This space for lease.

Comment

The Census Form was kind of confusing of where to claim the students. I think they should make it very simple.

If you return home for the summer to work, etc... you are counted in your hometown.

If you stay in the college town year round (do not return home for the summer), then you should be counted in the college town.

Nobody asked me though, but that is how I filled out the census. Right or wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X