PDA

View Full Version : Jacks Offense worst nightmare

kmax
10-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Get ready to see #91 all over the field.

http://www.bobcatnation.com/galleries/fb_041009_jensen/16.jpg

Don't worry, if you can't stand to watch Coop running your boys down this weekend, you can catch his act next year on Sundays.

Jacks99
10-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Too bad Josh Davis will already be in the endzone when that happens ;D ;D ;D

kmax
10-18-2004, 02:21 PM
You know, I think Coop is about due to record a safety this year, thanks for bringing it up! ;)

Jacks99
10-18-2004, 02:33 PM
I thought this "Coop" was defense, now he's getting sacked for a safety?? ;D

Nelson, is very smart with the ball and is able to get the passes of quickly when the pressure is there.

jacksfaninne
10-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Sundays? Is that when MSU plays its IM flag football games? Or is Big Chicken Coop more likely to play in the IM soccer league?

kmax
10-18-2004, 02:37 PM
Nelson, is very smart with the ball and is able to get the passes of quickly when the pressure is there.

He better be, or the Cats' front seven will be having rabbit stew for lunch Saturday.

kmax
10-18-2004, 02:48 PM
Sundays? Is that when MSU plays its IM flag football games? Or is Big Chicken Coop more likely to play in the IM soccer league?

Oh sorry, I forgot, the Jacks probably don't get too many NFL scouts on campus do they. That's okay, you'll understand after this weeks game.

89rabbit
10-18-2004, 02:51 PM
How many Bobkittens do you have in the NFL? We have 4 Jackrabbits currently. Do you have any in the NFL Hall of Fame? We do.

Go State! ;D

kmax
10-18-2004, 03:05 PM
How many Bobkittens do you have in the NFL? We have 4 Jackrabbits currently. Do you have any in the NFL Hall of Fame? We do.
Two that I know of currently, and the head coach of the 49ers. And yes we do have a hall of famer, Jan Stenerud. While it may not be the most prestigious thing to gloat about a placekicker, when that kicker revolutionized the position, it is a different story.

Go State! ;D
Well 89, at least you got that part right! Go Montana State! ;)

Jack
10-18-2004, 03:19 PM
kmax, it's always good to play another land grant institution.

As far as place kickers are concerned we would never say anything bad because Adam Vinatieri (a Jackrabbit) has won two Super Bowls with his toe. If he keeps this up he'll join your Norwegian ski jumper in the Hall of Fame. I just wish Jan didn't miss that kick against the Dolphins (29 yards?) in the early 70s. People in Kansas City are still mad about that deal.

kmax
10-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Agreed Jack, it is great to be playing another land grant institution. As I said on the other board, just wish we could get you guys into the Sky so this could be a regular occurrence.

Had forgotten that Vinatieri was a Rabbit, he has helped me win many a fantasy football game the last few years, though I would have liked to ring his neck a few years ago on a cold snowy day in January!(Raiders Fan :-[)

89rabbit
10-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Just for fun, lets look at the SI poll

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/polls/2004/cfpolls/

1. Georgia Southern 6-1
2. Southern Illinois 6-1
3. Delaware 5-1
4. William & Mary 5-1
5. Cal Poly 6-0
6. Stephen F. Austin 5-1
7. Furman 5-2
8. Montana 6-1
9. Sam Houston State 5-1
10. James Madison 5-1
11. Northwestern State 5-1
12. Wofford 5-1
13. Pennsylvania 4-1
14. UC Davis 5-1
15. Villanova 4-3
16. Maine 3-3
17. Harvard 5-0
18. Lehigh 5-1
19. Jacksonville State 6-0
20. South Carolina State 5-1
21. New Hampshire 4-2
22. South Dakota State 4-2
23. Eastern Washington 4-3
24. Appalachian State 4-3
25. Hampton 6-1
26. Northern 5-2
27. Northeastern 3-3
28. Northern Iowa 2-4
29. Colgate 4-2
30. Hofstra 3-3
31. Lafayette 5-2
32. Princeton 4-1
33. Northern Arizona 3-3
34. Montana State 4-2
35. Arkansas-Pine Bluff 5-1
36. Rhode Island 3-3
37. Southwest Missouri 5-2
38. Yale 3-2
39. Massachusetts 3-4
40. Alabama State 5-1

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary/Page/Images/Data/7762.jpg
Brad Nelson has all day in the pocket . . . and finds a wide open Josh Davis for a TD. that makes the Score SDSU 21 - Montana State 0! ;)

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Bobcats! ;D

kmax
10-18-2004, 03:47 PM
Brad Nelson has all day in the pocket . . . and finds a wide open Josh Davis for a TD. that makes the Score SDSU 21 - Montana State 0! ;)

Hey after watching the last two Cats games I think you would be better off wishing for us to go out to the 21-0 lead. The Cardiac Cats would probably self destruct if they had a lead like that.

