Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refs

Default Re: Refs

Thanks for the explanations and stories Grizzled Jack!

Quote Originally Posted by jackdaniel View Post
    Home team pays,that explains to some extent some of the "benefit of the doubt calls", I don't mind some of those, it's to be expected somewhat, but if it gets to be too many, it starts to affect the game, and does unfairly put a greater burden on the visitor to win. Also, the money scale is not equal, the p5's having more money pay more, but also probably get more "benefit of the doubt" calls too. You know how it goes...."anytime there's money involved". It is what it is, and for the most part reffing is about as fair to both contestants (teams) as can be I 'd guess. Most games are reffed fairly to both teams despite these other "minor" influences.

My hats off to these guys and gals who have a job where 1/2 (if equal attendence) people in the stands think you did a great job, and the other 1/2 not so much. They must enjoy the games that one side is heavily favored, unless the other team is "oh so close" to pulling off a huge upset, that could be a little more stressful for them.

Never did get an explanation for the call and long review for the Syracuse game (NCAA wbb 2nd rd) where the Syracuse player flew out of bounds and deflected the ball toward Myah Sellends legs, but it hit the floor still out of bounds first, before it hit her legs. Did anyone ever hear the reason for the call? It came at a crucial point late in the game, and the commentators were quite addiment the ball was going to be ours, but it wasn't. It all ended well , the game, but , like I said, never did hear the reason the possession was given to Syracuse.... if anyone knows why, i'd greatly appreciate if you could share the reason the call and review was determined the way it was, just for curiosities sake.
    Ancient story time: Grizzled Jack may recall of what I am speaking. Before the NCC had a full time Commissioner and staff, the NCC members not only had to pay the refs but also got to select them. Back in the Barn for packed SDSU games, SDSU seemed to consistently select a balding middle aged guy named Eddie Livingston and the math professor from USD, Howard Connors. Howard apparently enjoyed is drive to Brookings and had no trouble recalling who paid his fee on the way out of the door. Back in those days the refs were always introduced after the starting fives. Eddie who was somewhat dramatic when making calls often drew a round of boos from the fans, and he would in turn bow to the crowd he loved to stir up. It was really funny. Did they favor the home team? Yes pretty much. I do recall the UNI coach who proceeded Norn Stewart, doing a dance in front of his bench when the calls did not go his way. The name I don't recall, but he looked kind retirement age, and the calls in Brookings probably pushed him along. I recall reading Vern Schoolmeester's master thesis in which he interviewed Coach Iverson who also mentioned the home team hiring refs and he also complained in the Brookings Register about a game in St. Cloud that they narrowly lost and they did not get the calls they needed to win.
    If you look at the game results of USD-SDSU in the 1950's and 1960's, USD pretty much won in Vermillion and lost in Brookings. I think there were two exceptions 1958 and 1963, where both teams were national champions. Both teams were very good and won on the road, despite the homecooking refereeing.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...394853895&mt=2

I'm reposting Jacksfaninne's link. Great podcast. Same war stories I got at the meeting but a lot more of 'em. WELL WORTH LISTENING TO (Yes I'm screaming it.) Thanks for posting this!

You're welcome!

Too bad Dirk hasn't put out anything new recently. And I don't know why some of my favorite episodes aren't showing up for me, but if these do for you, I highly recommend:
    John Cook, Nebraska's great volleyball coach -- interesting thoughts on the entitlement attitudes of many of today's college athletes, how he got into volleyball coaching, how he nearly died
    Trev Alberts, current UNO athletic director -- growing up on a farm, the recruiting process and his days at ESPN

Of the ones that are up, I really liked Charlie McBride, Kyle Peterson, Terry Pettit, Darin Erstad. You don't necessarily need ties to Nebraska to enjoy these ... lots of great stories. Dirk Chatelain is great interviewer/writer.

Love the episode with John Higgins! I’ve had the chance to officiate with his brother Tim. Very polished and easy going while working a game. Never saw him play, but Tim was an excellent basketball player. Drafted by the Warriors out of college.

Quote Originally Posted by Nidaros View Post
    Ancient story time: Grizzled Jack may recall of what I am speaking. Before the NCC had a full time Commissioner and staff, the NCC members not only had to pay the refs but also got to select them. Back in the Barn for packed SDSU games, SDSU seemed to consistently select a balding middle aged guy named Eddie Livingston and the math professor from USD, Howard Connors. Howard apparently enjoyed is drive to Brookings and had no trouble recalling who paid his fee on the way out of the door. Back in those days the refs were always introduced after the starting fives. Eddie who was somewhat dramatic when making calls often drew a round of boos from the fans, and he would in turn bow to the crowd he loved to stir up. It was really funny. Did they favor the home team? Yes pretty much. I do recall the UNI coach who proceeded Norn Stewart, doing a dance in front of his bench when the calls did not go his way. The name I don't recall, but he looked kind retirement age, and the calls in Brookings probably pushed him along. I recall reading Vern Schoolmeester's master thesis in which he interviewed Coach Iverson who also mentioned the home team hiring refs and he also complained in the Brookings Register about a game in St. Cloud that they narrowly lost and they did not get the calls they needed to win.
    If you look at the game results of USD-SDSU in the 1950's and 1960's, USD pretty much won in Vermillion and lost in Brookings. I think there were two exceptions 1958 and 1963, where both teams were national champions. Both teams were very good and won on the road, despite the homecooking refereeing.

Howard Connors was a great guy. And for the record Nidaros the UNI coach ( then called Iowa State Teachers College ) you are referring to dancing was “Dancin Jim Witham”