The Other Game Sept. 25th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Other Game Sept. 25th

So there's been discussion in the office this week of the other game next Saturday.

The old rival at the new rival. USD at NDSU.

Who do you cheer for?

Still to this day I cheer for whoever plays USD to beat them by the maximum points possible.

Re: The Other Game Sept. 25th

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
    So there's been discussion in the office this week of the other game next Saturday.

Who do you cheer for?

Still to this day I cheer for whoever plays USD to beat them by the maximum points possible.
    NDSU, have to, fiance went to school there

Comment

Who do you cheer for?

USD beating da Bizon. The Yotes would be insufferable! Gophers, Bizon, Sioux OH MY! Jacks would be hearing about it here (because the Coyotes don't even have their own board?)

Good thing there's only a handful of dem mangy varmints!

(Good thing already in smack)

Gotta go for da Red River Cud chewers in da game between des domer homers.

Comment

Really tough one to choice from. Also the more you hear about the USD-UM game, the more I think UM was totally unprepared for the game. If fact less prepared than SDSU was for Wisc-Lacrosse. I suspect UM had USC on their mind, just like the coaching staff at SDSU had Montana on its mind.

USD coaching staff spent the entire summer preparing for this game. Plus playing UCF the week before helped. Any other Bison team I would think would bring USD back down to earth. After listening to the NDSU-UNI game on the radio, it looks like the troubles continue at NDSU. One of the defensive players for UNI was amazed that they used the same set three times in a row and NDSU did not do any adjustment. So that alone kind of tells you that the Bohl staff is not clickiing on same cylinder and true they are playing a bunch of true freshman, but none the less, I think if the Yotes maintain their composure, they should win in Fargo.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Really tough one to choice from. Also the more you hear about the USD-UM game, the more I think UM was totally unprepared for the game. If fact less prepared than SDSU was for Wisc-Lacrosse. I suspect UM had USC on their mind, just like the coaching staff at SDSU had Montana on its mind.

USD coaching staff spent the entire summer preparing for this game. Plus playing UCF the week before helped. Any other Bison team I would think would bring USD back down to earth. After listening to the NDSU-UNI game on the radio, it looks like the troubles continue at NDSU. One of the defensive players for UNI was amazed that they used the same set three times in a row and NDSU did not do any adjustment. So that alone kind of tells you that the Bohl staff is not clickiing on same cylinder and true they are playing a bunch of true freshman, but none the less, I think if the Yotes maintain their composure, they should win in Fargo.
          I've noticed a certain sentiment creeping in, one particularly and not surprisingly, common amongst Bison fans, but also a bit present locally; I think Nidaros' post hits a couple of the notes. The thought is that the only rational explanation for USD's victory is that Minnesota must've been so "terrible" and/or "unprepared." I'll be the first to say Minnesota ends the season near the bottom of the Big Ten. But that doesn't negate the fact that a transitional FCS school just defeated a BCS-Conference FBS program, one coming off a win against a bowl team on the road (granted, Middle Tennessee State without its star QB).

This is your board and there's no obligation, but let's give some credit where credit is due (I do realize a lot of you have, and thanks ). Has it honestly been that bad around here? Sure, there's been some chirping, particularly amongst idiots in the Argus comment section, but didn't you expect it to be a lot worse? I sort of did. I think USD fans, at least the ones with whom I reguarly speak, are generally excited and proud, and hope this win translates into momentum to propel us through the remainder of a very tough season and transition. We still have NDSU, UNI, Cal Poly, Southern Utah and some other tough games on this year's schedule. This Coyote fan's feet are firmly planted on the ground; I know we're going to get hit in the mouth along the way. What I would hope the Minnesota win does is prove to some folks, ones that may have doubted the validity of the USD program, that the Yotes are capable of hitting back.

Anyway, since this is smack...if I wanted to counter the downplay of USD's win over Minnesota, I think I'd start with NDSU. NDSU beat the Gophers during a season in which the Gophers totaled one victory...a defeat of Miami.....of OHIO. And as far as looking ahead to USC goes, I reflect back on SDSU's almost-win against the Gophers. I'm sure Minnesota's full attention was on the Jacks. Why would they possibly think ahead to the following week's game, the season finale against hated rival IOWA?
          University of South Dakota:
          Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

Originally posted by yotemeal View Post
            I've noticed a certain sentiment creeping in, one particularly and not surprisingly, common amongst Bison fans, but also a bit present locally; I think Nidaros' post hits a couple of the notes. The thought is that the only rational explanation for USD's victory is that Minnesota must've been so "terrible" and/or "unprepared." I'll be the first to say Minnesota ends the season near the bottom of the Big Ten. But that doesn't negate the fact that a transitional FCS school just defeated a BCS-Conference FBS program, one coming off a win against a bowl team on the road (granted, Middle Tennessee State without its star QB).

This is your board and there's no obligation, but let's give some credit where credit is due (I do realize a lot of you have, and thanks ). Has it honestly been that bad around here? Sure, there's been some chirping, particularly amongst idiots in the Argus comment section, but didn't you expect it to be a lot worse? I sort of did. I think USD fans, at least the ones with whom I reguarly speak, are generally excited and proud, and hope this win translates into momentum to propel us through the remainder of a very tough season and transition. We still have NDSU, UNI, Cal Poly, Southern Utah and some other tough games on this year's schedule. This Coyote fan's feet are firmly planted on the ground; I know we're going to get hit in the mouth along the way. What I would hope the Minnesota win does is prove to some folks, ones that may have doubted the validity of the USD program, that the Yotes are capable of hitting back.

