• Show
Clear All

Re: Jacks Offense worst nightmare

Nice breakdown Kid! 8)

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Bobcats! ;D

Comment

Kmax
      Jim Langer from SDSU center for the Miami Dolphins and Minnesota Vikings is a NFL Hall of Famer.

My father was born in Norway, so I am personally very proud of Jan Stenerud. I also have a lady friend who was born in Norway, who is not a football fan and has seen maybe less than five games, and often asks me, why is it when one guy falls down, the others fall down too? Despite her lack of understanding of the game, she does know who Jan Stenerud is and what he accompolished in the NFL. I am just curious what brought Jan to Bozeman. Does MSU offer sking as a varsity sport or was it offered when Jan came aboard?

Comment

SDSUFAN-

Stenerud was a ski jumper that was at Montana State on a skiing scholarship. MSU just last year restarted its Men's Ski team as a varsity sport. Here is the full story as told by Stenerud from his Q&A at the Pro Football Hall of Fame site:

Hello Jan, I too am a graduate of Montana State University. During my time at MSU I heard several stories about how you were "discovered" by a MSU football coach. Please give us the real story about how you got into American football? Regards, Clete
        JS: I was on the ski team and part of the work out was always running the stadium steps. And while the ski team would run the stadium steps, a couple of the football players would kick extra points down on the field. And I went down and kicked a few with the toe, like everybody kicked it in those days. And I asked them if I could kick with the side of my foot, like they take a corner kick in soccer, and they said 'Yes, yes you can.' So I started kicking a few with the side of my foot. And I had never seen anybody on television kick soccer-style. The basketball coach saw me and he ran over to the football coach, his name was Jim Sweeney who later coached at Fresno State and won over 200 games. He saw me a couple of weeks later running the stadium steps and he hollered at me and said 'Hey, get down here. Hear you can kick.' So I kicked a few in front of the team. And they thought I had a chance, and they decided I should go out for spring practice. So I went out for spring practice my senior year and made the team. I kicked a 59-yard field goal, and I got drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs as future draft choice after my senior year.

Comment

kmax:
          Thanks for the info on Jon Stenerud. I wish i could make it this Saturday for the game. I understand our Alumni Association has rented a tent and will have a tailgate party prior to the game. I have passed through Bozeman a few times and was either on my way from/to to a SDSU/Griz game that took place in 1988 and 1993.

I remember now that sking is big in your area. Have two nieces whose families make this a family ritual in Dec/Jan

I am old enough to remember the home and home series between SDSU/MSU that took place I believe between 1954 and 1964. I think the Bobacts lead the series 9-2, but winning those two were big big games for SDSU.

Comment

Hey KMAX -- Welcome aboard!

I won't be able to follow this weekend's game, but I look forward to Sunday when the Jacks can lay claim to defeating last year's Big Sky co-champion! ;D Heck, if things afterwards go right for the Bobcats, the Jack's will be able to lay claim to defeating this year's Big Sky champs as well! ;D ;D

Seriously though, I echo the above sentiments regarding a fellow land grant university. Whenever my friends from Montana get into a scrum over the Montana/Montana State rivalry, I can't help but side with the Bobcats. So no matter what happens on Saturday, I'll be rooting for the Bobcats in this year's Brawl of the Wild.

Comment

Working...
            X