As for the SI poll 89, you know from bobcatnation what I think of that poll. Neither team is ranked by SportsNetwork which is the best poll as far as I am concerned, nor probably should be.

Glad to see I could drum up a bit of activity here though, seemed kind of dead when I came over today. Seems like most fans are looking ahead to the GSU matchup when they got a great game coming up this weekend.

Jacks99
10-18-2004, 04:48 PM
The GSU game is big, but I don't think anyone is looking past this Saturday.

We had a week off and now will be back in it. Everyone must have been working to hard today, I know I was :-[

Dakota
10-18-2004, 07:38 PM
Looking at both teams they finish well, MSU as come from behind last three games to win. The Jacks come from 21 down on the ROAD against Southern (La) and at home against the Nodak Bouffalos. had two 4th down conversion in that last drive against Nodak.

Need I say, we should or could have beaten Poly, but we didn't. That was a game we could do over = blown chances.

--MSU pass game is on,SDSU has great pass game
MSU ranked #34 in 1AA, SDSU ranked #37 in 1AA
=even

--SDSU run game is soild, MSU seem to need more out of theirs
MSU ranked #98 in 1AA, SDSU ranked #70 in 1AA
=SDSU

--Defenses seem even

--MSU home field adv.

Should be a good game, I think teams who grabs game in the third will win out. SDSU is a little more balance, that may hold the adv in 2nd half.

1AA Stats Web Site: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/statistics?group=81

89rabbit
10-18-2004, 08:00 PM
Nice breakdown Kid! 8)

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Bobcats! ;D

SDSUFAN
10-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Kmax
Jim Langer from SDSU center for the Miami Dolphins and Minnesota Vikings is a NFL Hall of Famer.

My father was born in Norway, so I am personally very proud of Jan Stenerud. I also have a lady friend who was born in Norway, who is not a football fan and has seen maybe less than five games, and often asks me, why is it when one guy falls down, the others fall down too? Despite her lack of understanding of the game, she does know who Jan Stenerud is and what he accompolished in the NFL. I am just curious what brought Jan to Bozeman. Does MSU offer sking as a varsity sport or was it offered when Jan came aboard?

kmax
10-19-2004, 09:21 AM
SDSUFAN-

Stenerud was a ski jumper that was at Montana State on a skiing scholarship. MSU just last year restarted its Men's Ski team as a varsity sport. Here is the full story as told by Stenerud from his Q&A at the Pro Football Hall of Fame site:

Hello Jan, I too am a graduate of Montana State University. During my time at MSU I heard several stories about how you were "discovered" by a MSU football coach. Please give us the real story about how you got into American football? Regards, Clete
JS: I was on the ski team and part of the work out was always running the stadium steps. And while the ski team would run the stadium steps, a couple of the football players would kick extra points down on the field. And I went down and kicked a few with the toe, like everybody kicked it in those days. And I asked them if I could kick with the side of my foot, like they take a corner kick in soccer, and they said 'Yes, yes you can.' So I started kicking a few with the side of my foot. And I had never seen anybody on television kick soccer-style. The basketball coach saw me and he ran over to the football coach, his name was Jim Sweeney who later coached at Fresno State and won over 200 games. He saw me a couple of weeks later running the stadium steps and he hollered at me and said 'Hey, get down here. Hear you can kick.' So I kicked a few in front of the team. And they thought I had a chance, and they decided I should go out for spring practice. So I went out for spring practice my senior year and made the team. I kicked a 59-yard field goal, and I got drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs as future draft choice after my senior year.

SDSUFAN
10-19-2004, 09:31 AM
kmax:
Thanks for the info on Jon Stenerud. I wish i could make it this Saturday for the game. I understand our Alumni Association has rented a tent and will have a tailgate party prior to the game. I have passed through Bozeman a few times and was either on my way from/to to a SDSU/Griz game that took place in 1988 and 1993.

I remember now that sking is big in your area. Have two nieces whose families make this a family ritual in Dec/Jan

I am old enough to remember the home and home series between SDSU/MSU that took place I believe between 1954 and 1964. I think the Bobacts lead the series 9-2, but winning those two were big big games for SDSU.

Crashola
10-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Hey KMAX -- Welcome aboard!

I won't be able to follow this weekend's game, but I look forward to Sunday when the Jacks can lay claim to defeating last year's Big Sky co-champion! ;D Heck, if things afterwards go right for the Bobcats, the Jack's will be able to lay claim to defeating this year's Big Sky champs as well! ;D ;D

Seriously though, I echo the above sentiments regarding a fellow land grant university. Whenever my friends from Montana get into a scrum over the Montana/Montana State rivalry, I can't help but side with the Bobcats. So no matter what happens on Saturday, I'll be rooting for the Bobcats in this year's Brawl of the Wild.