Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
    Some of these kids have started for us, some of these kids went on to earn a scholarship. I don't know enough about this kid to say what he will or will not turn into, but I know he wants to be a Jackrabbit so I think it is ok to talk about him on a discussion board. Sorry he is not the NCAA "can't miss" blue chipper that some on the board really really want to talk about.
    Swing and a miss. I'm glad he is invited to walk-on. Sorry you missed that point. This situation isn't the same as the situation with most of the players you listed. It doesn't matter, some people get it, some people don't. I'm not sure where to put you on that one.

If you think this young man is going to see meaningful playing time you are mistaken to think that way. Doesn't mean he won't see the court, but to expect that he will is just not sensible. He isn't being brought in to take someones scholarship or play meaningful minutes in basketball games. His role will be much different than that.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Swing and a miss. I think you are overstepping your bounds when you tell people what to talk about. Last I checked you don't own the board and you aren't a moderator. Sorry you missed that point.
      Last edited by LakeJack; 05-15-2010, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
        Swing and a miss. I think you are overstepping your bounds when you tell people what to talk about. Last I checked you don't own the board and you aren't a moderator. Sorry you missed that point.
        This.

Even if he doesn't play a second in the next 4 years, it doesn't mean he can't be mentioned in a thread that is 80 plus pages long.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
          Even if he doesn't play a second in the next 4 years, it doesn't mean he can't be mentioned in a thread that is 80 plus pages long.
          Agreed.

hey, if on the women's recruting thread people can mention a player over and over and over and over again who is not even coming to SDSU I would think it would be acceptable to talk about a potential walk on candidate on the mens side.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
            Agreed.

hey, if on the women's recruting thread people can mention a player over and over and over and over again who is not even coming to SDSU I would think it would be acceptable to talk about a potential walk on candidate on the mens side.
            h*** no,what do you think this is?A democracy?

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              h*** no,what do you think this is?A democracy?
              First, I never said he shouldn't be discussed. With the posters who have responded its not a surprise that the intent of my point was missed.

Second, the players mentioned by LakeJack were recruited in a different fashion that this young man. They are not in the same category. I wouldn't refer to them as walk-ons in the true sense of the word.

Lastly, if I was a moderator I wouldn't change the content of this thread one bit. I was only hoping to enlighten a few individuals who seem to imply that our coaching staff made a mistake by inviting a local young man to join the program as a walk-on, not as a recruit.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

TV mentioned this on twitter today, so I figured I'd post it on here as well. SDSU is interested in a 7 footer from Red Wing Minnesota who has been injured most of his career and didn't put up much for numbers in high school.
                http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmana...?z=22&a=454483

Might be a worth while risk with 3 scholarships still available for the 2010-2011 season.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                  Might be a worth while risk with 3 scholarships still available for the 2010-2011 season.
                  I know very little about this player, but after watching the video my first reaction is to agree with Kemo's comment.

Comment

He looks good in the video,when his knee strengthens,he'll be better yet.Pretty impressive ball handling for a 7 footer.

Comment

The thing that struck my attention in the article was where they said he had grown 2 inches and put on 50 lbs. That means at one point he was 6'11" and 175 lbs.....yikes. That would probably explain some of his knee issues back then.

Comment

If he can get his knee healthy, and get a touch more explosive. He would be totally worth getting. He can shoot the 3, handle the ball, which many of our previous bigs lacked. and the fact he is a 7 footer. Even if its like Mark engen type production It will still be a value. We need some height and his potential is well worth offering a schollie.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          If he can get his knee healthy, and get a touch more explosive. He would be totally worth getting. He can shoot the 3, handle the ball, which many of our previous bigs lacked. and the fact he is a 7 footer. Even if its like Mark engen type production It will still be a value. We need some height and his potential is well worth offering a schollie.
                          I'd like to see how he'd do against Sampson 3rd & Colton Iverson,or Benson.What's he got to jump to dunk it ,a foot maybe,that shouldn't be too hard on the knees.I don't think anyone really expects him to take off from the free throw line & slam one down.I don't think anyone would compare him to AIR Jordan.
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 05-29-2010, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                            He looks good in the video,when his knee strengthens,he'll be better yet.Pretty impressive ball handling for a 7 footer.
                            It did appear that this young man can handle the ball. But, I did not see a single orange cone jump out and play defense. Nearly every young man or lady can dribble the ball between their legs going around orange cones.

He shoots the ball well but again with no one defending him. Would he be worth giving an opportunity somewhere? Yes. I however do not believe that Coach Nagy is in any position to make a major mistake. The Jacks need a proven commodity. I've heard it said that hope is not a good strategy in any game plan.

The Jacks do need a big man - NOW.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                              It did appear that this young man can handle the ball. But, I did not see a single orange cone jump out and play defense. Nearly every young man or lady can dribble the ball between their legs going around orange cones.
                              Not as a 7 footer they can't.

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                              The Jacks need a proven commodity. I've heard it said that hope is not a good strategy in any game plan.

The Jacks do need a big man - NOW.
                              Probably not saying anything we all don't already know but at this time of year it is extremely rare to have a "proven commodity" available to any program. So, don't hold your breath on getting a big man right now.

Comment

I'm really surprised that the discussion has lasted so long, without someone using the tried & perfected dicussion killer, "I trust our coaching staff to evaluate recruits and select the best possible recruit"News flash,so's everybody else probably on this board.But, what's that got to do with discussing the merits of someone , in a discussion board no less?No ones going to want to seem to contradict the quote above, so all "discussion" dies as a result of one person arbitrarily deciding that enough has been said.Ya, sometimes the discussion goes on too long & is pointless,but, i just wanted to point out that certain phrases alway's kill discussion.You probably all knew anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X