Anyway, since this is smack...if I wanted to counter the downplay of USD's win over Minnesota, I think I'd start with NDSU. NDSU beat the Gophers during a season in which the Gophers totaled one victory...a defeat of Miami.....of OHIO. And as far as looking ahead to USC goes, I reflect back on SDSU's almost-win against the Gophers. I'm sure Minnesota's full attention was on the Jacks. Why would they possibly think ahead to the following week's game, the season finale against hated rival IOWA?
            Brewster so much as said in the post game remarks that they had not prepared for USD, or something to the affect that they did not have their guys ready. One can read a lot into general comments like that, but I still think that USD was fortunate to catch them unprepared and beat them. That we can not deny. Why would not Minnesota staff be looking beyond USD to USC? That game will be their real challange just as in 2006, Montana was on the minds of the SDSU staff, and Luke Meadow apologized to the entire team for not preparing for UW-Lacrosse. That I know for a fact. Are you saying USD would be Minnesota 2 of 3 or 3out of 3. Fool me once...... BTW the way I am not obligated to look at the USD Football program through red and white glasses either and they are not South Dakota's team either.

Comment

Brewster so much as said in the post game remarks that they had not prepared for USD
              Shocking that the coach would say that. Shocking.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                Shocking that the coach would say that. Shocking.
                Yes it is shocking since he more or less resigned with those comments.

Comment

Brewster so much as said in the post game remarks that they had not prepared for USD, or something to the affect that they did not have their guys ready. One can read a lot into general comments like that, but I still think that USD was fortunate to catch them unprepared and beat them. That we can not deny. Why would not Minnesota staff be looking beyond USD to USC? That game will be their real challange just as in 2006, Montana was on the minds of the SDSU staff, and Luke Meadow apologized to the entire team for not preparing for UW-Lacrosse. That I know for a fact. Are you saying USD would be Minnesota 2 of 3 or 3out of 3. Fool once...... BTW the way I am not obligated to look at the USD Football program through red and white glasses either.
                  Not saying that at all. The point was that I doubt Minnesota football, in its current or past form, held any team with "Dakota" in its name in the same regard as an Iowa, Ohio State or USC. USD was fortunate to get the win, just as NDSU was and SDSU almost was.
                  University of South Dakota:
                  Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

Originally posted by yotemeal View Post
                    Not saying that at all. The point was that I doubt Minnesota football, in its current or past form, held any team with "Dakota" in its name in the same regard as an Iowa, Ohio State or USC. USD was fortunate to get the win, just as NDSU was and SDSU almost was.
                    Of course they would not. Yes USD was fortunate to get the win.

Comment

Not saying U of M was a power last year. They did go to a Bowl (70 out of 120 FBS teams do that though). But, there is a significant probability the Gophers will have only one win this year.

From what I hear from the Cities there may be heads rolling at end of season. So congrats to USD for beating an inept team from a sad program and perhaps pushing out those responsible for that mess.

Of course if the Great West is looking for a new team I nominate the Golden Gophers. Let U. beat them every year.
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Who do you cheer for?

I always cheer for conference mates when they play OOC. Helps conference look stronger, chance for more bids, etc.

UNI plays SFA, this weekend, both are ranked. When NDSU and USD play they will both be ranked. Conference victories against top 25 look good to the playoff committee.

Comment

Always root for your conference.

(Here is to hoping that USD never gets into the Valley)
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I will be rooting for NDSU, simply for the strength of the conference.

The UM game was a huge victory for USD. Regardless of opponents preparedness, beating an FBS is no small feat.

I will say that if the yotes are thinking they played in their toughest venue of the season, they could be in for a surprise. The Fargo Dome with a big crowd and artificial noise is a tougher place to play than TCF Bank. I'm not sure if anybody on USD's current roster has played in an environment like that before.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The crap rolling off your keyboards regarding USD's win at Minnesota is more than I can handle. I had learned to be a secondary fan of the Jacks because of the discussions help on this board, and I always felt that SDSU having success was good for the state, and likewise for USD.

But after our win at Minnesota and reading your responses on here, you have driven me away to ever cheer for your beloved Bunnies. To state that Minnesota didn't even prepare for USD is ridiculous. Link me Nidaros to where Brewster said they didn't prepare at all for USD. No coach takes his team into a game blind.

So many of you on here are downplaying the win and making it sound Minnesota is NAIA at best, yet a year ago, when the SDSU Jacks played them, they were incredibly good, and they were this, and they were that. The truth is they were the same damn team we played this year, and it just makes you ache that we beat them and you didn't. No USD fan came on your board gloating. We took it in stride, but your arrogance regarding USD is stifling.

You are proud of your new AD. I say he isn't a very good businessman. he might be a good dude, but a businessman he isn't. He had a 5 year deal on his desk as late as 3 weeks ago giving you a 3/2 home schedule with GUARANTEED sellout crowds, big gates, low travel xpenses and he turned it down. Why? For two reasons. One, your hatred of USD because you say our fans dissed you when you went D-1, and you have such a Napoleon mentality, tha you just can't overlook it. The second reason you won't play us is because you know damn good and well its's a 50/50 shot we'll beat you. That's right..,..50/50 at best. If we played you with the same passion we played Minnesota, we beat you by 17, and that is just more than you can handle.

And lastly, for those posters that continually blurp Minnesota will win only 1 game all year, I have $5000 to wager that isn't so. I'll take one bet of $5000 or 100 $50 bets. Just PM me, nd we'll make the wager.

When you are as mean and vindictive as you are, watch out that it doesn't come back to haunt you someday.

Go Illinois State

Comment

Working...
                              X